Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a soft top from a YJ on a CJ? Would like to hear about it and see some pictures if possible.

I picked up some soft top upper doors and most of the soft top itself from a YJ. I'm learning that the frame is different and I know the tailgates are different but is there any reason why the tops couldn't be interchanged? I'm thinking someone has had to do it. I'm also now looking for the tubular frame assy. for a YJ - stock or Bestop style with the square corners.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yj top on a Cj is common. I run one from rampage with Yj half doors. I used to have a bestop for years but when it came time to replace it Bestop no longer makes it in gray. I'm pretty sure you cannot use a Bestop top on factory frame or factory top on Bestop frame. Another words the top and frame need to match who ever the manufacture is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jack61, can you elaborate more on fitment of that YJ Rampage top? I have the same issue with having a gray Bestop super top that is no longer usable, as it is so sunbaked. I have been looking everywhere for a used one in good shape, but never seem to find one. How does your tailgate line up and seal with the top? Any issues with water intrusion? I have been thinking about buying a YJ soft top but didn’t want to get stuck with something that didn’t fit or work well.
Scott

·
Registered
620 Posts
It looks and fits pretty good but I have a fiberglass body without a tailgate. If you go with a Rampage top don't get rid of all your bestop hardware yet. I reused the rear corners and the bestop bar that goes across the tailgate because the way the rampage one is made it would not work on the fiberglass body. With a steel body you may not have any fitment issues. The 1st summer I took the top off I broke one of the plastic feet that slide in the side rails and Rampage quickly sent all 4 feet free of charge. I can tell you when you take the top off or put it on have a lot of patience and help if possible. The only water intrusion I have had is where the top of the soft top frame meets the plastic windshield/door channel but a little black rtv takes care of that. It is really nice that rampage includes a storage bag for your top and doors. I liked the Bestop a lot but I am happy with the Rampage top

·
Registered
331 Posts
I picked up this '80 CJ-7 Laredo in August 2020, along with some YJ half doors and a YJ top. Got it home, swapped the top onto my '80 CJ-7 and sent the half doors along with the Laredo to mongo228 as a new project for him. I wanted the YJ top for the bigger glass & better visibility, and mongo228 also scored me some later-model paddle handle doors to replace the twist-latch factory doors.

Mine's an early YJ top, so it still latches like the CJ tops, but the CJ tailgate needs to close at the same time because of the inner lip of the YJ hatch (which I'll be modifying to fit better once I get it painted).

On the trailer coming home from Austin
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Kinda works with the CJ tailgate... kinda
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Original 1980 top and doors
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

With the 'new' YJ top and late-model doors - gotta paint it all to look like the pic above now.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts