Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 98 GC 5.9 liter and was wondering a few things. First, the thickest skid plates you can buy is 3/16 inch right? Second, what brand such as skid row offroad, rusty's etc do you guys like? Third, mounting the fuel tank one should be fine with a hitch as well correct? Lastly, there is no welding or anything needed besides bolts and nuts and stuff right? Thanks again

·
Jeep Jedi Master
20,417 Posts
You can find both skids (factory) at most u pull it lots, aka junkyards for cheap. No welding just bolt on and go.

Hunter

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how thick are the factory ones because if they are 1/8inch thats only 1/16 less than 3/16 can't be that big of a difference right? and i have probably more tools than i need but no welder so they all meaning gas tank, transfer case, and engine/tranny skids bolt on right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
how thick are the factory ones because if they are 1/8inch thats only 1/16 less than 3/16 can't be that big of a difference right? and i have probably more tools than i need but no welder so they all meaning gas tank, transfer case, and engine/tranny skids bolt on right?
Yes they all bolt on but they are a pita by yourself, I wouldn't recommend trying the gas tank or steering skid alone.

·
That Rigger Guy
608 Posts
Factory skids are great. Most junk yards have them. T-case skid requires nutserts but the holes are already in the unibody. Gas tank skid does in fact bolt up with the tow hitch. Threaded holes are already in place for the front skid plate. Have done this retrofit to my current ZJ from my parts ZJ.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys...since i have the money to spend and want the best im thinking of something other than factory...any good brands you suggest?

·
Registered
203 Posts
you can spend more and get "better" but factory ones are pretty much just as good just not as pretty from my understanding. Not to high jack the thread but just a quick question. I got a 94 ZJ and I have the factory fuel tank skid is there any other factory skid plates i can get at a JY? would a 96+ set up work and does mine come with the predrilled holes and what not?

·
Jeep Jedi Master
20,417 Posts
The stock ones served me well for over 10 years. They aren't "belly up" skids that you can land on and lift your Jeep. They are there to protect your Grand from rocks and dings. If your bashing your skids all the time, you might want to pick better lines.

Hunter

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
thanks guys...since i have the money to spend and want the best im thinking of something other than factory...any good brands you suggest?
Note that thicker does not mean stronger. A 1/8" plate with some ribs stamped into it will be stronger and lighter. The problem with most of the aftermarket stuff is that they don't do much, if any, real engineering.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the factory skids are engine skid that is right behind the radiator support, the transfer case skid and then the gas tank skid

·
Jeep Jedi Master
20,417 Posts
He's right.

Hunter

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
rustys is all i know of but i havent done much digging and i wouldnt buy from them after all ive heard about bad fitment

·
Registered
488 Posts
My iro belly and factory gas tank skid took some major hits during a trail run with running water and huge boulders (couldn't see the lines). Factory skid is more than sufficient

·
Registered
488 Posts
Zero buyers remorse being fully armored. I wheeled a few times with no tcase skid through some gnarly stuff. The extra piece of mind is well worth it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts