04 Grand Cherokee Off Road Light Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 Grand Cherokee Off Road Light Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

04 Grand Cherokee Off Road Light Install

I was on here a week or two ago and saw someone had posted up a link for off road lights at a discounted rate from harbor freight. So I went and bought two sets of them. Here is the final product:

I'll try to do a bit of a write up for everyone interested. This idea started out when I installed my tow hooks. I was told that I would be able to strengthen the tow hooks a bit if I ran a steel plate between the two:

Right Tow Hook Bolt:

Left Tow Hook Bolt:

So I bought:

I cut this to 22 3/4" and drilled the holes at 21 1/4" on center. (If you do this, please double check my measurements before you start)

For two of the mounting tabs, I used:

I cut them to 7".

I drilled holes in both sides of the 7" tabs. I also drilled a hole in each side of the main support bar to mount the two outside lights and two holes towards the middle to mount the lower inner lights. I can't remember where exactly I drilled the holes as I was getting tired and forgot to take pictures. Just eyeball it and then measure in equally for each side.

So now I have a main support bar with 6 holes: 2 to mount to the jeep and 4 to mount the lights. I mounted the two 7 inch tabs with I believe 2.5 inch bolts and used washers to space out the width as to not hit the bumper with the tabs. The lower inner two lights I mounted straight to the main support with a few washers as spacers. When I had everything set and test fitted, I took it all apart, scuffed all the metal with a grinder, primed, and painted to avoid rust.

Put it all back together and mounted them up (sorry for the quality):

The red arrow shows where the middle light mounts to the bar. The green arrow shows how the 7" tab mounts to the main support bar. The blue arrow shows the main support bar mounted to the tow hook/tow hook mounting plate. So now I have a little extra support on the tow hooks and a light bar with no modification to the vehicle.

I was able to run all the wires through the firewall(?) and mounted the two switches under the dash on a little hidden plastic strip. This worked well as it's out of sight yet still easy to get to.

Interesting Saturday project but pretty easy really. This could be done much more advanced with welding and such (which I may eventually do when I get time) but it demonstrates what you can make with a few simple tools and some patience. They are quite sturdy and can be undone very easily with no marks or holes in the body as well which is nice.

Let me know what you think or if you want any more pictures. If people are interested, I could probably pop it off one afternoon and take a picture of the whole mounting assembly with the lights attached.

Chris

ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If you do any kind of wheeling dont think those bottom ones are gunna last too long. I had a set there years ago. They lasted 3 weeks and one rock.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
wyattrhicks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Man! link those lights im intrested
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Can you put up a daytime shot from the front. I already have the lights, just not sure when I want to mount them. Was originally going to fab up a light bar for across the top, but I think these lights are a little too big and it doesnt look that good.
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here is the link for the lights:
http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html

Yeah I imagine I'll snap one off someday but for the price I got them at, definitely worth it even if they only last me a month. I think both sets, extra wire, and all the metal/hardware cost me less than a tank of gas. Plus now I have mounting points for some more durable ones in the future if I find I break these too quickly.
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

And yeah I'll take a picture in the morning before I leave for work and hopefully get it uploaded around lunch.
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I had a set of those, not bad for $20. However, they are really a tight long-range spot pattern, the adjusters are hard to set as they are notched, and overall I didn't find them that useful. Also, with the grid on the front that is not removable, it's hard to get mud out of them. The $60 Hella 500s are three times as expensive but worth every penny.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah I too noticed how direct of a spot they are. They don't seem too difficult to adjust but then again, I've never worked with nice lights. Haha. They may have made changes to these lights since you last had them. The ones I have have removable front pieces for cleaning and bulb replacement purposes...

Sorry I haven't taken a front pic yet... It has been raining all day...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The ones I had look identical, but you have to completely diassemble them to change bulbs or clean behind the mesh lens guard.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Any day time pictures? I went out and bought 2, but I think I may get another set, just trying to get an idea of where to mount them.
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Sorry I haven't gotten that up until now. I think this will work for ya. Let me know if you need anymore!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
justn
2002 WJ 

Could you get a pic of where you have your switch placed?
justn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Thanks man, looks great. I may be doing the same thing.
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

That's a sweet setup. Thumbsup!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for compliments. Here is a picture of the switches. If you look up under there, there is a nice piece of plastic you can attach the switches to.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.