12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #91
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

I just got to the shop and scanned it again today I only have codes for the two o2 sensors being unplugged

DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #92
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Ive read on here that the cps also controls fuel pump voltage too,food for thought
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #93
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

To test the output of the cam sensor and get an accurate reading with a meter, you need to disconnect the coil wire, turn the key on, rotate the crank with a wrench and read the peak voltage. When running, the meter averages the signal since it is pulsed DC.

The scope will tell the tale. Be ready to see a lot of stray voltage.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #94
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

The cam position sensor read well on the scope, stayed steady at 5v with good looking intervals inbetween when I went to scope the crank sensor I was putting my lead into the signal wire at the plug on the main harness side and the jeep stalled. I took the plug apart and found that the signal wire had horrible terminal tension so I adjusted that and put the plug back together, I did not have time to try and scope it again today so that's another project for tomorrows list. I took it for a drive and it stalled about 3 times in a 5 mile distance with the only difference being I could just turn key and it would restart and I did not have to get out and pull a fuse out. Gonna do some more testing tomorrow as time allows
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #95
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The cam sensor connector gave me fits. I made it quit by squeezing the springs in the sockets together.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #96
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

shameless for an update
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #97
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

No real new updates to report. Everything seemed normal in the scope sadly I am unable to print any data or save live screen because um using the bear system with software from the mid to late 90s and when I try to take a picture of the screen with my phone the picture comes out with black lines across the screen I ended up adjusting the terminal tension on the crmank position sensor plug with neither positive of negative results I took the jeep on a 150+ mile roundly trip Sunday and it stalled only one time on the highway at about 70mph and started back up in under two mins with no fuse removal needed. It stalled once on me this morning in traffic but I have noticed that I can almost catch it before it stalls. It spikes in rpms before it dies about a 500-1000 rpm spike and if I tap the gas I can catch it but it seems to have a two stall attempt to it, once I catch it and give it gas to stay alive I have about a 2-3 second grace period before it isles up and tries to stall again so long as I catch it both times with the gas pedal it continues to run fine and even if it did die without me catching it all I have to do is firm the key too off and to run again and it starts right back up I have not had time to do further diag with being so bust in the shop and the intense heat outside.
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #98
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Have you had the same results with three different computers?

Have you scoped it while moving everything around uner the hood and tapping on different sensors?
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #99
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Same results with all three computers I didn't really wiggle the wires or connectors around much when I scoped it
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #100
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Try it, you might like it
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #101
nutwood

I love this write up and now, I'm now going to do the unforgivable, ask for advice, even though I've read and re-read the dirty dozen. The problem is so simple. 97/98 ZJ that loses it's settings, or so it appears.
Starts running like a dog, stalling every time you slow down, basically showing all the symptoms that I once would have ascribed to a blocked idle jet. Take the battery terminal off, leave for a few minutes, re-connect. Problem solved, for a few weeks.
Now, taking a battery terminal off is not hard. Every few weeks is not too big a deal, but now it's every few days and I can see where we are heading!
This is a RHD vehicle and the black boxes are out there in the open. All looks really solid and so far wiggling hasn't indicated anything. At first I looked at battery terminals and earthing points but I've worked through those. I'm wondering about a cracked solder joint somewhere in the brain but tracking that down is an escalation of the campaign so I'm asking for help from anyone who's had a similar problem and nailed it?!
nutwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #102
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutwood View Post
stalling every time you slow down,
Have you cleaned the IAC and checked for vac leaks?
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #103
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

For all of you with short attention spans, the critical points are in bold font.

Broke the 20k mark!
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #104
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I think they call it ADHD, Zeejay. We have meds for that, but a well placed thump on the noggin' usually works. ( I know, because I've deserved quite a few in my lifetime...usually administered by an old Master Chief)

Back to the stalling issues....
Here's another one for the endless list of possibles:

Since the PCM gathers data from the TPS, Crank Sensor, Cam sensor and Coolant sensor at start up and then adds the upstream o2 sensor at warm up, it's critical that all those connections be secure. That's a given.

I found a new one today. The black/light blue wire on my TPS connector is funky. It's also the Ground ( through the PCM) for ALL of the above mentioned sensors. I isolated the single wire by removing the outer sheath and wiggled it up close to the TPS while the engine was idling. Guess what ? The idle picked up as if I had pressed the gas pedal. I think Rockauto sells those connector ends and if not, I'll snatch one from a junk yard. One more problem down....100's to go.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #105
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

mopar#5013999AA if its the same as a 98.

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.