Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Chat and non tech

1444050 31089
But tonite as I rode home with the top off I really loved my rust-bucket YJ! At damn near 300k she still runs strong and I won't give it up for the world. She just isn't so pretty right now so some cosmetic work is coming, but after a long time w/o it and just military vechiles it was twice as sweet.

Just figured y'all would get it more so than the rest of the site. ;)

John
30861 - 30880 of 31090 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,377 Posts
Far less value lost (someone else already soaked the depreciation) and you aren't paying interest - which is money you may as well just light on fire
This is not true right now. A msrp $36k new Hyundai Sonata Limited is sortofa nice small sedan, 38mpg or so. Or a used ones a couple years old with above the average miles on it are $34k. This is true in most lines and why the ordered FloorRunner above was offered a $5k sellback at signing. (why anyone would actually want one is beyond me though)

Nevertheless new cars aren’t worth it imho. You pay over half of median age-fifty annual income for a six year usage plus tires, brakes. So from age 30-66 that’s 3 years of base income out of your life for a car never mind operating and maintenance expenses. Or a basis 7% of your total career gross income, or perhaps 12% of net income.

People willingly give away the family farm a little at a time, imho. A little less ‘image’ or lifestyle and one can still get to work for less than half the cost of the typical new car aged over time.

The auto market is on the brink of sliding aka having a ‘market correction’ and once that slides the depreciation factor will once again be true. Repos are up, and leverage factors is keeping wholesale auctions from selling every car - the lenders are into them for above book and won’t let them go.
And woe to those who are financed over book who actually make the payments- they will be upside down forever.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
A co worker of mine just got back from Michigan. Said he saved himself $8000 flying there from CT and driving his new Chevy back than what he could have got at the local dealer

·
Premium Member
11,377 Posts
Looking up threads on putting a OBD1 2.5 into my CJ5 I got some suggested relevant threads. This one stood out as very relevant…
Font Screenshot Rectangle Document Number

I wasn’t sure about the CPS location on the 2.8 bellhousing other than buying an adapter and this thread cleared it up for me.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I bought all my vehicles with cash except my Ram 3500. But that will be paid off next year and I could turn around and sell it for 20k more than I bought it for
Yeah, the used market is nuts. I think the only vehicle I have that I'd be upside down on is the Suburban, because it's too old to be desirable. The Ram 2500 and the two Jeeps would sell for a lot more than I bought them for.

BUT that doesn't negate my point.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
Most times yes but not always. I can literally make $20k+ more on my Ram than what I bought it for 2 years ago. The MJ I traded a $400 YJ for and already made my money back on the parts XJ that came with it. Any of the other 8 vehicles in my driveway I would lose on though lol

·
Premium Member
11,377 Posts
Any of the other 8 vehicles in my driveway I would lose on though lol
I haven’t ‘lost money’ on anything vehicle related in at least 18 years. Before that I only lost money because I didn’t have a place to store project or part-out vehicles and so regretfully the junkyards got them.

Even my ‘89 (that started as a project) has paid me back immensely.
I mean extrapolation over time I could probably call my commercial-shop-level tool boxes, etc. an expensive ’cost.’ However- never minding that I’ve earned money with my tools at various times- the fact I daily-drivered my rusty $1200 ‘89 YJ from ?2012? to 2017 and spent only a couple, three hundred a year in maintenance in that time, and paid for its 4.0/8.8 upgrades and then some parting out 7 or 8 jeeps my tools have paid for themselves several times over.

I’m not sure I’d ever again spend money on a vehicle that I’d lose money on. Even the recent CJ5 abomination I bought for $250 is going to be worth way more than I’ll spend on it when I’m done. (my dollars per hour might be well under $25 though. I’m going to have to track it and see)

The annual $800-$1100 for tires warped my ‘cost’ parameter in more recent years, though having the company car did save a ton of tire wear for me because I didn’t have to drive to work every day. Tire prices over doubled but my income didn’t.
You lose money on every vehicle.
if you’re using it for transportation- a need in my region- $2500 or $3k is a reasonable expense for an 18-24-month car. That IS a cost, but a pretty reasonable expense you can’t escape.
Used to be some $5k cars could be had that would go for years but they current market killed that. I looked at a $1500 ‘99 2.5/5-speed TJ yesterday. It actually turned out to be a $400 rusted out parts vehicle with collapsed lifters, no oil pressure, and a bad frame.

But ya, technically every vehicle is a cost aka loses your money.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
But ya, technically every vehicle is a cost aka loses your money.
Again, not every vehicle is a loss. Just most of them

And I mean it in the sense of, making you more money than you put into it. Not getting your monies worth over a given period of time. If thats the case then I would say I never lost on any vehicle as they all have given me their monies worth in one way or another

·
Premium Member
11,377 Posts
I go berserk every time I see a person using a cut disk with no safety equipment or PPE whatsoever.
No osha traditions in Indonesia I guess?

I do value my eyes at least. And wear a heavy coat when running a wire brush on a grinder or using the shop press. I’ve had cup brushes bind on my chest when something happened but the heavy coat has saved me. I had a cup brush climb up inside my pant leg a few years ago but yanked the plug before it made more than a bloodied mess of my leg.

Him hammering on that stuff without safety glasses got my attention too.

30861 - 30880 of 31090 Posts