Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sets of mirrors -- the first as the basic ones attached to the hard bottom doors and then i have the set that
go into the door hinges to use when i takethe doors off. I am now finally going to buy a set of soft bottom doors ( from a guy on here ) and need to rethink how i get a set of side mirrors on my YJ.
I see this bracket on amazon for sale right now and looks like this might be my only way to do it, but still thought I would drop a post on here since i didn't find much on a search of this forum on my own. Thanks -- Aaron
Product Font Screenshot Technology Design

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,642 Posts
I know they are smaller and perhaps more vibration happy, but CJ stylized mirrors are a simple setup.

The plus is you can maneuver the passenger side mirror to actually see it.

I have a set of those brackets that you posted. And while it is nice that I get to use my OEM mirrors... which are I great condition... and while it is also true that they keep the mirrors still and they do not move. . . You will NOT be able to see your passenger mirror. Like.. at all. It keeps cops honest for sure.... but, if you use mirrors... this is something to consider.

I was and am always gonna be an over the shoulder kinda guy... there is no untraining of that driving habit in me lol. So this wasn't a big deal for me.

It all depends on context. I didn't want the extra work every time I took doors off. But also knew at the time I purchased that I would eventually retire the YJ from daily driving... and these would remain. I don't even use full doors any more.

But, if you winter drive or heavy rain downpour drive... Your visibility in those mirrors positioned where these brackets put them makes for some hairy moments. When hardtop or soft top windows are coated in thick road salt and it's snowing and dark... whoa baby.

(That's why I bought a rear view wide 1080p camera actually lol.)

You being in southern commiefornia shouldn't have that issue.

I like them. I like my original mirrors and the jeep logo on them and their size. It also keeps me legal and gives me zero maintenance issues. They also hold the mirror out so that you can fold down the windshield without issue.

CJ stylized mirrors are simple, clean and classic. But, too many negative reviews... OEM or aftermarket.

I say if you want to go this route, there is nothing wrong with these brackets. But there are things to consider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great detail -- ( Hey, i am in Pittsburgh !!) I only drive my YJ in the sunny weather of the summer/fall here in PA so no snow for me. I really like what you said about the CJ style mirrors.. i never use the passenger mirror , or the drivers mirror for that matter, anyhow.. its for cop purposes only. Do you have a quick link to amazon for the ones you are referencing? I would like to see what ones you are talking about before i take a guess.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought CJ style mirros and those brackets. But I only used one of the brackets, IIRC I couldn't make the passengers side useable with it mounted there. In truth I rarely use them and not at all when the soft top is off. I have a giant rally mirror so I can see everything with the top off.

Crappy pics in the setting sun.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,642 Posts
How do you guys back up and park if you don’t use mirrors?!!!
Rear 1080p wide view camera on my rearview mirror. ... duh. It's 2022

But most of the time, I pull in head first like I'm pulling a bank job lol

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Mode of transport Automotive exterior Headlamp
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Car Automotive exterior Rear-view mirror

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I only have one mirror. The windshield mirror. I use my eyeballs when I back up and park. Why do you need mirrors for that?
LOL I’m a mirror driver. I don’t use a rear view much if ever. But side mirrors for backing up, parking, pulling trailers. Turning and looking doesn’t show you what the mirrors can. Especially with a trailer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
+1 for only having a rear view.

I ditched my side view mirrors a long time ago. I feel like a quick glimpse over my shoulder and I can see everything I need to. Although, I did get harassed by a cop years ago who sore I needed side view mirrors. After speaking with his Sargent, he explained the officer was new, and clearly misinterpreted the law, where is states “1 mirror that can see over 100’” or whatever the distance is.
Personally, I think it looks a lot better without side view mirrors. When driving my truck, I’m in the mirrors constantly, especially when parking or pulling/hooking up a trailer

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
I know some don't put faith in mirrors. I know, because I'm often dodging you on the road. You're all just kidding yourselves about your mirror skill shortcomings.

Anyway, I made these relocation brackets. This puts the mirrors in exactly the same location, doors on or doors off. It takes 2 screws to bolt each mirror in place for doors off. Another set of mirrors stay attached to the doors when doors go into storage. I usually don't even have to readjust the mirror angles when I swap.

Since the first photo was taken, I have upgraded to the '03 and up TJ mirrors. Shown in second photo. Big improvement in mirror quality. I have two sets. One set stay on the relocation bracket, another set stay on the door hinges, like the jeep god intended.

·
Registered
333 Posts
+1 for only having a rear view.

I ditched my side view mirrors a long time ago. I feel like a quick glimpse over my shoulder and I can see everything I need to. Although, I did get harassed by a cop years ago who sore I needed side view mirrors. After speaking with his Sargent, he explained the officer was new, and clearly misinterpreted the law, where is states “1 mirror that can see over 100’” or whatever the distance is.
Personally, I think it looks a lot better without side view mirrors. When driving my truck, I’m in the mirrors constantly, especially when parking or pulling/hooking up a trailer
Are you in Florida?

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
I know some don't put faith in mirrors. I know, because I'm often dodging you on the road. You're all just kidding yourselves about your mirror skill shortcomings.
Amen. People and their mirror and driving skills. I use all three mirrors in my YJ and still look over my shoulder as a last thing before changing lanes. I think that the YJ is the vehicle that I have to be most alert in on the highway because I only run it up to about 70 MPH. I usually drive it about 67 MPH because of the gearing and 3 speed auto trans. It makes people come up on me faster and I really have to pay attention prior to changing lanes.

I think that some of these people with these mad driving skills and not needing mirrors and not looking over their shoulder before changing lanes are the same folks with their cell phone upright in their right hand when driving. I always assumed that they are texting or surfing the net. Maybe I am wrong and they have their phone in selfie picture mode and are just scanning the road behind and beside them and are actually more alert to their surroundings than me....... NOT!

I have the KDX option factory mirrors on my YJ. They were more of an export option in my research but my 87 came with them. They mount to the windshield brackets. The right side mirror is forward and viewed through the windshield. The left side is further back and viewed through the door window. They are very solid mirrors. They have a spring loaded detent in them that allows them to be folded rearward to be tight to the side of the door or folded in front of the windshield. The detent allows them to go back to there original position with no hassle. They work doors on or off, windshield up or down. Some people do not like the looks but they are mirrors and function very well. I like them for the function, for the fact that they were really original to the Jeep which I want to keep it that way, and the uniqueness.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
What? No way. Never use a phone while driving.

With no top and no doors, I have 1 mirror. I use it to check behind me before I look over my shoulder when merging. Way better view than the mirrors, and it forces me to actually look. I can see 360° around my Jeep with 0 blind spots.

With the top and doors, I don't drive it as much. :p
But seriously, with the doors on I have side mirrors again and I do use them because even the Rampage top has a couple of small blind spots. Much smaller than the stock soft top though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the KDX option factory mirrors on my YJ. They were more of an export option in my research but my 87 came with them. They mount to the windshield brackets. The right side mirror is forward and viewed through the windshield. The left side is further back and viewed through the door window. They are very solid mirrors. They have a spring loaded detent in them that allows them to be folded rearward to be tight to the side of the door or folded in front of the windshield. The detent allows them to go back to there original position with no hassle. They work doors on or off, windshield up or down. Some people do not like the looks but they are mirrors and function very well. I like them for the function, for the fact that they were really original to the Jeep which I want to keep it that way, and the uniqueness.
interesting, i have never even heard of these mirrors until you just posted this, and i had to google them. cant decide if i like them or not, but i am glad to have learned this little bit of jeep history this morning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts