Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allow me to introduce you to my Jeep named Zatarra. A 1998 Laredo grand cherokee 4.0L.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

I bought this off a buddy of mine for $1500. It has 212k mi. Leaks oil and the 242 transfer case leaks as well. What rust it has is covered up by the cladding. It had a squeak when turning so I deduced it was an axle ujoint. Sure enough the passenger side was toast. So I replaced that. It was a PITA to say the least.

Wood Gas Hat Terrestrial animal Auto part

But I got er done.

Automotive tire Tire Hood Tread Asphalt

Then the jeep randomly wouldn't start. So I'd smack the starter with a hammer and be on my way again, but it needed fixing. Winter is coming.

Today I replaced the starter. I discovered the lower bolt was completely missing, and it appears the top bolt that I did have was actually the bottom bolt in the wrong place. Seriously? Got new grade 8 bolt and installed things right.

My plans for this jeep are to make it a mild overlanding family rig with small rock crawling potential. So 31 inch tires max, skid plates, 2 inch spacer lift, bumper trim and eventually diy steel bumpers, diy rock sliders.

This is a photoshop of now to a rough view of it setup as described.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

I've never owned a jeep before I've been a toyota guy mostly. But I like Zatarra so far and I'm excited to work on it.

-CBO

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a pretty typical ZJ with the rust concerns. Plans sound good and should treat you well.

Currently I'm running about a 32" tire (265/70r17) w/3.73 gears (and I really need more gear) with an ax15 manual trans and averaging around 15 mpg. Which is about what I was averaging with the 42re auto trans, 3.55 gears, and 235/75r15 tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

When I bought this jeep it had one missing piece of cladding. It probably rusted so bad it fell off at some point.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I joined some fb zj groups and actually found someone who had the piece and didn't need it. A relief because they are a discontinued part. He shipped it my way and today I put it on. This is the empty void...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Tread

I just welded a bit of angle iron onto the body for a bracket. Slapped it with paint.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

I drilled a hole in it for a bolt and we're good to go!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

So now I just have to use some wd40 or something on my other cladding to try and match the color better. Eventually I'll probably do the 2x6 rock slider rocker replacement but for now it looks so much better!

-cbo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man. I think I'll paint the cladding in a brush on grey bedliner product. I like the grey on green scheme.

One more pic of the new cladding.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

And I had to flex it out.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car

My other rig is a 1987 4runner with solid axle swapped, double transfer case, spartan locked rear, elocker front, on 35s so it makes Zatarra look like a complete wimp. :LOL: But this will be a different purpose build.

Definitely needs a rear locker. I'm eyeballing the powertrax no slip. Seems better than a spartan. Quieter with less quirks but same traction. Anyone running a no slip? Please let me know about how you like it.

-cbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts