Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30321 - 30332 of 30332 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I only put E-Free 90 octane in the generator and all lawn equipment as well as the Jeep and motorcycles. I reread the label on my Stabil bottle before gassing up the Jeep Saturday and noticed it addressed its recommended use for ethanol blends but didn't mention all types of gas. So I've kind of slacked off on the Stabil.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Im spoiled. We have a propane generac house generator that runs a weekly test all on its own
One of my friends up the street has a good size generac on city natural gas and they said when its running under load they can see the quarter foot (cu ft) needle on the gas meter going around. This neighborhood was originally all electric construction but gas lines were run when it was originally platted out so a good many folks hooked up to city gas. I'm still total electric so its the half mile trip up the road to refill gas cans with the E-free.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I couldnt imagine being totally electric around here. You mean heat and everything? The bill would be astronomical!

Would be super spoiled if it was just hooked up to city gas but alas, Im stuck calling for a delivery lol

We have had to use the generator for a week, sometimes two straight while we waited for the power lines to be restored. Not being energy conscious at all lol we can go about a week on a 125lb tank. Could probably squeeze out 10 days being mindful of what energy we use. Both my neighbors have the same generator and two 125lb tanks. I considered getting a second one but doesnt seem worth it. When we actually have to use it, I just keep an eye on the gauge. Would be super spoiled if it was just hooked up to city gas but that will never be an option where I live

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Yeah, some folks around here have huge electric bills but I don't know why. After I replaced my a/c system a few years ago with a more efficient one my electric bill is in the $60s half of the year and tops out at around $120 for a few of the hottest months. Thermostat set at 75 for the a/c and the very few days heat is needed I set it to 68 or 70. No extra insulation in the attic to bolster what was built into the house. I have the pool shut down indefinitely but when it was up and running it only added a little less than a dollar a day to the bill.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I would love to learn how to play the banjo. People keep telling me it's really difficult. I don't really have time to pick it up anyway, and banjos are pretty expensive. I've never been interested in guitar. That's the instrument the hippy soyboy that sits on the lawn at the community college plays while he's trying to pick up chicks. Never been interested.

Anyway, little off-topic, but I know you guys like fabrication and pictures of welds that are better than yours. :D

And I STILL can't pick up a bale of hay. New tractor is 1500lbs heavier than the Kubota we had was, but the rear wheels come off the ground when lifting a bale. :( Need to come up with a 3-point weight system I guess.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
105 Posts
Im spoiled. We have a propane generac house generator that runs a weekly test all on its own
I'm in the process of adding a natural gas one right now. Just ran the gas line last night, going to run the electric transfer switch this weekend. It really sucked the other day when the power was out and I had a $5,000 whole house generator sitting in the garage but had no water cuz it wasn't hooked up yet. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Yeah, some folks around here have huge electric bills but I don't know why. After I replaced my a/c system a few years ago with a more efficient one my electric bill is in the $60s half of the year and tops out at around $120 for a few of the hottest months. Thermostat set at 75 for the a/c and the very few days heat is needed I set it to 68 or 70. No extra insulation in the attic to bolster what was built into the house. I have the pool shut down indefinitely but when it was up and running it only added a little less than a dollar a day to the bill.
Wow! Thats actually cheaper than the couple months we dont have to use heat, AC or the pool. I think our cheapest bill was around $85. Winter its around $150 and summer with AC and pool it has gone up to $300 in some heatwaves. Eversource (our one and only provider) built a monopoly in our area and absolutely rapes our wallets. The delivery charge is sometimes equal to the usage!

I'm in the process of adding a natural gas one right now. Just ran the gas line last night, going to run the electric transfer switch this weekend. It really sucked the other day when the power was out and I had a $5,000 whole house generator sitting in the garage but had no water cuz it wasn't hooked up yet. :confused:
How about when we first bought the house, we just assumed the generator was good to go. The panel was labeled well, the thing did its weekly test and there was no reason to think it wouldnt work. Well the first time we lost power we found out that there was one hallway light and one kitchen light and about 3 outlets throughout the house the worked...no well pump for water, no furnace for heat, no AC, no stove and the list goes on. I was fuming! I called the company that did the install to come check it out figuring they knew the system so why call someone knew. I got lucky and they hooked everything up that I wanted on there for free. They said they dont know why or how that could have happened, they remembered hooking the system up for the older couple and knew that the well pump and furnace were definitely on there

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
My generator is a 6250 max watt Coleman. I made up a cable (used to do electrical fab in a Sea Ray boat plant) to connect the 240V output to the electric dryer recepticle just inside the garage side door so I can position the generator over 20 feet from the door or any other opening to the house. Disconnect the electrical panel from the grid with the main breaker, hook up the generator, and I have lights throughout the whole house but only what room I'm in to conserve power, TVs work, microwave and one burner at the time on the electric stove work. Only thing that overloads the generator is the water heater so it gets cut off at its breaker. So far so good after several storms and hurricanes. One hurricane kept us on the generator for about 10 days. I turn it off over night because the refrigerator/freezer will go that long without thawing out.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
We have a 12k Generac that turns on within 30 seconds of losing power. It runs everything except the central air and dryer. They said they could hook up the AC but that would have taken them more time/materials and would have had to charge me. We typically lose power more during the winter than summer and kept our big AC window unit from our old place as a back up so it was put on the back burner

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
I have a 3500 watt and a 7000 watt. O I have an outlet outside the house to connect to. I can run my water heater if I dont run anything else. The smaller one was purchased for our old house with city water (no pump) and gas hot water. We just made sure the fridge, freezer, sump pump, etc. did not all come on at once and when the power is out we watch what we use. The 7000 was purchased for our current house and will meet its demands if you are conscious of what is on. My wife wants a Generac. They are too dang expensive to justify how often we have ever used our generators to power the house.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is solar a reasonable option to bring your electric costs down in your area? Obviously not when you need a generator.

Snow and I have an arrangement. We like to visit now and then. But we don't want to be exclusive. It works for us.

30321 - 30332 of 30332 Posts