Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30621 - 30640 of 30661 Posts

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
I guess context matters for that axle swap.

Because the front 44 is really a glorified d30 with some added strength. Some.

But that strength differencd can be wiped out with a little money and a Saturday afternoon.

The rear 44 is wiped out by an 8.8.

What are ya left with? If they came.to me cheap and I was still stock d30 and d35, sure... cool. Even cooler if I can get the locker system working properly in my YJ.

But from my driver's seat, the rubi 44s on TJs are a pass. Not worth the time, effort or money involved considering the options we have.

(I won't sit here and lie. I LOVED the 6 speed manual on my '06 sport. I loved the interior/exterior colouring and finish on my '03 Sahara.... but the YJ is a terminator. Not cute one bit. And only inviting to a niche demographic. The way Iike it. Plus leaf springs (even though they are for poor people) are just much cooler to see every year that passes)
no reason to go down the rabbit hole here and now but you make good points. I have long said there is really no good and reasonable axle swap past the D30 except tons, A 30 can handle 35s easy and maybe 37s if you are not slamming it but then where to go. The Rubi 44 is really no upgrade and any other 44 is either unavailable, crazy expensive or pinion on the wrong side. It's too bad because the 8.8 has almost the same axle twist strength as a 60 and a thick tube.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
The D44 I was sold on getting was the front from a Waggy. I honestly thought I would never find one but kept my eyes open all the time. One popped up on car parts at a boneyard in Traverse city. They deliver to my work weekly so really convenient. I got a call from them the day before they were supposed to deliver it that it was really bad and they did not want to sell it to me. It had seized ball joints and the cover had been removed and put back on with no gasket so one of the carrier bearings was rusty and did not turn. The ended up selling it to me for $125 plus the 8 bucks to deliver it. The only downside it is not a high pinion but other than that, it is a beast. I picked up a passport D44 for the rear to match the lug pattern but still may go with an 8.8 in the end with new axles to have the 6x5.5 lug pattern.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
guess context matters for that axle swap.
That wasn’t awe and worship for rubi axles. LOL I’m no fan myself. But i was just thinking of what might be useful from a TJ. And selling rubi axles is profitable.
I can see the allure in a tj of front and rear lockers but never entertained rubi axles- I have an aussie in the D30 and an 8.8 out back.

Though now that I think about it I don’t know anyone who’s swapped them in, either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
but the YJ is a terminator. Not cute one bit. And only inviting to a niche demographic. The way Iike it. Plus leaf springs (even though they are for poor people) are just much cooler to see every year that passes)
damn i had no idea i could be so motivated about owning a YJ this morning!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
This broken hand is getting old lol theres another wheelin trip this weekend that I was looking forward to but wont be able to make. Told the wife she should drive my rig but shes not comfortable enough driving a 5 speed and she doesnt want to drag her XJ on 35s through all black and red trails with buggys on 40s or bigger.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,503 Posts
The D44 I was sold on getting was the front from a Waggy. I honestly thought I would never find one but kept my eyes open all the time. One popped up on car parts at a boneyard in Traverse city. They deliver to my work weekly so really convenient. I got a call from them the day before they were supposed to deliver it that it was really bad and they did not want to sell it to me. It had seized ball joints and the cover had been removed and put back on with no gasket so one of the carrier bearings was rusty and did not turn. The ended up selling it to me for $125 plus the 8 bucks to deliver it. The only downside it is not a high pinion but other than that, it is a beast. I picked up a passport D44 for the rear to match the lug pattern but still may go with an 8.8 in the end with new axles to have the 6x5.5 lug pattern.
Hurry up and finish your pool deck and start wrenching.

You're getting boring friend.

😆

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Hurry up and finish your pool deck and start wrenching.

You're getting boring friend.

😆
Yea, yea, yea. You are sounding like the wife! LOL. The deck design keeps changing. Want to do it once and be thrilled with it.

I was encouraged by the wife to take on a custom cabinet job for a dear friend of ours. Having difficulties coming up with some hardware that I want and the rough sawn lumber supplies around me suck right now. I am planning on moving the tub project to the woodshop. It is normally heated (have to get the propane line re routed though because of the pool project. It is disconnected and capped of right now) and has a better electrical supply to it than the garage it is in. We still have to get the roof done on the house this year also. We do have much of the tree removal handled but a lot of wood in the yard that has to be moved and cleaned up. The neighbor is taking a lot of the wood off my hands. I could shoot myself for giving up this my oak but time is time. We still have not recovered from selling our second house. Still a lot of stuff in boxes and a mystery at times to where a lot of things were put. Our/my organization is terrible at this minute. The list of honey do's is overwhelming at the moment. The list goes way beyond this.

On a bright but sad note, we just put our grandson on a plane this A.M. to fly back home to SC. (his first flight as an unaccompanied minor. He was excited as hell to fly this way and did well.) The last two months with him have been spectacular but yet him going home gives us more time to get back on task.

My life is and has been anything but boring for the last 1 1/2 to 2 years. Grind, grind, grind. The good news is that the Jeep build pile of parts has grown and gotten better. Not being able to focus on the Jeep with my hands has made me focus on the Jeep more planning wise. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,503 Posts
The young chap is a go getter.

Sounds like he's gonna make a hell of a fearless leader someday.

I just hope he's on my side lol

...and on the boring side of things, ok, alright.. I'll bite... you're just too cute when you talk about your deck... you going with resin decking or traditional pressure treated wood boards? 🤓

30621 - 30640 of 30661 Posts