Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30401 - 30420 of 30683 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Just invest in good seatbelts and grab handles. ;)
Grab handles in my Jeep between the wife and I are referred to as "oh ****" handles. The grandson was along for a ride one day and at 8 years old and the language being inappropriate, my wife quickly told him to grab the "oh my" handle. I love that girl. She is blonde, and polish, but not a dummy. Very quick on her feet.

·
Premium Member
10,316 Posts
Looking for some tube doors for the YJ.
What about half doors? I picked up some ugly but intact half doors for $100/pr missing the uppers etc.
Then of course maybe you want the air but in Vermont tubes don’t stop the stones, wet spots, and subsequent sling-off on the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
My only defense in having tube doors in place of no doors (which used to be the norm) is my poor old hound mix had a tendency to fall out and have his 90 lbs hanging from his harness connected to the roll bar. I had built a single bar that went from the upper door hinge to the striker pin for the door latch. That worked fine but I succumbed to the lure of a goo sale on tube doors a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
I do not mind driving with half doors on at all. I normally drive with my left hand on the steering wheel and arm on the door arm rest in any vehicle. The top of a half door with the upper skins off is the perfect rest for me. I am with fish on not having rocks and things thrown at me while driving. I have even had a stone hit me with the half doors on and I have full flares, only 9:50 wide tires etc. Besides. Another thought. No doors eliminates the possibility of ever getting a road blowie. LOL. Not like it is really going to happen, but why kill the possibility totally? And yes, Daisy does have tilt steering. The reason tilt steering was invented was for more "head room".

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Here we go. It happened. The pics prove it.
Plant Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Tree

So the wife and I busted butt beyond belief to prepare for our pool install way earlier than expected. Pulled a 14 hour day in the heat and humidity yesterday. I lost 2.6lbs yesterday alone. Lost 3.5 over the weekend.

Neither of us noticed this this morning when leaving for work but when I came home shortly thereafter to hook up with the pool excavator and installers I saw this. The beginning of a bittersweet day.
Property Building Window Interior design Comfort

Plant Building Window Tree Wood

I guess we are not going camping anytime soon.

Plant Cloud Tree Land lot Wood

By the time we got home from work though there was this. We have removed 14 trees total from the yard in the area of this picture. Now to replace all the janky fencing we inherited and put fencing back up where there is none. We removed it all for this project.
Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree Vegetation

Our pool sits in a pretty relaxing environment. The tree line you see has deer in it regularly. They are very used to us and quite tame. They feel very safe here. We also see wild turkeys regularly and lots of other wildlife.
Water Water resources Plant Cloud Natural landscape

The install on this pool is amazing. The liner is perfect. No wrinkles and the bottom is perfectly smooth and flat. We loved our last pool and used it a long time but it was not this perfect.
Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Road surface Gas

This pool is much nicer in every way than our pool at our old house. It has a stainless service panel where the skimmer and jet go which prevents corrosion due to any seepage around the jet or skimmer. Our old pool did not corrode in this area but it is the death of many above ground pools. I believe that it is poor total alkalinity and PH levels in the water that cause this but ..... wth... this pool prevents that. It is also a two stage pump and cartridge filter with a mineral activator (I believe that is what it is called) that allows a chlorine level of less than city water. This was included in the package and well worth the shot. If we do not like it we will go back to Bromine. It is less harsh on blonde hair for one than Chlorine. The wife is a former hairdresser with blonde hair. Chlorine is hard on it and you ain't messing with the color of her hair. LOL.

Lots of work left to be done. Improve the grade around the pool and backfill it. Get rid of all the roots. Yes the removal of all those trees meant that there are many roots in the area. Build our deck and landscape. Blah blah blah. Once it is full and the steps are in, all that is no big deal. Work up a sweat, jump in, work up another sweat, jump back in. Maybe (actually, positively) a little day drinking to go along with it.

Our house just got way more enjoyable. It may help offset the lack of camping in the near future.

