Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Snobrdrkid's 04 Overland Build Thread

48K views 622 replies 28 participants last post by  snobrdrkid07 
#1 ·
On August 1st 2015 I was fortunate enough to add a second WJ to the Jeep family. A 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in excellent shape from the previous owner 04Overland47. The Overland will serve as my primary daily driver while my original Blue WJ will stay as well. Maybe I can finally go crazy with the blue WJ one day. Anyways, I have some small things planned for the Overland and as time goes by I am sure that list will likely grow. :cool: Going to keep this Jeep, as I do with most everything I own, at top notch. This will be another fun journey!

The Build Sheet:

Code:
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 
*TL Lux Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats 
-DB Dk/Lt Slate Gray 
ADES Cold Weather Group 
ADLS Skid Plate Group 
AFFS Luxury Group 
AHX Trailer Tow Group IV 
APAS Monotone Paint 
ARGS Overland Decor Group 
ATCS Radio-CD/Cass/10 Disc/Infinity Spkrs 
AWBS Quadra-Drive II (R) 4WD System 
A83P 4.7LHO Eng(EVC)/5spdA/T 5-45Rfe(DGQ) 
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator 
BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery 
BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes 
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats 
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel 
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat 
CGSS Supplemental Side Air Bags 
CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready 
CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags** 
CJ2P Supp. Side Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags 
CKDS Floor Carpet 
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet 
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops 
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats 
CLGS Covered Cargo Storage 
CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net 
CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads 
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover 
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles 
CUDS Mini Overhead Console 
CUFS Full Length Floor Console 
DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions 
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission 
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter 
DHFP Quadra-Trac II On Demand 4WD System 
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle 
DMES 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio 
DRKS Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle 
DSBP Vari-Lok Progressive Front Axle 
DSCP Vari-Lok Progressive Rear Axle 
EVC 4.7L V8 High Output MPI Engine 
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass 
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass 
GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass 
GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass 
GFAS Rear Window Defroster 
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors 
GNKS Rear View Auto Dim Mirror 
GT3S Power Mirrors, Fold-Away 
GWAS Power Sunroof 
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry 
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System 
HAFS Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control 
HGAS Hood Insulation 
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group 
JA6S Electroluminescent Instr Cluster 
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer 
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer 
JHCS Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers 
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns 
JJJP 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet 
JKAS Locking Glove Box 
JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet 
JKYS Power Accessory Delay 
JPBS Power Locks 
JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch 
JTFP Power 10-Way Heated Memory Seats 
K4DS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR 
K9KS  
LACS Illuminated Entry 
LAGS Warning Chime 
LAZP Vehicle Information Center 
LBBS Courtesy Lamps 
LBCS Glove Box Lamp 
LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps 
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp 
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer 
LEWS Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory 
LMBS Halogen Headlamps 
LMGP Automatic Headlamps 
LNJS Fog Lamps 
LPSS CHMSL Lamp 
LSAS Security Alarm 
MDAS Front License Plate Bracket 
MFDS Bright Grille 
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings 
MTBP 4.7L HO Badge 
MT2S Trail Rated Badge 
MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge 
MVCS Jeep Badge 
MVEP V-8 Badge 
MWES Side Roof Rails 
MWF Adjustable Roof Rail Crossbars 
MZBS Quadra Drive Badge 
MZMS Overland Badge 
NAS 50 State Emissions 
NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions 
NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank 
NHFP Power Steering Cooler 
NHMS Speed Control 
NMHP Hydraulic Engine Cooling 
PDR Graphite Metallic Clear Coat 
QDRS Graphite Metallic Clear Coat 
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles 
RB1 AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio 
RCES Infinity Speakers 
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna 
RDPP 10-Disc Remote CD Changer 
RDZP Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls 
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering 
SCWS Wood/Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel 
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension 
SUAS Tilt Steering Column 
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire 
TBWS Full Size Spare Tire w/Matching Whl 
TS6S P235/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires 
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires 
WGWS 17" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels 
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels 
XAM Power Adjustable Pedals w/Memory 
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield 
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield 
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
Where it started: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04overland47s-wj-build-thread-1405438/

Oh, Snobrdrkid07 has been my username for about a decade now and it kind of stuck. Translation, Snowboarder Kid, I used to snowboard a ton when I was younger. Just an fun fact.

See less See more
#4 ·
Subbed!

:highfive:

#5 ·
Just a quick update, this is the smoothest Jeep I have had the pleasure to ride in going down the road. I was cruising along and didn't even realize I was doing over 80, effortlessly. The torque is ridiculous.

I have already added a USA-SPEC iPod adapter to the RB1 radio and it interfaced through the CD changer cable. Works pretty well and I am so far very pleased. The Infinity System is really nice compared to the base model system. I have some more audio upgrades coming, although will be keeping the RB1 and Infinity amp as it works just fine and the RB1 looks really clean.

This weekend I plan on getting some things done:
- Oil Change with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5w-30
- Transmission fluid change with Castrol ATF+4 and Wix 4WD filters
- New Transmission pan with a drain plug for easy service next go around :cool:
- Valvoline Power Steering fluid that meets the Chrysler MS-5931 (turkey baster method, and I have a gallon of the fluid I am going to cycle through)

#7 ·
Just a quick update, this is the smoothest Jeep I have had the pleasure to ride in going down the road. I was cruising along and didn't even realize I was doing over 80, effortlessly. The torque is ridiculous.

I have already added a USA-SPEC iPod adapter to the RB1 radio and it interfaced through the CD changer cable. Works pretty well and I am so far very pleased. The Infinity System is really nice compared to the base model system. I have some more audio upgrades coming, although will be keeping the RB1 and Infinity amp as it works just fine and the RB1 looks really clean.

This weekend I plan on getting some things done:
- Oil Change with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 5w-30
- Transmission fluid change with Castrol ATF+4 and Wix 4WD filters
- New Transmission pan with a drain plug for easy service next go around :cool:
- Valvoline Power Steering fluid that meets the Chrysler MS-5931 (turkey baster method, and I have a gallon of the fluid I am going to cycle through)
For the trans pan are you just thinking the Dorman one from Rockauto? I know PML makes a trans pan but it's realllll expensive. Just curious, as I've been thinking about doing this too.

#6 ·
Why do you get all of the Jeep luck? Where was this when I was looking for a replacement a few years back? I ended up with a Toyota. Yes, so you should feel guilty. :p

Great looking Dub, snowboy. Now, it's time to get to work. Btw, I've been running same Mobil 1 in the 4Runner. It's great stuff. I know Amsoil is supposed to be better, but you can get Mobil 1 for around half the price. Amsoil has priced themselves out of my budget. Enjoy the WJ!

#9 ·
I have been running Mobil 1 for years now in most all of our cars. Oil analysis to boot as well, always came back good. I do not know about guilty, but I feel pretty lucky! :cool:

For the trans pan are you just thinking the Dorman one from Rockauto? I know PML makes a trans pan but it's realllll expensive. Just curious, as I've been thinking about doing this too.
Hey man, I went with the Dorman pan of off Amazon for about $22 shipped. Can't beat the price and it has the drain plug as I said previously. Going to be worth every penny the next time I do the trans fluid. PML was just way out of the budget, unfortunately.

So you're gonna put 35's on it, right? :cool:
HAH! Don't think I will be doing that for a long, long time. The Blue WJ may get 35's down the road! :laugh:

#10 ·
First Oil Change, Check. Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage Advanced Fully Synthetic with a Mopar Filter.

Transmission fluid change, filter change, and new pan, Check. Dropped the pan, spun off the old filter, pulled the old pan filter. Spun on the new one hand tight, gave the new pan filter a good whack to seat it. (The o-ring thing was seated on the valve body before putting on the filter.) New pan installed with drain plug! Added about 7.75 quarts back to the trans to get it to the appropriate hot level.

Ran about a gallon and a half of the Valvoline power steering fluid though, going from pretty brown to light brown. Have more to go there. Doing the turkey baster method. Didn't and don't really want to pull the lines.

Swapped out some brake fluid, basted the reservoir and filled with fresh fluid x3. In preparation for bleeding out the system. I believe sending fresh fluid through the lines is better than sending the old fluid through and then clean fluid.

#11 ·
Road tripped today from Williamsburg to Pittsburgh and the V8 took the highways and hills without skipping a beat or evening sweating. Cruised between 70 and 80 mph with the trunk pretty loaded and managed 19.6 mpg "by-hand" calculated. I would say that is pretty darn good and the motor is running strong and well. I know my 4.0 WJ didn't hit those MPG numbers because it had to work so hard at those speeds and downshift more frequently. So the V8 will definitely do better on fuel!

