Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZJ washer fluid reservoir in a WJ? Pic attached

After installing my aftermarket front bumper and cutting some of the metal back for tire clearance I now have a washer fluid reservoir that's just hanging there asking to get ripped off. I saw on another thread that someone used a Junk yard ZJ reservoir under the hood and everthing just hooked right up to it. I tried to PM the guy who did this but his PM box was full. My question is simple, is there a specfic year ZJ I need to pull this out of or will any year ZJ work? My local jy just got a 97 ZJ this morning and I wont to grab the bottle before it's gone, but want to make sure it's the right one. I will try to attach a pic of what he did, but I'm at work and it will probably block me from doing that.

Edit: Look at that! It worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
im sure the year is not specific...I just picked up two from the JY yesterday...pumps were the same...mounting points the same...only difference was the size which both still appears to work....they only have to mounting points...2 ten millimeter bolts..

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
looks 96-98 to mee !

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Looks like the one on my 93.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fact that one of you says if looks like it's from a 93 and someone else says 96-98 then I'm gonna assume they are bascially the same for all ZJ years. I'm gonna go ahead and grab the one from the 97 in my local yard. If someone sees in error in my thought process please let me know asap. I will be heading to the yard as soon as I get off work today.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
find one on EBAY for a pic reference

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm getting one from a '96 this weekend and I'll post a pic but I guess it will be a little late..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting one from a '96 this weekend and I'll post a pic but I guess it will be a little late..
That's okay. Post a pic anyways for referance. I did find a pic of a 92-93 bottle and it looked VERY different then the one I need. I also found a pic of a 95 and it looked like a match. Still need to know for sure if the 97 is also a match. My guess is that it is. I started a thread over at the ZJ forum but havn't gotten a definative answer yet. Will post up once I do.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will be heading to the jy in about 20 minutes. If anyone knows if the 97 bottle is the same as the one in the pic above please post up asap. Really don't wont to drive over there if it wont work.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I finally had the time to install my ZJ reservoir. I was told they had a 97 but when I got there it was a 96, but it was the bottle I needed. The down side was that it didn't have the low fluid sensor, but that's not a big deal. The install was a little more complicated then the threads I read. Some guys who did the install had the 4.0 which has WAY more room for the reservoir. I had some weird smog sensor thing right were the bottle needed to go so I had to push it over to one side and zip tied it to the bottle. Hopefully that will work. The removal of the WJ bottle was easy and straight forward. The install of the ZJ bottle took time since I had to relocate a few things and had to swap the pumps, rubber seals, plugs, and hoses over. It took about 45 minutes total from beginning to end. The only issue (more like a stupid mistake) was that I accidentally swapped the hoses so when I turned on the front sprayer the windshield wipers came on but it sprayed onto the back window and when I turned on the rear sprayer it turned on the rear wiper but sprayed onto the front windshield. I just swapped the hoses and all was good. Here's a few pics of the before and after of the WJ reservoir and then the finished ZJ reservoir.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Off topic, dude...you need to clean that master cylinder and replace that cap if its leaking. Anyway, nice install.
Happy now. I had a junkyard cap in my glove box I picked up last week but I just hand't installed it yet. Installed and cleaned up now. The rubber boot thing under the cap on my old one was in bad shape. This one is better, but it's a bandaid. I need to pick up a new one at the parts store when I get a chance. Probably only costs a few bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how easy/hard was it to reuse the WJ pumps? I just picked up a ZJ washer reservoir from my local junk yard and it came with the two pumps and level sensor. I'd like to reuse the pumps out of my WJ if possible. Do they just screw off the WJ reservoir?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
how easy/hard was it to reuse the WJ pumps? I just picked up a ZJ washer reservoir from my local junk yard and it came with the two pumps and level sensor. I'd like to reuse the pumps out of my WJ if possible. Do they just screw off the WJ reservoir?
they are held in with little rubber seals....just pop them out of the WJ bottle and into the ZJ one.....very easy

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The ZJ bottle I used was short a hole, so I just drilled one where I wanted it, install grommets and they pop in.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i have a 2000 wj from it looks like everybody install the zj bottles on the driver side fender at the back well thats right were my evap can sits what did you gentelmen do with evac can

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.