Hid's in your zj. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hid's in your zj.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Hid's in your zj.

Since not everyone treads my build thread, I'm not that narcissistic, I thought this deserved it's own thread.
I have a bixenon retrofit in my car from trs. After driving that, the stock lights, crystal clears, the truck viva dual halos, dual halos with hids, and we've all seen too many reflector housings with retrofit bulbs. I can honestly say real projectors blow everything else right out of the water. They're in a whole other class.
My eclipse has fx-r bixenons with clear lens, 6k 50w bulbs and morimoto ballasts.
Total cost for this project was slightly more than the dual halo housings alone. Adding a retrofit bulb kit to the dual halos and you'll find that I spent less on the real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
well, since i'm always harping about hid's in reflector housings. how's this?

bought this kit from trs.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237
black housing lights from ebay.

the projector

measures about 5" from lens to light socket.

this particular kit is good for those of us who don't feel like making a full custom housing for this style headlight. there are some out there that the reflector mounts to the light housing on 3 posts and you adjust from there. mostly imports. on the zj the full headlight mounts on those 3 posts and you can't very well bolt a projector to them.
this kit is designed to run through a hole in the back of the housing and clam down with a nut and o-ring.

i used the black housings because they're black, duh, and they're sealed with butyl rubber glue making them very easy to take apart.

first step was to peel the clear plasic from the back. i filled them with near boiling water and let them soak in hot water in the sink for a few minutes. careful prying with a flat screwdriver got the plastic mostly separated then i had to cut the butyl with a utility knife.

well, the light socket for a 9004-9007 bulb is smaller than the diameter of the tail of the projector so you have to enlarge it. 1.5" is what you're shooting for abouts.
you'll also want to remove the raised portion of hte socket from the back of the light.

you'll also need to drill a small hole for the high beam solenoid.
here's a shot checking the fit.

there's a small flat that the shield that goes in front of a normal halogen bulb mounts to. that needs to be removed as well.

after that, spray the inside of the housing with some black paint to fully cover the chrome so you don't get any reflection. install the projector and orient it.

throw some new butyl rubber glue into the channel on the housing and press in the clear panel.
and for less than 2hrs of work you now have real, honest, hid lighting.

follow up with some pattern tests when i get a chance in the dark.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Adding a retrofit bulb kit to the dual halos and you'll find that I spent less on the real thing.
Really?

Subscribed for night pics. This is the first thing I want to do after I finish the plenum gasket. I've been fed up with the light output since I bought mine in '09.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Im very tempted to do this

I'd like stock housing with clear or glass front if possible (if anyone knows please post)
Add the projectors above ( $110 link here )
And the actual hid's ( $75 after bulb type and wattage increases, link here )

Won't be bad at all for the price, hopefully the end result is nice.

Can you grab some pics of the housings on the jeep with lights off? I'd like to see how it looks.

Thanks!
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How about these?? http://www.carid.com/1995-jeep-grand...ee-headlights/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those appear to be the same ones that Truckviva and a few other online companies were hawking. These are the same ones that Ratmonkey and Monaderio purchased and are having such a terrible time with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Im very tempted to do this

I'd like stock housing with clear or glass front if possible (if anyone knows please post)
Add the projectors above ( $110 link here )
And the actual hid's ( $75 after bulb type and wattage increases, link here )

Won't be bad at all for the price, hopefully the end result is nice.

Can you grab some pics of the housings on the jeep with lights off? I'd like to see how it looks.

Thanks!
You can use any housing you like with a clear front pane. Iirc the crystal housings use normal adhesive compared to the butyl used on the black housings I purchased. The butyl is significantly easier to soften and separate. Normal headlight housings require you to heat them to around 250 for 6-9 minutes or so.

If you already have hid ballasts you can just order the projectors you linked, shrouds, and an amp to d2s adapter.
I used the "ocular" shrouds. They are vertically a very tight fit in our housings, you should call trs for measurements on other shrouds to be sure they are similar diameter to that vertical measurement or they will not fit.

I mounted the ballasts and housings in the jeep today, but still haven't had any time to take pattern shots as I'm at work before dusk and get out after dawn. The housings have some off fitment issues sure to the cheap junk chinese header panel.

Here's the ballast and relay mounting.

Unread 08-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those appear to be the same ones that Truckviva and a few other online companies were hawking. These are the same ones that Ratmonkey and Monaderio purchased and are having such a terrible time with.
They are. Total crap.

Unread 08-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
rozco
1993 ZJ 

rozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
zjgr
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
mounted the ballasts and housings in the jeep today, but still haven't had any time to take pattern shots as I'm at work before dusk and get out after dawn.
Glad you tried it!
Took you some time to believe since the last time we talked about this retrofit almost a year ago.
97 ZJ 5.9 (swap), Doug Thorley headers, bosch injectors, 242tc, 4.56rp, dana 30 hp ox locker, 44a aussie locker, snorkel, WJ brake/steering upgrade, 3.5" Rubicon SF, Bilstein 5150 shocks, F/R ACOS, F/R Addcos, Ramsey winch, Icelandoffroad fenders, hid projector headlights, carputer, 33" mud on Procomp 16X8 4.5 bs
zjgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Un-aimed, dirty work area as I was heading out to work tonight.

Unread 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Since not everyone treads my build thread
I have , but damn , it's alot to take in . There's alot of things in it you could bring to this side of the fence from that thread . I bet lots would like to see a write up on the manual trans , for one . I've sent a few to view that build thread of your's , I'm sure a couple of those thought "Newfie must be crazy to think I'm reading all that"

BTW , nice lights .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Clean that ####up rat,lol.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

looks clean to me! everything is set out nice and accessible.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Just rattling his chain. He'll tell me where to go,lol.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Some pattern shots.
The left light needs rotated counter clockwise a touch.

From the build thread again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.