Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30601 - 30620 of 30661 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Just because I have one doesn't mean I am one.

I technically have a Comanche too, but that doesn't mean I'm a Cherokee or Comanche guy. :p
I also have a WJ, a 2 door XJ, currently trying to trade my other YJ for an MJ and my wife wants a TJ now lol we dont discriminate, all Jeeps matter. The owners on the other hand...lol

I'll take any members we can get. The TJ guys used to look down on the YJ guys but now we are all in it together being looked down on by the Gladiator and JL guys. It's the circle of life

I think most of the TJ forum here would still look down on us and probably look down on those gladiators too lol I was turned off from the TJ crowd here a long time ago. Obviously there are some good ones but the rest, mehh. I will say, the few that did recently start posting here seem to be good ones, trying to lend helpful info and not stirring the pot

·
Registered
256 Posts
a lot of the a-hole TJ owners from the early to mid 2000s are just older a-hole JK / JL / Gladiator owners now. a lot of YJ owners from the same time period are TJ owners now. JeepBroDudes that are obsessed with always having the newest and trendiest Jeeps are always going to own the newest and trendiest.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
a lot of the a-hole TJ owners from the early to mid 2000s are just older a-hole JK / JL / Gladiator owners now. a lot of YJ owners from the same time period are TJ owners now. JeepBroDudes that are obsessed with always having the newest and trendiest Jeeps are always going to own the newest and trendiest.
Fact people that buy the newest stuff and the entire quadratec catalog can't comprehend fixing anything or modifying anything to void the warranty. TJ guys that still have them are obviously in the fix it camp by choice or by $. When was the last TJ made, 20 years ago? Back in the days when the forum was hopping we would have people show up on runs all the time with jeeps sporting a couple hundred miles and be horrified they might get a scratch. Not bad people, but making payments. We all know who the insufferable jerks are that like to poke fun but can't dive and don't want to do anything past curb hopping.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I think most of the TJ forum here would still look down on us and probably look down on those gladiators too lol I was turned off from the TJ crowd here a long time ago. Obviously there are some good ones but the rest, mehh. I will say, the few that did recently start posting here seem to be good ones, trying to lend helpful info and not stirring the pot
That and most of the TJ crowd still thinks it's more cost-effective to do a Super35 over upgrading to an 8.8. IF they are willing to upgrade stock parts at all. Haha

I have to say though that my wife's TJ is quite a capable Jeep. Needs a locker. Both of our Jeeps are way better than a JK Rubicon or a stock JL though. Better than basically anything with 4 doors offroad. I know of two people with newer Jeeps that can do a bit more than my YJ or my TJ can, but they have also spent faaaaaaaaar more money bolting on parts than I have. Both are running (crappy) 37" tires.

Anyway, my point is.... have fun with what you've got. And if what you've got cost 1/5 of what the other guy spent on his? Good.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I like TJs, I really do. They have some things I do not care for though. There forum is awfully feisty and downright rude at times. People take eyepatch guys word as gospel and he is pretty knowledgeable about a lot of things but so far out in left field about others but people just take his side. Death wobble is a topic that he does not understand and he takes a hard stance with wrong information. I may or may not on occasion stir the pot with those guys. I have been ganged up on by them when I was 100% correct.

I do like the JKU body, I don't really care for the powertrain in them. They are at an advantage on some steeper terrain because of the longer wheel base. I do not care for the JL at all. The Gladiator is ok but really a niche vehicle, not much of a truck and has a horrible departure angle but yet they are kind cool looking. I love XJs. Not as much as YJs and CJs though. I think that CJs are very cool looking but we all know the improvements made to the YJ made it better.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Yes, powertrain... I keep telling my wife that JKs onward are just glorified minivans. Why Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat ever thought it was a good idea to put an unreliable (and overly complicated) powertrain in a simple, reliable, off-road vehicle is beyond me.

