Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30301 - 30320 of 30688 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Something else has your attention. It might be behind the scenes and not front of mind, but that's normal.

I have had my 93 for a couple years. Then I bought a 94. I have done almost nothing to them, but I definitely plan to. You are making waaaay more progress than you realize. I think the shrinkage of core regulars here has been more of an adjustment for everyone.

On another note:

Maybe we need to find something to spice up the forum and bring some energy. I see a lot of new members that might be engaged with some votes. I know you were whole hog with the yjotm, but maybe it is time for a new approach.

·
Administrator
21,385 Posts
Why do I lack the YJ motivation?

I still see members so rigorous ... dedicated...

What the hell is wrong with me? I just can't keep a project going these days, lamentfully.

Heck? I can't even pick up a guitar for 10 seconds. I immediately get bored. Never used to happen.
Life gets in the way. I am highly motivated to get my kitchen remodeled but I have been getting killed at work and after putting in 10+ hours I just don't have much energy and then on the weekends I try to get stuff done saturday but sunday is usually a write off. Supposed to go wheeling this weekend with Paul and his group but I have not even had time to pack the RV or do anything to get ready so probably not going to make that either.

Of course jeep projects, especially advanced ones, involve do this but not before doing that and if you do this mod it's going to require some other mod which is not really where I want to go..... so those either drag on or never get started or gets lost in gathering parts.

Can't wait to retire, or at least downsize.

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts

What the hell is wrong with me? I just can't keep a project going these days, lamentfully.

Heck? I can't even pick up a guitar for 10 seconds. I immediately get bored. Never used to happen.
That's happened to me in the past, loose my Jeep umph. Take a break, or something. Sounds like you're in a funk. Need to break a sweat, 20-40 minutes of exercise a day or couple times a week. I know it's the hardest thing to do when in a funk. But you need to change your body chemistry. Take action. You're not gonna think your way into better thinking, never works. Action gets you outta your head. (Dr Paul charges $20 per hr) :geek:

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
A lot of us have something in common. We think about our YJs everyday. Some of us more than others but we think about them everyday. No matter what state they are in, if we are or are not making progress, if we are happy at the moment or not with the situation, they hold our thoughts and realistically they also hold our hearts.

So, just feel blessed that you own a YJ. Start from there.

Damn. My 94 build started eons ago, has gotten paused over and over and for long periods of time. The new parts pile has grown for the good, it was a blessing. There used to be tubs availible, they kinda dried up or take to much coin to ship or go pick up. So now there are all the parts to build a new tub and that is what I am doing and I think it is cool as hell and worth the wait to get back at it.

Damn. I still have a lot to do to Daisy this year. Reseal and rebearing the driveline, and reseal the entire engine and freeze plugs. Pull dash, install stereo, reseal cowl, blah blah blah. Daisy is most important but I really want to get my tub welded together and at least into epoxy primer but hopefully painted this summer.

But....... screech....... We did sell our other house so now we have to finish the remodel of this house, put an addition on, get the pool put in, a new roof on the house and woodshop. Another out building roof. coming very soon. then really work on the property and landscape, garden........

Life happens.

On a very good note. I am going back to work on USPS mail trucks. I loved working on them before. Long story with lots of drama in between to how this came about. One of the cool things is that I can do Jeep stuff in that shop with all my work tools all weekend long, with hoists and trans jacks and everything. And even use the damn flatbed to get my stuff back and forth. Yes, there is some skip in my step.

RANT OFF:

So whats the problem? Do you own a YJ? Well, then there is no problem. Just upgrades and projects to get done that may or may not be getting done but have a priority in our life that is meaningful. Being meaningful means that they can depress or encourage us. JS. I really feel blessed to have something parked in my driveway that is that meaningful.

Dang. Then there are the folks I get to share it with.

Hot damn, going back to the mail truck gig. Perfect fit, perfect timing. I am in a good mood.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,537 Posts
That's happened to me in the past, loose my Jeep umph. Take a break, or something. Sounds like you're in a funk. Need to break a sweat, 20-40 minutes of exercise a day or couple times a week. I know it's the hardest thing to do when in a funk. But you need to change your body chemistry. Take action. You're not gonna think your way into better thinking, never works. Action gets you outta your head. (Dr Paul charges $20 per hr) :geek:
Interesting thought.

Good advice. I'm gonna give it a try

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I suffer the same problems - plan, start, buy parts, etc to start a project. Then lose motivation and do nothing or change to to new idea and repeat. Likewise not motivated to pick up the guitar(s), work on or take out the vintage sailboat, and don't ride the motorcycles any more. According to my daughter's psychiatrist and my degree in psychology I can chalk my issues up to ADHD and depression which I have been treated for many years ago. But it's not all bad. Like the Paul Thorn song, "I Have A Good Day Every Now And Then".

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Ok. The guitar thing keeps coming up. That is something I have to get back on track with. I have barely played in the last 2-3 years. Our grandson will be coming here for a couple of months real soon. Him and I always jam together. I need to keep the dang thing out and continue to play when he goes home. I need to be respectful on it again by the time I meet Bruin in person. I said something in front of my wife recently about playing guitar. Her response was "you know how to play one of those"?

