46re Tutorial - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 46re Tutorial

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
baxy

bit better pic it illistrate seal if you check this drum when you take it apart you will not feel ant lip or edge at all that is what is causing the late 3rd or the slipping 3rd

direct piston
lube seals and drum liberally

this one just pushes in no tools needed

return springs

foot operated clutch spring compressor

push down retainer and install snap ring

make sure it is fully seated behind tabs

assembled first steel installed

fiber (note I forgot to mention the thin fibers are for the rear drum and the thicker ones are for the front drum )

pressure plate and wave snap ring
this drum has 4 fibers in it most 46RE transmissions come with 3 disc drums
some can be made to accept 4 discs like I did with this one it used to have a really thick pressure plate so I subsituted it for a thinner one made for 4 discs this mod gives you 33% more clutch surface area the clearance can be quite loose here Ilike to run it with about .035" but I have seen them as high as .060" without a problem

install front drum onto rear drum twisting and spinning until it seats all the way down

install into transmission twisting and spinning until everything drops into place, when you think you have it down lift slightly and let it go you should hear a sharp thud like it hit bottom firmly

baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
baxy

front drum sitting properly into sun shell

front band (2nd gear) band strut and anchor this band is the HD version from a diesel 100% direct replacment

drop band over input shaft wrap it around front drum and install strut and anchor

anchor

screw in adjuster just enough to hold band in place

pump gasket and alignment pins (cut off 5/16 bolts)

cleaned pump ready to assemble

diesel pump bushing (holes hold extra oil)

notice puzzle lock in bushing
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
baxy

not small cut out in pump body and puzzle lock .... make sure they DO NOT line up

drive bushing in with appropriate driver

stake bushing into cutouts ... if puzzle lock was lined up it just wouldnt work out if you tried staking it

close up of stake

pump seal packed with grease and green locktite on outside diameter

seal installed using same driver as bushing

install pump gears well lubed this one I packed them with grease mostly because these transmissions may sit on the shelf for months also the grease helps create the initial suction to pick up oil when started for the first time

torque stator bolts to 21 ft/lbs using blue locktite again, pump washer installed at this time also pump O-ring

rings installed ends interlocked

lube O-ring and rings also stator inner diameter, drop into pump should take moderate pressure to pop into the case replace washers on the pump bolts and torque to 21 ft/lbs

grip with vise grips gently lift up and down checking for endplay ... remembr I installed an extra shin into the input shaft this trans came out to about .005" I like them tight as it increases seal ring life
some of these transmissions run quite a bit of endplay up to .035" sometimes a bit more
IF you have none and didnt install an extra shim you mostl ikely have a thrust bearinf upside down in the OD unit or the input shaft rear clutch is hung up on one if the clutch plates
if you are loose and want to re adjust pull pump then input shaft and change the shim in the input shaft it sometimes takes a couple tries to get it right
a little extra effort here will make your trans last alot longer
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
baxy

get the trans up on the bench and adjust bands, I suggest you use the maunal ... I don't I use experience and have a way that I find works best

this is the low/rev band adjuster turn the center bolt to adjust and tighten nut to lock it in place

pry the lever up and down looking at the travel I like to end up with about 3/8" travel with light pressure on the screw driver

front band (2nd) adjuster tighten center bolt to adjust and tighten nut to lock it in place

pry with screw driver same as low band and note travel I like 1/4" travel
the clearance here is for band clearance to the drum ... obviously too tight and the band will burn ... too loose and we will have timing and durability issues ... this adjustment also sets the volume for the direct clutch accumulator... part od the function of the servo is to act as the direct accumulator the trans hast to use direct oil to push off the band this is a simple way chrysler uses to reduce tie up between gears ... ie the band does not release unless direct oil overcomes 2nd oil if there is a massive leak in 3rd somewhere the band doesnt release and you stay in second
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
baxy

ok hopefully I can get some time to take pics of the VB and continue this tutorial
if not tomorrow I will get some pics maybe from a spare VB sooner or later
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #21
baxy

it took longer to do this write up than it does to rebuild the whole transmission !!!! LOL
Unread 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #22
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

so far it's exactly the same as a 44re rebuild and you can do the same upgrades.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
baxy

VALVE BODY start by installing clip supplied in shift kit , if your not installing shift kit then watch for the steel ball that will fly away when you remove rooster comb

remove 3 screws holding pressure reg spring retainer on take not of where the short one comes out of
take note of which way the valves come out

now you can remove the E-clip from the rooster comb and remove it and the TV rod

remove pipe on left side of VB remove GOVENOR body remove solenoids
remove all screws holding VB together

remove OD accumulator and spring notice spring is broken

remove plate ** if your VB has this check ball take not it is smaller than the rest and it must be reinstalled **

not checkball locations the shift kit has a diagram of this so don't be too worried about it

remove screws from plate

note 2 checkballs we will only be rinstalling one (with or without shift kit)

