ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #241
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I started learning by taking apart an old 4.9 from a 93 Ford that was parked at the garage collecting dust. The addiction spread from there!

I did a write-up on the process which is linked on the first page in the first post for those interested.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #242
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Caster plays a big part in it as well. I'm running around 6.7* of caster with my OME HD lift.
Thanks for that. Did you replace the Axle side UCA torx (mine is just about stripped) bolts? If so with what bolts? How long did you adjust the front LCA to gain your caster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I had to return a set of Duratracs because they caused horrible wandering...It is too bad, I love the look and performance of them but they just didn't work for me. They were load range E though, that definately played a factor.
Good to know, perhaps the General Grabber AT2 are having an effect. I may play with PSI's.

Quote:
Yeah that is way out of the ordinary, something is still definitely wrong. I would start by getting the torque wrench out and also doing a "shake down". Have someone get in there and turn the wheel back and forth and see if you can feel any clunks, pops, looseness, or anything out of the ordinary. Regardless of the outcome I would still get the torque wrench out and crank that baby up and make sure everything is TIGHT! I don't know how "correct" this is but, I set my torque wrench to about 10-15% above factory torque specs.
Alright, I will crank everything down, again.

ChrisHager, sorry for the thread jack, great thread build, it's has been extremely informative!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #243
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Not a problem! I had an issue with wandering as well so this is all pertinent!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #244
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

WJ Transmission Oil Cooler Install

As you saw in a previous post, I finally received my Derale 8000 Series Transmission Oil Cooler (#13503). I figured since snobrdrkid07 already did an actual write up (WJ Transmission Cooler and Line Routing), I'd place mine in my build thread instead of making a new thread all together.

First off, this is what comes in the box, minus the torn jeans I'm wearing. You have to make your own.

A nice view through the cooler (Plate and Fin):

Instructions:

For those interested, adapter fitting guide (I didn't use any adapters):

OK, on to the good stuff...

First off, you need to remove the front grill:

Next, loosen the two nuts holding the hood latch bracket in place with a 1/2" socket (sorry for the blurry picture):

Now you can wedge the cooler into the front. I put mine in like this then pivoted it into place.

While it's still loose, you'll want to place the sticky pads on the back of the cooler's mounting surface. I'd also recommend installing your hoses to the cooler now. I did not and regretted it later. Once this is done, slip it behind the hood latch bracket.

The higher you mount the cooler, the tighter the fit. I kept mine a bit lower as to avoid too much pressure on the cooler.

When you're satisfied with the location, install the Mounting Rods through the cooler's tabs.

On the back side, slip on the Mounting Clips and snug them up. The Derale print faces out.

Snip off the excess (be careful not to damage the radiator like I did).

Lastly, tighten the hood latch bracket nuts. Ensure the hood latches properly.

Next up is running the lines. I installed mine as such:

Transmission --> Aux Cooler --> Factory Cooler --> Transmission

Per the Aux Cooler, I ran the supply line into the bottom inlet and the return out of the top.

Under the vehicle, the lower line that routes toward the top of the photo is the supply line from the transmission.

Remove that line from both connectors.

Next, you want to feed your hoses from the aux cooler down towards these connectors. From the top, you can see where I routed them down. I should note I needed an extra transmission fluid hose. Be sure when you buy one to get a high pressure hose.

From under the vehicle, you can see where I ran both hoses. Disregard the wires.

To complete the loop and flow the fluid in the direction I chose, the hose coming from the bottom of the aux cooler attaches to the supply fitting from the transmission. The hose from the top of the aux cooler attaches to the fitting connected to the factory cooler.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the loop in the line. The fitting to the factory cooler angles in such a way I found I needed to backtrack the hose once it was routed under the vehicle. I left plenty of slack in the hose and zip-tied it to keep it out of the way. If you go this route, be sure not to crease the line. If I have some tinkering time in the future, I'll look for another possible solution to this though I don't foresee any issues the way it's currently looped.

Lastly, check your fluid level and add as necessary. I ended up adding about a quart. Check for any leaks, install the front grill, and you're ready to go!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #245
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Besides installing the transmission cooler last weekend, I also changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, rotated the tires, and cleared the codes. So far, none of the misfire codes have come back.