I am pretty certain that our camper is done for. The pics did not capture it but the roof is buckled for about 1/3 of the length. I have a buddy who is a RV mechanic. I spoke to him today. It was comical when I called the insurance co. this am after trying to file a claim online. It treated my claim like I was in a vehicle accident so I called them instead rather than give wrong answers to get through it. The nice lady on the phone asked me exactly what time it happened. Me, "I do not know. There was a thunderstorm sometime around midnight for sure, I have no idea what happened the rest of the night. I was exhausted. So was the wench". We did not hear a thing..... Well, maybe a lot of snoring.

EDIT: The irony of it all is the only reason that the trailer was parked where it was, was for the pool package to be dropped of on the driveway and give access to the gate on that side for the installers and a place to get their truck into the drive. It is kinda messed up how the chain of events happened.

• Sad
Reactions: bpounds

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Our pool sits in a pretty relaxing environment. The tree line you see has deer in it regularly. They are very used to us and quite tame. They feel very safe here. We also see wild turkeys regularly and lots of other wildlife.
Hey, you can drain the pool in the late fall and use it as a deer blind. Win-Win!

Sorry about the RV.

Reactions: Awesome

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
131 Posts
I believe that it is poor total alkalinity and PH levels in the water that cause this but ..... wth... this pool prevents that. It is also a two stage pump and cartridge filter with a mineral activator (I believe that is what it is called) that allows a chlorine level of less than city water. This was included in the package and well worth the shot.
We had one of those Frog mineral/chlorinator units on our last pool. The supplies are a little pricey, but they do work great and make having a pool super easy to keep the water nice. I ended up opening up one of the Chlorine cartridges and filled it with bulk chlorine tablets. Worked good and was way cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Is that a fabric/membrane roof? Or aluminum?

it could fix pretty quick.
It is a membrane roof. The wood substrate panels are caved all the way to the AC unit. A side wall is somewhat buckled. The pics to not show all the damage well. Definitely not an easy fix. It is insured, I will accept no shoddy repairs. The trailer was over $25k msrp, we bought it new, it is only 8 years old. I do not want to be left with a piece of junk.

·
Premium Member
10,316 Posts
Definitely not an easy fix
I look at it like VW beetle rocker/heater channels: if they’re a little rusty or completely rusted out it’s the same amount of work.

Having worked at a trailer place one year and doing roof repairs (from rot) you peel off the membrane cut everything out replace everything and resheath the roof; new membrane on top and I never saw one that wasn’t better than the original. The factory stuff is installed with hope and - if you’re lucky- a prayer.

It will come out better than fine if the dealer is any good.

One thought- many of those style have mdf/hdf sheathing, or glued ldf. I don’t know that brand. But 1/4” ACX is a huge improvement over oem on the ones I worked with. The aluminum skinned roofs often had no sheathing at all, just what looked like poor-fitting ‘scraps’ stapled between the trusses and cardboard A/C ducts.

The repair can come out great.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
I should know soon the state of the trailer. An insurance adjuster made contact with me today. I honestly do not know if they will repair it or total it. Some of the questions I was asked lead me to believe that they may think it is a total loss. I have a dear friend that was an RV mechanic and currently work with two other trailer mechanics. All three of them think it is totaled. I do not doubt you fish that it can be better than new, but at what cost is the remaining question? Time will tell.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If they total it, they will be buying it from you essentially. And then they will have to find a way to get rid of it. Usually a dealer auction format.

If they do trailers like they do cars, you will be given an opportunity to buy it back at a low price. Usually at scrap prices or slightly above.

So you can have cash in hand to buy another. Or you can have the trailer and a little less cash. That would probably pay for an upgraded fix and leave you with money to put towards your Jeep. Or whatever floats your his and hers rc boats in your new pool. ;)

Apparently some of the guys here are as familiar with fixing a trailer as a YJ. Just thoughts to think about when you think you thunk it all.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
@Boojo35

Great minds think alike, eh?

