Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30281 - 30300 of 30688 Posts

·
Administrator
21,385 Posts
I love it when that happens. I did trans work in a GM dealer for about 10 years and part of what set me apart was my diagnosis and observations before I tore that sucker apart. My very first Automotive instructor had a saying. "If you do not know how it works, you are guessing when you repair it". You obviously know how it works. Great work.
Very true. It gives me hives to see people throwing parts at a problem with no idea what's actually wrong, especially when they are paying for labor. Some of those old videos I have posted from the 1930s are great at explaining basic operations and how things work and should be required viewing. Maybe I'll link them in the FAQ. No one ever looks in there but at least we can point to them

·
Registered
800 Posts
I love watching those old videos. I finally understood how a differential works without having to take one apart. That was a gem.

They have thought out all the steps before making them, and have clarity without using a thousand words. That's a rabbit hole worth going down.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Reactions: jbolty

·
Premium Member
10,329 Posts
obviously know how it works
Dunno. The last one I did (2017?) I had to disassemble 3 or 4 times before I realized that the 5th synchro was what was binding. Had to use the used synchro over.

This time same thing. Different case, different guts, but I had to pillage the used synchro from the blown transmission and use a retaining ring instead of a snap ring to make it work. ???
At least I was aware of potential issues and didn’t get it RTV’d and assembled before I noticed the problem.
Q?: should I drill holes in the sealed bearings to let them get oil? The sealed bearings were the ones that calved out- the big mainshaft bearing disintegrated half its balls. Just silver flicker everywhere, and no balls in the case. Just eaten up and blue and brown temperature staining on adjacent parts.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Q?: should I drill holes in the sealed bearings to let them get oil? The sealed bearings were the ones that calved out- the big mainshaft bearing disintegrated half its balls. Just silver flicker everywhere, and no balls in the case. Just eaten up and blue and brown temperature staining on adjacent parts.
WHAT???? THERE ARE SEALED BEARINGS INSIDE THE TRANS???? HUH???? I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A THING!!!! I really dont know what to say but would like to know more and maybe dig into it a bit myself. That is crazy IMO.

I have never tore down an AX15 either. I would like to. Probably going to tear down the AX5 from my 94 roller that is going to scrap just to see its inside first hand. My Grandson is coming for a couple of months and I know that he would be fascinated. May have to offer it to him as something we can do. He is 8 and loves science and how things work. My guess is that he will be down with it.

Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a question that will probably seem some or naive, but it's one of those things that'll bug me unless I ask.

With all of the concerns about rust from salt and various road chemicals in certain regions, do people power wash or clean their undercarriage in these areas? Or is it just too much to keep up with?

Maybe there are downsides that are only known to people in those areas.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
137 Posts
I have a question that will probably seem some or naive, but it's one of those things that'll bug me unless I ask.

With all of the concerns about rust from salt and various road chemicals in certain regions, do people power wash or clean their undercarriage in these areas? Or is it just too much to keep up with?

I'm from northern Wisconsin and Wisconsin uses way too much salt IMO. We try to keep up on washing the whole vehicle but the problem is usually after a storm, it gets really cold so if you do wash it there are issues like frozen water hoses, doors freeze shut, or windows don't roll down because they're frozen.

Most of the big snow storms are followed with a wrap around cold front from our neighbors to the north. (Thanks Bruin.:)) Another issue is once it is driven in salt that film gets everywhere and you can't wash it out. I had to move in the winter once in January and had to move my boat trailer. No rust before and by spring it was rusting. My new house had a heated garage with a floor drain and I power washed it the minute I got it there. Didn't seen to matter though. The fun of salt.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Some people say that if you use a car wash that sprays the under carriage, it blasts the stuff deeper or into harder to get to places it wouldnt have before. The common thing to do is a yearly under coating and wash it off in the spring. There really arent many other options other than getting a winter beater or trading in for a new car every few years

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,537 Posts
I'm from northern Wisconsin and Wisconsin uses way too much salt IMO. We try to keep up on washing the whole vehicle but the problem is usually after a storm, it gets really cold so if you do wash it there are issues like frozen water hoses, doors freeze shut, or windows don't roll down because they're frozen.

Most of the big snow storms are followed with a wrap around cold front from our neighbors to the north. (Thanks Bruin.:)) Another issue is once it is driven in salt that film gets everywhere and you can't wash it out. I had to move in the winter once in January and had to move my boat trailer. No rust before and by spring it was rusting. My new house had a heated garage with a floor drain and I power washed it the minute I got it there. Didn't seen to matter though. The fun of salt.
I daily drove my YJ through sleet, salt, beat juice, rain, snow, freezing rain for 10-11 years.

Now it might just be me... maybe I'm a little effed up in the head maybe... but every single Spring.... I inspected everything. I ground down surface rust in the common areas and recoated. Every single Spring.

The other option is to put a slit in your engine oil pan gasket in Movember, and allow it to spray oil all over your undercarriage fir the winter months. Just carry around a few quarts to top up every now and then lol (my previous owner did this for what appeared to be at least 4 years. The underside of my YJ may look cruddy, but it's solid and clean as hell underneath it all Lol

Most people would think I'm nuts doing that. The thing is... not all of our YJs are hotrod, or garage princess show models.

So... if you want to drive a classic... it's just what needs to be done if you have winter. It's not easy keeping something you use semi daily in tip top shape. That's the sickness....

·
Premium Member
10,329 Posts
WHAT???? THERE ARE SEALED BEARINGS INSIDE THE TRANS???? HUH???? I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A THING!!!!
That surprises me!

Yes, Aisin transmixers use two or three sealed bearings.

And apparently a number of other manual trans mfrs do, too. The idea I guess Is to keep the ball bearing lube holy and unable to absorb chunks of broken stuff or metal-laden case lube that would shorten their life. The earliest reference to sealed bearings in transmissions is for like model A’s.
It surprises me too but I guess it makes some sense.

I never thought about it much until this one ate it’s main bearings. All the shaft bearings are roller/needle bearings and are not sealed.

The AX15 is assembled and ready to be installed. I didn’t drill the seals. In hindsight I should maybe have taken an old one to see if my needle picks would pop the covers. Then I could have greased them with gold wheel bearing grease if grease was light like I’ve done with things like idler pulley bearings and electrick motors.
Audio equipment Eyelash Font Cosmetics Auto part

·
Premium Member
10,329 Posts
people say that if you use a car wash that sprays the under carriage, it blasts the stuff deeper or into harder to get to places it wouldnt have before
Baloney
Another issue is once it is driven in salt that film gets everywhere and you can't wash it out.
quite true
I power washed it the minute I got it there. Didn't seen to matter though
a thing called calcium bonding hurts, plus nacl is unforgiving- once it starts…
Fluid film. It’s not the exposed surfaces, it’s all the folded, spot welded metal that harbors CaCl and NaCl and rots from the inside out. Like our frames.

The 360* “wand” hose kit and six cans of aerosol fluid film will do a jeep. I also have a 6’ spray can “straw” that I can slide into tight places the 360* head won’t fit. I spray until it runs out.

Fluidfilm won’t protect 200% against salt- but it will prevent salts and oxygen from creating rust. The stuff just works because it works from the inside when you insert the spray head and coat everything.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well that gives me a much better understanding of how hard it is to deal with. Fluid film sounds like very interesting stuff.

My new question is how the heck did you get a six foot spray can straw?

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Test tube Cylinder

Joint Jeans Hand Shoulder Leg

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Baloney

a thing called calcium bonding hurts, plus nacl is unforgiving- once it starts…

Fluid film. It’s not the exposed surfaces, it’s all the folded, spot welded metal that harbors CaCl and NaCl and rots from the inside out. Like our frames.
You can be a tough one sometimes lol

You say baloney yet mention how it gets in all the folded metal and spot welded areas and rots. And agree with how that crap sticks to everything. Going threw an automated carwash that blasts the underside of your vehicle for 30 seconds does more spreading stuff around than it does wash stuff off. It doesnt even use any soap or chemicals at that point, its literally just spraying some water. When you run water over that white residue, you can see a stream of cloudy white water running off. While it does leave most of it behind, that stuff that trails off has to go somewhere

My co worker bought his 2016 chevy 1500 brand new and buys bulk in fluid film and applies it before every winter yet his fenders are all rotted out and my 2010 3500 thats never been undercoated still looks pristine. I think its better than doing nothing up here but its not the end all be all rust preventative that some like to lead others to believe. I think no matter what you do, if you drive a vehicle in the winter in new england, it will eventually succumb to rust

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
speaking of rust and salt, you dont even want to see the one im currently working on as a side job. the frame was HALF full all the way down the rails, with broken off rust bits from the inside of frame. Like a 5 gallon bucket worth so far just from the 2 center rails above the skid plate.

People scoff at me when I refuse to drive mine in the winter, yeah they are fun in the snow but its just not worth it lmao

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
If you guys hadnt stopped in our f12 moab trip thread, Here is a (28 minute long) video of our day on Hells revenge. I made things a bit interesting lol

Bad *** video man. Definitely on my bucket list but man all those climbs. I just got this thing about heights and rolling , ugh.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Bad *** video man. Definitely on my bucket list but man all those climbs. I just got this thing about heights and rolling , ugh.
Hells definitely has some of the steepest climbs and drops throughout the trail, but they are so smooth and you have so much traction. Id say the hot tub and my "east coast" style of trying to send it too early was the sketchiest moment haha. Escalator isnt too bad its just very odd feeling the whole way through it. Especially when you flop on the easy section :ROFLMAO:

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,537 Posts
Why do I lack the YJ motivation?

I still see members so rigorous ... dedicated...

What the hell is wrong with me? I just can't keep a project going these days, lamentfully.

Heck? I can't even pick up a guitar for 10 seconds. I immediately get bored. Never used to happen.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Ive been struggling a bit lately too. I have to force myself to start a project and lose my temper easily. It can be tough, especially by yourself. Just have to set small goals and you'll get there eventually

30281 - 30300 of 30688 Posts