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I added the banjo to my interests in college and still have the one I bought around 1974. I had picked up guitar around 1968 or so. What I found interesting is that learning the banjo from Earle Scruggs excellent book made it seem more like playing a piano keyboard than finger picking a guitar. I think impression comes from repeatedly practicing the picking patterns over and over like practicing patterns on a keyboard.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
My guitar history goes way back. I took lessons in 3rd and 4th grade, learned some basic stuff, the G B and E strings were the focus. In my later teenage years I played quite a bit. I did not have a good mentor and maybe learned some bad habits. I never used my pinky finger on the fret board. In 2009 when I was deployed in A-Stan I picked up the guitar for real. I played all the time when I was not working for about 3 years. By then the amount of online resources was amazing and I had a friend in a band that is very very good and played for about 30 years that would sit down and jam with me and give me great pointers, correction, and direction. Lately, I cannot find the time to play.

Anyways, I got off my own topic. I was starting to learn to fingerpick when I was in A-Stan and was being pretty serious about it and then I tried to chop off the end of my middle and ring fingers in the cooling fan of a large diesel generator. I could not fully feel those finger tips for about a year. Now I just do not pick it up. But I really need to..... That is a great escape for me. I do not think about other things when I play the guitar. My mind is often cluttered by other thoughts when I do almost anything else.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Since there are so many guitar players here, why not collaborate? Maybe pick a song that can handle multiple guitars. Have someone do a drum or bass line to keep time. Then everyone records their own part and passes it on to the next to add to the mix.

The tech isn't overwhelming anymore to handle it, and it seems like it might be a really cool way to get everyone back into a fun hobby.

I can see it now.

/F12 The Band.

Singles can include:

Ain't no tire big enough
Just Emptied Every Pocket Blues
Why Jay Why?
And many more...

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
There must be a live performance. And why not do it at Moab? I am warning you. My Mesa Boogie amp may just be the loudest. and it sounds better when it is loud. and I like it when it is loud. and I probably dont hear it well unless it is loud. but loud is the theme. I say this out of consideration for you guys. You may want to devise a plan where I do not play through my own amp. Like maybe Bruin plays through my Mesa and you give me a nylon string accoustic. JS> LOL.

Seriously though, we have to work on the name of the band. I am 59 years old and would love to have a band that is loud and obnoxious but named Broken Hip. Yes. Some of us old grey haired effers still like to bring it. 30 years ago I wanted a band named Morning Wood. Anyways. A good band name draws attention (realistically, we may not want to draw attention but a few 30 packs of beer for us and our fans and who cares, right?) I am just thinking about our world stadium tour and how to make it happen a little easier.

So. I love the /F12 name but I do not think it will draw attention outside of a small group of people. We can really have some fun and expand upon this.

Lets get some YJ inspired band name suggestions going.

Here are a few

Broken Leaf

Central Axle Disconnect

Turdy Five

Oil Leak

EDIT: Almost forgot. Your song suggestions are the best. We could expand that list also.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
But the silky resonance of a simple brush of the fingertip on a classical nylon strung guitar can stop me in stride.

Call me a romantic, eh?!
I just got a guitar boner reading that

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts

We need to go shooting together bro.....

Not at each other, although that would rapidly dimmish any boredom you might be feeling.🖖

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Ok, three posts in a row in the same thread but this one is really important because it just is. You will see in a minute.

I mentioned that our Grandson is coming in a couple of weeks for about a 2 month stay. We always jam. I have bought him a ukulele, a junior electric guitar, we have a key board, I have my several guitars and a bass, four different amps, then there are two trombones, a clarinet, trumpet, alto saxophone, harmonicas, and I guarantee I am forgetting stuff.

He loves to play guitar. He doesnt really play though. He just makes noise and sings like crazy and his personality is over the top when he does it. He is not shy. He makes up his own lyrics which are priceless and does it on the go.

I have tried to teach him to learn music, but will wait for him to want to. (Like my son. I played hockey growing up. I never forced it upon my son. I exposed it to him but never signed him up to play until he told me he wanted to play. I was worried about the boy, he was 7 years old when he woke up). Anyways, I did get him curious last year in following patterns and trying to learn a song with the keyboard. We had fun.

What this rant is leading to is does anyone suggest a method, website, anything to help get a 8-9 year old boy going on really playing the guitar? How to teach this age effectively where their little hands can do it. I really am looking for a resource. I know for fact that he would love the guitar even more if he could start making it do things that he wants it to. What are good lessons for younger players these days?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
We need to go shooting together bro.....

Not at each other, although that would rapidly dimmish any boredom you might be feeling.🖖
That is a great suggestion. The sense of smell could trigger your brain. Two of the greatest scents in the world are the smell of gunpowder and good ol' Hoppes #9. Js. Add the smell of bacon and pfttt. Who can argue?

I do however disclose that I have long moved on from Hoppes #9 as the do all gun cleaner. I learned a lot and that is a long story.

However, the Hoppes #9 is still in my arsenal. I wear it as cologne.

• Haha
Reactions: Awesome and bpounds

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Not the YJ, but the first Invest 90L yesterday reminded me to check over my emergency generator and clean the carb again since it was running a little ragged last two times I test ran it. Only the second time in over 10 years I've had to clean it and all it takes is getting the air cleaner housing off and spraying all the little orifices and down the venturi. After both cleanings it runs like new. And always starts on the first pull even after sitting for a few months. Wish my lawn mower started that easily. And its newer.

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Not the YJ, but the first Invest 90L yesterday reminded me to check over my emergency generator and clean the carb again since it was running a little ragged last two times I test ran it. Only the second time in over 10 years I've had to clean it and all it takes is getting the air cleaner housing off and spraying all the little orifices and down the venturi. After both cleanings it runs like new. And always starts on the first pull even after sitting for a few months. Wish my lawn mower started that easily. And its newer.
Hmm. I think I'm coming up on my Sta-Bil exp date for the gas in it.

30301 - 30320 of 30688 Posts