Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30261 - 30280 of 30688 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,329 Posts
anyone have any experience with what to buy for a "modern" battery charger. All the ones I can find under $100 are supposed to be smart but all have crappy reviews about the things shutting off or refusing to charge a dead battery or boiling them over. My 30 year old version stopped working.
Not much amps but very setable
I was annoyed at the price and askeered of the chiniasm content but I’ve got hundreds of hours on this.
if you want a battery charger to think for you this ain’t it. But if you actually like using a battery charger and not just plugging one in? Then that thing is the cats meow.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
anyone have any experience with what to buy for a "modern" battery charger. All the ones I can find under $100 are supposed to be smart but all have crappy reviews about the things shutting off or refusing to charge a dead battery or boiling them over. My 30 year old version stopped working.
It is true that the newer smart chargers will not charge a really dead battery. I believe it is because they cannot check the polarity so they fly you the middle finger instead. It is very difficult to find a larger charger without this feature, especially at an affordable price. Our work around at work is to put a jump pack on the vehicle along with the smart charger to get things going. I have never experienced a boil over with one but I err to the side of caution anyways when charging and do not leave a battery unattended for a long enough period of time to boil it over.

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
I bought one of these a few years ago when they were still under $100 and it's been a fantastic charger.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
My buddies dad had a dark room too, we were not allowed in there. Strange sounds came from it at night.

·
Administrator
21,385 Posts
last week a friend of a friend of a friend posed up some pix from their weekend run. They ran into a guy with a TJ who had somehow ripped of three control arm mounts. He was waiting for friend to come back with a whole axle he had extra. fast forward to yesterday, on the same trail and the dooosh left behind the entire old axle and a pile of broken parts. unfortunately no one knows who it was by name, yet. I bet we will find out eventually. If he wants to make up a BS excuse about "coming back later to get it" he can find it at my house until I scrap it.

Vehicle Tire Sky Plant Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Chris is like that.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
@Boojo35 i think you will appreciate this. Remember my no-disassembly diagnosis on my blown AX15? I wish I could always be that good.
I love it when that happens. I did trans work in a GM dealer for about 10 years and part of what set me apart was my diagnosis and observations before I tore that sucker apart. My very first Automotive instructor had a saying. "If you do not know how it works, you are guessing when you repair it". You obviously know how it works. Great work.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I just realized Chrisnvegas hasn't been on in about 5 days.
I'm here. Got stupid shoulder problems still.
Had it fixed before Thanksgiving, was off work for 4 months, released back to work.
Sitting at a red light, at work, about 2:00am drunk driver plowed into the back of work pickup, estimated speed 60+ mph, shoulder is torn again.
Doctor is pissed, kind of blames me for going back to work.
So his office is looking for a different doctor.
I'm typing with one hand again.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,537 Posts
I found some at Smiths today (not kidding)
Honestly.... usually when Chris disappears for a week or two... he comes back with photos of a new toy he now owns.

Considering his collection. I was expecting him to tune back in with a photo of a hovercraft. 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I'm here. Got stupid shoulder problems still.
Had it fixed before Thanksgiving, was off work for 4 months, released back to work.
Sitting at a red light, at work, about 2:00am drunk driver plowed into the back of work pickup, estimated speed 60+ mph, shoulder is torn again.
Doctor is pissed, kind of blames me for going back to work.
So his office is looking for a different doctor.
I'm typing with one hand again.
That sucks big time. I was worried you might have been in the fire zones near there. But that would suck too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Drunk drivers don't discriminate. You could have been driving home from visiting family as easily as working. Doctor needs to get a grip lol.

That being said, I don't let angry/upset people operate on me.

30261 - 30280 of 30688 Posts