#12 ·
At 75 on the highway, my 4.7L downshifts if it even smells a hill coming. Using the cruise control is an exercise in frustration as it doesn't downshift until it's bled off 6-7mph, then it takes it's sweet time holding the gear before it upshifts. Not sure why this is the case when I'm only on 32s - I didn't think re-gearing would be an issue until I was on 35s.

I think my 190K 4.7L is pretty tired and down on power.

#13 ·
Wow that's a difference for sure. Even on extended grades it maintained speed without even the idea of coming out of 5th. I heard the cruise apply more throttle of course but it wasn't enough where it needed to downshift. (The exhaust has a noticeable tone change while under load.) Only thing I noticed was the engine temperature went from about 198 to 205 on the grades. Never touched 210 though which is good. Maybe the difference lies with the regular and HO 4.7.

#15 ·
There are 245/65/17's on it, which I think are about ~30". The grades were not anything crazy, I do not recall there even being signs warning for steep grades.

#16 ·
That's quite a difference from 32's, and again, you have the HO verses the regular 4.7. You'd be surprised how quickly bigger tires will bog down an engine. I forget the formula, but you lose a percentage of torque with increase in circumference. Depending on what you use your Jeep for, it's always best to weigh the size advantage of your tires with your daily needs and the negative impact they'll have on your power to the ground. I had 3.73's in my ZJ, and just going up to 30's made it a dog. I imagine the HO you have can handle a lot more, especially as close to sea level as you live. What do you plan on doing down the line as far as tire size goes?

#17 ·
No lift or increased tire size planned for this Jeep. Being at sea level or close to it, helps!
4.7 235HP / 295TQ
4.7 HO 270HP / 330TQ
Tuned 4.7 HO 295HP / 355TQ (estimated as of now, have friends with a dyno that is currently being built/installed)
All of the above at the crank under the ideal conditions. But looking at numbers, there is an advantage.

#18 ·
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably have to do an engine swap at some point in the next year or two. When I first bought it, it burned oil pretty bad but an oil change to high-mileage synthetic seemed to fix it - until I got on the trails and went into 4-low, then the blue smoke reappeared. And that's pretty much the way it works now - no smoke on the roads, bad smoke on the trails. Such is life.

I read up a little on maybe doing a 5.7 Hemi swap, but apparently that's a nightmare conversion. I also thought about an LS swap but that feels a little traitorous. I've thought about going with a HO when the time comes, but they're significantly more $$ than the standard 4.7, which I don't think is really worth just a 35HP/TQ gain. It surprises me that there's not more aftermarket performance options for the 4.7l, given how prolific they are. I'll probably just swap in a remfd standard 4.7 - keep it simple. You don't really need that power on the trails anyway, and if I want power on the street, I'll take my Caddy (STS-V :2thumbsup:)

#19 ·
Do you think it is your valve seals or piston rings? Wonder where the oil was getting into the combustion chamber from. A new/reman motor swap in would be a pretty penny but I'll be the performance would jump.

The Hemi swap has been done but like you said, it is a nightmare.

#20 ·
My bet is rings since it happens while the engine is under load and not just at start up.

#22 ·
That would make sense, unfortunately. How much oil does your 4.7 consume? Apparently all of them consume some oil to begin with.

Also, your new avatar is throwing me off!
First time I have changed it in probably 4 or 5 years!

#21 ·
Also, your new avatar is throwing me off!

#23 ·
Yeah, we're pretty sure it's piston rings. I suppose a rebuild could work, rather than a full remfd engine, but I'd be nervous about other worn components making a rebuild a high risk for other future failure. I've seen remfd 4.7's online for about $2500, but not sure about quality. It seems replacement engines are always a crap shoot.

#25 ·
I have heard good things in the past about Jasper engines and transmissions.

I suppose if you had a free 1-2 weeks, you could do an entire rebuild from the block up. I don't have the time, tools, or know how to do it. Although with a good set of instructions and procedures I think I could do it.

#24 ·
Success, first report from me was great! Hopefully this will continue for a long long time!

Attachments

#26 ·
I have 3 pairs of Philips HIR Bulbs on the way! Can't wait to see the difference.

#28 ·
9012 Lows, 9011 Highs, 9011 Fogs, (Ordered another set of 9011's from Amazon) :D

#29 ·
Ahhhh.

:popCorn:

#30 ·
Front windows tinted!

#31 ·
Nice! 35%?

#32 ·
You got it, 35%. Now I have to let it dry for like 48 hours before rolling down the windows. He said the bubbles will evaporate within a week. It looks really nice and the pictures make it look a little darker than it actually is.