TV valve train

here are the new shift kit parts and the new electrical
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

That's an excellent walkthrough, would it also apply to the 46RH?
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #25
baxy

drill .050" hole thru casting at this point

using tool and 3/16 drill bit cut a groove in casting

this is what it should look like

drill seperator plate 3/16 here for HD use ** the kit does not recomend drilling here on JEEPS *** If it was mine and I was running big tires and more power I would drill if it was my daily driver probably not

drill 3/16 all models

drill 1/8 if hole is here if no hole dont drill one (I've never seen a plate without it)

if there are 2 holes here drill smaller one 1/8 if only one hole the kit will tell you to drill it out to a bigger size I think 3/16 or you can just leave it

drill .093" optional HD

clean and install just the one checkball shown

assemble plate with new filter and stiffener plate try to line up the hole best you can

remove 3 screws in this piece

replace purple spring with black from kit
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #26
baxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
That's an excellent walkthrough, would it also apply to the 46RH?
the RH is very similar the OD unit is different as it contains the hydrsulic govenor assembly
the 3 speed is the same and the VB is a bit simpler
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #27
baxy

ok remove cover here and pull out plug and spring this may be different colors

remove E-clip

remove valve

replacement valve ** not needed or supplied if your VB does not have the black plastic GOV sensor **

lube and reinstall new valve

replace E-clip then spring and plug on the other side reinstall cover

remove cover we are going to upgrade to a stronger clip

new clip on the left notice it is thicker these love to break

all the checkballs back in place and guide pins installed

TV valve needs to be shortened ... if this valve is worn steel shortened replacements are available

shortened as per gauge supplied in kit

replacement green spring ** reuse orange spring if you want to keep your trans a smooth as possible **

start stacking pieces of VB ontop using guide pins to keep alignment *** DON'T forget the little checkball if equipt ****

Last edited by baxy; 11-27-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
baxy

spacer plate

keep stacking

IF you have the black plastic filter this screw needs to go in this hole it is longer and has a washer under head (it's actually a filter screw )

connector pipe bend tabs to keep it in place
torque all screws to 40 in/lbs

4th accumulator new spring included in shift kit, install cover

new manual valve supplied in kit along with the groove we made allows this trans to fill the torque and lube the trans in park (which means we can now check the fluid level in park)

rooster comb install the steel ball and spring if it ejected when you took it apart ** make sure you hook it onto the manual valve ** I might have learned that from experience !!!

TV rod or lever pusher thing

new seal reinstall the washer and E-clip

make sure it is assembled like so

next I place VB in the vise with a rag like so

pressure reg valve the good ones are made of steel , the aluminum ones are the ones that make the anoying buzzing when in reverse, you can buy replacement steel valves from the dealer or you can buy a SONNAX one but if you use the sonnax valve DO NOT drill the .050 hole in the VB casting the sonnax valve has it built into the valve

converter charge ** make sure these valves are installed correctly they can go in upside down**

springs *note here is the stock PR spring on right * this would be considered standard duty
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have no idea what the **** your doing but good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
baxy

here is the PV spring retainer and the adjust for the main line pressure
this is the stock adjustment for the stock spring what you looking for is just shy of 5/16" gap here (considered standard duty)

shift kit spring

when using BLUE spring this is the adjustment for HD ** you can start winding up this adjustment to a max of 5/16" gap BUT it WILL be rude*** I don't even adjust it up when I build diesels that are chipped

couple pics of assembled retainer

ok take VB out of vise and start installing wiring harness this end likes to get damaged when you unplug it so it is good to replace it it comes assembled with new solenoids

screw down solenoid block

here is the GOV body you would find starting in about 1999.5 models with the black plastic sensor ** not interchangable with previous gold sensor**

install sensor if this was the early one you would flip it over and install the metal retainer clip

install GOVENOR into bracket

intall bracket and GOV onto body clipping the sensor into place like so

different style govenor solenoid (origional on left) this new one is said to be more resistant to contamination
there is a body and GM force motor aftermarket kit to replace all this assembly and is said to be the ANSWER to all GOVENOR problems BUT the kit is about $300 (rip off) and makes it costly to include in our units

install to VB and remeber to plug in wiring harness

installing park rod

wiggle jiggle twist output shaft

installed you will feel it POP past the park pawl

remember spring at accumulator

start the park rod into the rooster comb as you get the VB into place

remeber E-clip ** try not to drop this into trans that makes your day kinda crappy **

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.