I'm not sure if there IS a modern vehicle built that still holds true to the KISS method that made the YJ such an amazing vehicle.
Maybe the Mexican-made 1960's Beetles... but I'm not sure if they are still manufacturing those.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Yes, powertrain... I keep telling my wife that JKs onward are just glorified minivans. Why Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat ever thought it was a good idea to put an unreliable (and overly complicated) powertrain in a simple, reliable, off-road vehicle is beyond me.

I'm not sure if there IS a modern vehicle built that still holds true to the KISS method that made the YJ such an amazing vehicle.
Maybe the Mexican-made 1960's Beetles... but I'm not sure if they are still manufacturing those.
It is a minivan powertrain for sure. It does not matter which engine you speak of in the JK. 3.8L, 3.6L, they are far easier to work on in the minivans. I can get them done in a minivan but struggle like hell with some stuff in a wrangler. They were designed to be in the soccer mom van, not in the wrangler. JLs are a freaking joke.

As far as keep it simple. OBDII, CARB, CAFE, and other government standards simply made that impossible. Along with it came the 2 bazillion modules in a vehicle. Some are safety, some are creature features but it gets overly complicated and the engineers and tech assistance often times do not even understand how it all works. And then you want to scam a technicians diagnostic and repair time when you guys brought a "team" of FSEs and such to the dealer for this problem child vehicle and struggled you a$$es off in front of me. Cars will never be simple again. Hybrid and electrical car technology is over the top. Do not even get me started on Autonomous vehicles and driver assisted things like lane change departure and adaptive cruise and what not. The throttle cable itself was deleted over a decade ago and cars are throttle by wire now. It is still not mastered and when it goes into limp mode it could get you killed. So these pay less attention features when driving like my car will steer or stop itself are even worse news. Cars are going into a very bad place right now.

Kinda related. How can the Govt push electric cars when our grid cannot handle the strain on it already? We already have brownouts and blackouts. Electric cars draw some serious amperage to recharge. WTH? We are being forced into something that our infrastructure cannot handle? Because politicians are bought and paid for by special interest groups and honestly, they are downright stupid at times.

Don might chime in now and tell us to take this to political, thanks to me.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
That and most of the TJ crowd still thinks it's more cost-effective to do a Super35 over upgrading to an 8.8. IF they are willing to upgrade stock parts at all. Haha

I have to say though that my wife's TJ is quite a capable Jeep. Needs a locker. Both of our Jeeps are way better than a JK Rubicon or a stock JL though. Better than basically anything with 4 doors offroad. I know of two people with newer Jeeps that can do a bit more than my YJ or my TJ can, but they have also spent faaaaaaaaar more money bolting on parts than I have. Both are running (crappy) 37" tires.

Anyway, my point is.... have fun with what you've got. And if what you've got cost 1/5 of what the other guy spent on his? Good.
All true but I think when we all started in with the 8.8 the TJ was still new enough that few were interested in hacking and welding on them but the opinion has kind of stuck. Having done a couple TJ 8.8 I will say it's no small job to get all the brackets in the right place.

One of my wheeling buddies had the very first prototype super 35 in his TJ. Blaine was following us all over the place to see how it worked.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts

Mahindra Roxor .....:unsure:

But it's true. Anything with super in the name is better than non super. When they come out with the super duper 8.8 then we can talk. Otherwise don't waste my time with this non super madness.
/s
I believe Waternut has one of the super duper 8.8's installed in his rig.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
All true but I think when we all started in with the 8.8 the TJ was still new enough that few were interested in hacking and welding on them but the opinion has kind of stuck. Having done a couple TJ 8.8 I will say it's no small job to get all the brackets in the right place.

