Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30661 - 30680 of 30875 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Damn. The longest I had to drive the YJ was coming back home from Rausch Creek PA. Before I had a trailer I borrowed a car dolly and it was the scariest thing ever. The dolly actually broke in the parking lot trying to load the YJ back up and we had no choice but to drive it home. Halfway home the motor started cutting out on me, especially on the big hills. Pulled over to see the motor spewing oil out of just about every orifice possible. Had to hose out the cap and rotor with brake cleaner because they got saturated in oil too. This happened several times. Finally made it to within an hour of home and it gave out again on the highway. Nothing we were doing could get it to fire back up. By this time it was late and everyone in the convoy, myself included, were sick of it. We were on a sketchy blind curve and I called AAA, they told me Id have to stay with the vehicle. I told them its on the side of I84 with the keys in the ignition. They eventually towed it home lol

Then it sat for a year or so at my inlaws while we were renting an apartment. When we went to move into our new house, I headed over to the YJ thinking it would need a tow. But the damn thing fired right up and hasnt given me grief since. Everyone thought the motor was done for lol but now with well over 300k, this little 4 banger keeps chugging along years later

Knocks on wood 😬 😅

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Yep. Buy one of those and you will get it probably a lot sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Bought a 28’ office trailer with an overhead door in back with two sets of stairs.
Probably paid too much at $1300 but it’s the dry storage I’m paying over $400/month that it will solve, and pay for itself in a few months.
Plus if I’m a good boy it feels like at least a place to “set up shop” until- and after- I buy land.
I recently also bought a 39’ camper to gut. It was $500 and will handle all my ‘storage’ boxes and furniture, household stuff leaving the office trailer for tool boxes, compressors, welders, table saw, and shop stuff.

That’s the plan, although the 39’ would be a better shop (close to the ground) in theory.
The weight of everything will be a problem more easily solved with the office trailer; the 56” tool box and the 6’ rollaway I built will be probably 2000# by themselves, never mind woodworking stuff, spare 4.0, three welders, shop press, another CJ front clip, and lathe etc.

Either way I’ll need to buy some plywood to go over the existing floor of whatever I use for tools. I’m thinking wheels on the loaded 56” box will punch right through the 5/8 floor in the office trailer. But at the price of plywood I’m disgusted to think I have to spend the money.

I do have a 10x18? portable garage frame to at least keep vertically descending precipitation from intruding if I want to actually do something.

My life is so shallow; I’m excited about this Head Eye Jaw Art Animated cartoon

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Same thing on a smaller scale. I bought an enclosed Haulmark 6 X 12 from a friend around the corner that owns a lawn care company. It needs a section of frame at the rear replaced to be totally road worthy but it's basically for storage. Got it for just a few hundred bucks. The sad thing is that I had already bought an 8 X 8 Duramax shed for twice as much and still haven't assembled it because I snagged the trailer.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
I got my warranty replacement clutch today and cleaned the intake/exhaust side of the donor motor. Put the engine at TDC and marked the sprockets and took off the timing chain too.

Attachments

30661 - 30680 of 30875 Posts