skyj eccentric build - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #331
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Sweet thanks. I need a schematic of a '93 grand cherokee and hopefully I can identify where they go. Does anybody know where to get these?
I ponied up for 2 sets of service manuals I found on ebay. One set for the yj and one set for the donor vehicle. I think you can buy electronic versions on there too, but be careful who you buy from. It might end up being a scanned copy of a Haynes manual or something like that.

Unread 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #332
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post

I ponied up for 2 sets of service manuals I found on ebay. One set for the yj and one set for the donor vehicle. I think you can buy electronic versions on there too, but be careful who you buy from. It might end up being a scanned copy of a Haynes manual or something like that.
My father-in-law works at what used to be a jeep/Chrysler dealership as a service manager now strictly GMC, but most of the mechanics that were jeep mechanics are still there and I bet might still have those manuals I just need to ask them if I could borrow them.
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #333
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How my garage started yesterday. Im actually embarrassed to admit it.

Halfway through the day.

Then I took my motor to the car wash and pressure washed it clean. After that I tried to install it on my suppossed "v8 engine stand" which just bowed under the weight haha. So I took it apart and beefed up the backing plate, since that was bending.

Ahhhh!!! Much better.

Then by the end of the day it looked like this. Still lots left to do and organize and once I sell all my 4.0 stuff I will gain some real estate back on my top shelf it was a very productive day.
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #334
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dang! Your engine is looking clean. I need to get mine all cleaned up!

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #335
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post

Dang! Your engine is looking clean. I need to get mine all cleaned up!
Yeah I feel much better now that it is clean. The oil pan is caked still, I will get that when I pull it then I can clean it inside and out. Now just trying to figure out how to do a compression test without a bellhousing and flywheel to bolt a starter to. I wonder if I can crank it over by hand and get a good reading.
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #336
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do a cylinder leak down test, More accurate and more information than a compression test. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #337
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
Do a cylinder leak down test, More accurate and more information than a compression test. Ron
True that would be a good way to tell if the motor is in good shape all around.
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #338
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I got a little more tore off the motor tonight. Started by taking of exhaust manifolds that went real easy, except for the egr tube bolt broke off in the manifold, I hope I can do an egr delete???

all valves look fine.

Removed valve covers they look fine also, rockers look good.

All spark plugs look the same also.

Thats all for the night need to borrow my buddies leak tester and hopefully this motor will be in good enough shape to not have to remove heads and rebuild (crossing fingers).
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #339
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I got a little more tore off the motor tonight. Started by taking of exhaust manifolds that went real easy, except for the egr tube bolt broke off in the manifold, I hope I can do an egr delete???
My engine was a 96 model and didn't have an egr. I just left that plug from the harness hanging and I never had any trouble. Not sure how I pulled that one off though.

You should be able to delete it and not have any issues.
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #340
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post

My engine was a 96 model and didn't have an egr. I just left that plug from the harness hanging and I never had any trouble. Not sure how I pulled that one off though.

You should be able to delete it and not have any issues.
Well that makes me feel better since there is about a mile of vacuum hose that goes with the egr crap and most of it is broke off or just plain gone. I also spied some block hugger headers off an ol dodge truck in a salvage yard when I was there last so I may just ask about them and see what they will $$$ cost me.
Since I'm typing I was thinking about using the Cherokee style motor mounts and just making me some brackets to weld to my frame just wondering if anyone has used them an how they made theirs work?
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #341
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So my buddy came by with his leak tester.... and we are not sure what to think every time we hooked the gauge up it would go all wacky and jump around. You could hear some slight leaks coming through the intake but not bad.... soooo plan B now is I think I can rig up a way to crank over the motor with my power drill just chuck up a socket and hook her up to the crank and turn it over, should turn it over just as good as the starter could then we can do a compression test and see if the rings are shot. Should work right?? My last plan before I tear this bugger apart and rebuild it which I dont want to have to do just yet. In the meantime Im thinking I will take the oil pan off my 4.2 and check my main and rod bearings to see if I spun one... or two

All the while tryin to come up with enough cash to start my new business. Ugh
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #342
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did he bring the cylinder up on TDC? What percentages did he get? Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #343
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
Did he bring the cylinder up on TDC? What percentages did he get? Ron
It was bad we had it at TDC compression stroke and it was showing 80% loss on all cylinders. We rocked the crank back and forth and tried to get it to jump up and it never got better. I used my drill to try and simulate the starter turning it over

bout burnt up my drill it never really got it to turn over very good but the gauage would top out with all cylinders reading 60 psi. So either we are doing a poor job at testing this motor or its really really tired. Might be time for a rebuild.
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #344
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hope its just bad testing...

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #345
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post
Hope its just bad testing...
Yeah me too, there is some reassurance in that all tests were consistent. Both showed the same psi for all cylinders. but at $150 you get what you pay for even if I have to rebuild it. I wont be that bad off at least the motor will be fresh if I do rebuild it I most likely wont go to crazy with the build probably just do new rings, bearings and gaskets.
I will most likely tear into the 4.2 now also and find its knock and hopefully be a cheap fix so I can get some money out of it to put towards this swap. Good news is I found a source for a bellhousing, may take them a few weeks to track one down for me but he said $75 for one so I'm stoked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.