One of my wheeling buddies had the very first prototype super 35 in his TJ. Blaine was following us all over the place to see how it worked.
I don't think I would even bother with the 8.8 In a TJ or LJ at this point. Given the bracket locations and fitment I think I would just try and pickup a JK 44 and use that.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I believe Waternut has one of the super duper 8.8's installed in his rig.
Whether or not if he admits it. I AM the dude that steered Waternut into this direction. I AM the one that steered him towards Moser axles and a couple of others and the drag race reliability. Waternut has a very capable rear diff that is lighter and suffers less ground clearance issues than tons. He blazed new trails. It will work, it will last. It is a very strong option of what is already agreed upon to being an very easy and cost effective diff swap. The ford 8.8 swap is easy, beefing it up is easy also. Waternut nailed it when he did it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Whether or not if he admits it. I AM the dude that steered Waternut into this direction. I AM the one that steered him towards Moser axles and a couple of others and the drag race reliability. Waternut has a very capable rear diff that is lighter and suffers less ground clearance issues than tons. He blazed new trails. It will work, it will last. It is a very strong option of what is already agreed upon to being an very easy and cost effective diff swap. The ford 8.8 swap is easy, beefing it up is easy also. Waternut nailed it when he did it.
I want to shave mine someday. I don't have a super duper 8.8, but the ground clearance can be an issue sometimes. I hit the rear diff on more stuff than any other part of my Jeep, except for possibly the front shackle eyes.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
TJ is quite a capable Jeep. Needs a locker
There’s a young guy in the local club that started YJ and was thinking tj or links as the next move.

Observing his own performance off road (lifted, now a locker up front etc) and I think watching my conservative but severely modified (though mostly unnoticeable to most) ‘89 he apparently decided a YJ could flex aplenty. Several years later he’s got two YJs and one on 37s and I don’t think he’ll leave the leaf fold.
CJs are very cool looking but we all know the improvements made to the YJ made it better.
I’m reasonably certain at least for myself that my CYJ is the best thing I could’ve done. The ‘62 nose look and the wide-framed stance with better frame and springs of the YJ are great. Nothing against the now iconic square headlights but I just didn’t want the frame, trans, axles etc of a CJ just the look.

The tj begins to stop look like a classic jeep imho. The ‘plastic’ interior- nearly the same as aYJ- just doesn’t have the same feel as a YJ; the YJ feels and looks ‘as expected’ while the tj not only looks ugly with the grille and fender lighting, it feels cheap from the driver’s seat, just like a cadillac cimarron wasn’t a Cadillac. It’s only benefit is rubikon axles and parts donor for YJs methinks. I am grateful for my tj soundbar with dome light lol

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
"....We already have brownouts and blackouts. Electric cars draw some serious amperage to recharge. WTH? We are being forced into something that our infrastructure cannot handle? Because politicians are bought and paid for by special interest groups and honestly, they are downright stupid at times."

This.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,503 Posts
plus the 8.8 just LOOKS beefier and cooler than the scrawny looking little D35.
But a D35 makes me look jacked as hell.

I felt like a BEAST when I yanked it out and was able to carry it across my underground car park without much effort.

(Probably the best aspect of the D35 IMHO.)

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,503 Posts
the tj not only looks ugly with the grille and fender lighting, it feels cheap. It’s only benefit is rubikon axles
I guess context matters for that axle swap.

Because the front 44 is really a glorified d30 with some added strength. Some.

But that strength differencd can be wiped out with a little money and a Saturday afternoon.

The rear 44 is wiped out by an 8.8.

What are ya left with? If they came.to me cheap and I was still stock d30 and d35, sure... cool. Even cooler if I can get the locker system working properly in my YJ.

But from my driver's seat, the rubi 44s on TJs are a pass. Not worth the time, effort or money involved considering the options we have.

(I won't sit here and lie. I LOVED the 6 speed manual on my '06 sport. I loved the interior/exterior colouring and finish on my '03 Sahara.... but the YJ is a terminator. Not cute one bit. And only inviting to a niche demographic. The way Iike it. Plus leaf springs (even though they are for poor people) are just much cooler to see every year that passes)

30601 - 30620 of 30661 Posts