Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
801 - 820 of 851 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I always thought you wanted a stock cam or as close to stock as feasible for offroading. What's the rationale for going with an aggressive cam? I know with my 5.3/4L60E, it's extremely rare that I get over 2000rpms both offroad and on road but I also rarely go over 60mph these days. Mine just chugs along uphill at like 1500rpms and 50mph.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
I always thought you wanted a stock cam or as close to stock as feasible for offroading. What's the rationale for going with an aggressive cam? I know with my 5.3/4L60E, it's extremely rare that I get over 2000rpms both offroad and on road but I also rarely go over 60mph these days. Mine just chugs along uphill at like 1500rpms and 50mph.
Truck cam's produce more torque than stock low end. This guy has tons of good videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Truck cam's produce more torque than stock low end. This guy has tons of good videos.

Yeah I've watched that video a bunch and I follow a lot of what he does. I was originally looking at that video for my tow rig with the 6.0/4L80E hoping to gain a bit more ooomph towing my big enclosed trailer. My take away from that video was that even at 2500-3000rpms, you're only looking at 5-10 ft-lbs of torque and hp but at full throttle. To me that seemed marginally worth it in my tow rig if I had to completely rebuild it since I do occasionally hit 4000rpms but totally worthless in my Jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
Dyno sheets are funny sometimes. I just put a cam in my Harley with the 107 and the dyno sheets didnt show any improvement in torque until just over 2k rpm. Now I can Idle from a stop with no throttle input, no way I could do that before without killing it.

The Brian Tooley torque cam shows about 25 lb/ft of torque increase from the start, then widens after about 4500 RPM. I think thats worth a few hundred bucks for the cam and a tuning session. And everything sounds better with a cam anyway :cheers2:

Reactions: Waternut

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
It's out of a 2011 2500HD. 360HP and 380tq stock trim. I'm going to throw probably a BTR stage 2 truck cam in it.

That sounds like a great plan, Johner. I'd only suggest one small change. Toss the LS and find a nice Hemi….

What did you think I was going to say?!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
I'm not afraid of the skinny pedal. So I can see 4K+ RPM's happening frequently. (Current motor doesn't have the power to pass 4K) I tried warming up the tires.

Radon, I like where your heads at.

Jeff you should be a comedian with those jokes. That's some funny stuff right there

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
Ended up going with BTR Truck Norris cam. It’s their new cam and the guy told me it made stage 1 and 2 obsolete because you get the low end of 1 and 2 with more power. Slowly collecting parts and plugging away stripped her down except for crank and pistons.

Then started putting some lipstick on her.

Got some more painting to do then start to reassemble.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
It's been a while since I have been on here. For some reason my push notifications don't work anymore for a few apps and Tapatalk is one of them. Went to AOP Memorial Day weekend and wheeled with Chris and Jeff. It was one of the best wheeling trips I have had for sure.

I can’t wait to go wheel your neck of the woods

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #811 ·
I can’t wait to go wheel your neck of the woods

I like it. You get a mix of crawling and full throttle assaults. Let me know if you ever head out this way.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
Slow and steady. Got the cam, lifters, new timing gear, chain and cover intstalled. As well as the oil pan. It’s an eBay knock off of the Holley 302-2 retro fit pan. Spent a good part of the day manipulating the pick up that came with it to fit right. Need to still clean the heads and swap springs and valve seals. Then I can put the

Don’t think I added this before but I did also get the knock off of improved racing’s trap door baffle. Need to trim the top right corner (bolt boss clearance) to get enough clearance to get it in the pan. As you can see it wasn’t too much.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Slowly getting there. Taking my time with things. I have switched a few things up already and have some more coming before I finish the engine. It’s about done then I’m turning to the transmission.

Got it all primed.

It’s close but not quite there. Realized the truck bracket probably isn’t going to work. The power steering just sits too low with the 4 link. Ordered some goat built brackets today.

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
Man the wheelin’ and build updates are great.

I saw you rode at River Rock? In Georgia? They closed down for a while. Are they open again?

I have rode Windrock a few times, Choccolocco Mountain once and Morris Mountain several times. You just need to hit Gulches and Uhwharrie to complete the circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·
Man the wheelin’ and build updates are great.

I saw you rode at River Rock? In Georgia? They closed down for a while. Are they open again?

I have rode Windrock a few times, Choccolocco Mountain once and Morris Mountain several times. You just need to hit Gulches and Uhwharrie to complete the circuit.

Yeah Steve opened RiverRock back up. They had to close a part of it this year (Carnage rock area). Due to a natural spring and a neighbor complaining to the EPA about silt in their pond.

Only places I haven’t wheeled yet are Morris mountain and Gultches. In 2017 I was at Gultches but had an electrical gremlin so I had to ride with my friends. Hope to get to hit them once I get this swap done.

801 - 820 of 851 Posts