Pool looks fantastic, by the way. When I replaced my liner two years ago I worked for hours and hours to get the bottom flat and smooth and get every single wrinkle out of the liner. When we had to drain it this year the bottom got messed up again and there's a few wrinkles in it now. Depressing.
That scenery of yours is pretty idyllic.

·
Premium Member
10,316 Posts
three of them think it is totaled. I do not doubt you fish that it can be better than new, but at what cost is the remaining question? Time will tell.
Cost to repair is going to be at a minimum the roof membrane, maybe some joists/rafters, insulation, ceiling finished paneling.

Then labor. That’s the wildcard.
Unless one is a great carpenter with a mechanical background and a visionary worker these repairs will nearly guarantee a total even at a 60% of book threshold.

I don’t know what book is on that; totaling it would probably not be in your best interest monetarily unless you bought it back for $1000 or something and fixed it yourself.
From the pics it doesn’t look terrible, plus it’s not rotten and nasty. Most of the time the ceiling joists (doesn’t seem right to call them rafters) are not much more than strapping and glued up stuff. Some vision, planning, a sawzall, a cordless skillsaw and jigsaw and the demo could be done pretty quick. Another eval once you can see and a trip to the lumberyard and you could be ready for new membrane in a day. 1/4” birch for the ceiling, flash the seams, and paint it. Get some wall mural psa and make some scenery. Definitely insulate from the top…

That’s really so easy for me to say… sorry. Not meaning to minimize but maybe the photos don’t show what’s going on.
I have no idea what a camper place would charge for a repair like that but for fun I’ll put a number on it: $3750- $4250
Please let us know when you find out what the buttflubber I mean adjuster says. I wanna know:)
I’m guessing $1000 deductible, and the insurance will ‘depreciate’ their payout by another grand or so lower than appropriate book, and then total or not based on $2000 theft of your own money (deductible plus the book reevaluation) in their ‘offer.’ Because it’s clean they will awesome they can recoup at the auctions.
ya, I’m cynical

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
It is not a wooden framed trailer. It is aluminum structure. The pics to not show the damage well. It is all fiberglass laminate sides, etc. There are signs that the structure is compromised. Aluminum does not straighten without a price. Like cracking or future cracks.

I have been through the deal with insurance companies before. Yes, they try to use and abuse you. I am pretty good at dealing with this, it comes from experience and knowledge from working in dealerships that have body shops and what the insurance companies try to get away with but a little pushback with knowledge changes everything. I am in no way interested in fixing this myself (too many honey dos right now) and will not accept a substandard repair.

Why do you assume that my deductible is so high? It isn't.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Don't have a policy on mine, specifically. I asked the insurance company and they said as long as it's being towed, it's covered by my auto policy. I bought mine for less than half of what Boojo paid though, and like him, I paid mine off.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Don't have a policy on mine, specifically. I asked the insurance company and they said as long as it's being towed, it's covered by my auto policy. I bought mine for less than half of what Boojo paid though, and like him, I paid mine off.
I never said what I paid. I just stated the msrp. JS.

Lots of assumptions going on here.

I did fully insure it . Collision and comprehensive

Fix it at no cost to me less my deductible and make it a fine trailer again or total it. That is what it is all about.

I am not interested in any way having to fix it myself. I paid fine money for it and insured it properly. I will accept what is fair either way. Fix it correctly or settle with me at a fair amount. It is that simple.

It really sucks that it happened. Our Grandson is here again for part of the summer. He is a long distance grandbaby. Like South Carolina to Michigan. We only see him usually in the summer. It kills our camping plans. That is some quality time that we value. It really blows.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
This is true for liability. But I would be very surprised if it covered repair of the trailer. For that, collision and comprehensive, you would need a policy, or a rider, which is what I have. Covered, as a rider on my truck, but it definitely cost extra for that coverage. That's probably what you meant.

30401 - 30420 of 30683 Posts