Here's a picture of the spark plugs. They seem to be in good shape minus what appears to be carbon build up on a few of them. Anyone have thoughts on this?

As a side note, I found the coil rail is quite... ummm... fragile. When I removed mine, I placed it towards the front of the open hood. Before I had even turned around, it slid off and snapped in half. Fortunately, I had an extra one in the garage from my father-in-law's TJ. Needless to say, be gentle with yours when you remove it.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #246
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Looks like a pretty good install man! (Feel free to copy and paste the entire thing in the other thread if you want to.) But I want to see some more pictures of how you routed the lines, looks like you did not go on top of the power steering box like I did.

Also, that bend really isn't ideal...
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #247
JrodWebb
2003 WJ 

Chris,
Just found your thread and wanted to thank you for all of the pictures, they're a big help! Good to see you've gotten to the aux cooler, interested to see what changes you see. Did you ever get the results on the lab work for oil and t-fluid? Also what transmission filter did you get for the last flush? Notice any junk come through with the flushes? Thanks, Jared
JrodWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #248
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Glad you liked my thread!

I'm curious as well if I notice any difference with the aux transmission oil cooler added. I haven't noticed much so far but it hasn't been very hot here lately.

I have two bottles of oil sitting on top of the fridge waiting to be sent in to Blackstone Labs. Every time I think about sending them in, I'm busy and think "I'll take care of that later", which naturally means I forget completely until I see them again.

Per the transmission filters, I keep using the Power Torque brand from O'Reilly's. So far, I haven't had any issue with them. The fluid changes came out quite clean as well too. While it costs more to do the fluid changes as I did, I hope it prolongs the life of the transmission, especially paired with the new aux cooler.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #249
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
...I want to see some more pictures of how you routed the lines, looks like you did not go on top of the power steering box like I did...
I'll see about getting pictures this weekend for you!

Quote:
Also, that bend really isn't ideal...
I know... I'm trying to figure out how to route it differently but the only other way I can think of would be to route it around the passenger side and across to that fitting. That would be quite a bit of exposed transmission hose. I'll have to poke around and see if there's another way.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #250
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I'll see about getting pictures this weekend for you!
I know... I'm trying to figure out how to route it differently but the only other way I can think of would be to route it around the passenger side and across to that fitting. That would be quite a bit of exposed transmission hose. I'll have to poke around and see if there's another way.
Ah thank you, pretty curious as to where that goes. I was not thrilled with running it by the steering box but really have not had any issues.

I almost wonder if you could cut some of the metal pipe off so it faces straight down. Then you can run the hose up to it, instead of back and around. Just some thoughts.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #251
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I was able to put the WJ to the test yesterday. My step-dad had an old Allis Chalmers tractor that was parked for years at the edge of the property. He recently found a buyer and needed to drag it out. Unfortunately, the drive tires were locked up creating a massive skid. He hooked his F350 dually up to it and couldn't pull it out so he gave me a call. I only had the TJ on hand at the time and tried to tug them out. Poor thing didn't have enough weight. I then grabbed the WJ and was able to tug both of them out. Here's the video (How do I post them so they're view-able from JF?). Oh, and sorry for the side angle... Mom turned the camera half way through to get a shot of everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u6iF...ature=youtu.be

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #252
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Video sucks, but is simultaneously very cool! Nice work. Reminds me of the one with the lifted WJ yanking a semi truck + trailer up a hill in the snow.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #253
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Video sucks...
Yeah it was a last minute 'Hey Mom, record this with my phone.' kind of situation. She did pretty good for not knowing how to record with the phone while simultaneously watching Elias.

Quote:
Reminds me of the one with the lifted WJ yanking a semi truck + trailer up a hill in the snow.
I thought the exact same thing. That video was impressive!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #254
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I may be repeating something or my computer is strange but....um...none of your posts are showing a single picture for me. Just blank "there should be a pic here" boxes.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #255
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I just noticed that yesterday. I host my pictures through photobucket. Their free accounts are only allowed 10GB of bandwidth for picture viewing and it appears I've reached the limit for this month - I have 16 days left as well before they start the month over. So, it looks like it's time for me to be a paying member of photobucket! I'll try and get that sorted out today. Thanks for letting me know though!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.