Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30041 - 30060 of 30330 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
i mean, a quick 5 minute bolt-on facelift is rather intriguing.... i cant lie.
It can be a much more challenging project than you think. The app to make the halos change colors can be really buggy on some phones not to mention if you left without your phone or the battery went dead. Grrr.

• Sad
Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Here is a tip that may help some of you handymen. Plywood does not like to hold a screw as you may all know, especially in the side of it. Drill into the face with a forstner bit, (or other, I prefer forstner bits for their presicion) glue in a hardwood dowel, in this instance I used Oak, then crossdrill your pilot hole for your screw and wahlah. It holds like was screwed into a true hardwood frame rather than splitting, separating and expanding your plywood layers. It actually screws in as tight as if it were a solid maple frame.
Wood Audio equipment Hardwood Gas Rectangle

Reactions: Luuca and cpia84

·
Premium Member
9,783 Posts
Cloud Sky Tire Car Vehicle

8*F and the sun is…coming. Maybe.
gonna be ten below in a coupla nights :(

I need summer. At least there’s not much snow. The weather scarecasters said little snow and warmer than average temps. At least they were right (so far) on snow.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
It would basically be to haul my actual jeep in style lol (tow package would be added). I wouldn't be decking it out, except for wheels/tires, and the obligatory multi coloured LED lights that synchronize to the music i'm listening to for the undercarriage and inside the grill (right here i would have normally inputted the :teehee: emoji... that's one thing i wont get over with this new platform... really am never going to get over missing the old emoji package)

We'll see how the chips fall.
Would you be looking at the Diesel option? I have been doing research on it and who knows down the road I will probably own one myself, no time soon. Currently working on 3ish vehicle projects, a Building I need to build, plus other interior projects in my house (flooring, and bathroom remodel)

A dedicated tow rig is nice to have plus you can have a spot for your camping stuff. Heck just need to do a Square headlight conversion and I would already own a gladiator lol.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
8*F and the sun is…coming. Maybe. gonna be ten below in a coupla nights :(
I need summer.
I spent a lot of time wheeling in VT in my off-road formative years, '96-'11, when I lived in Poughkeepsie. It's warmer where I am now, but still the short days and the hard top make Jeeping less attractive . Each spring I take a class at the local Comm Coll for mental health in the dark time. This year, starting this Monday, I'm taking Astronomy. Prior spring terms I've taken Photography and a few Anthropology classes.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I saw someplace- wish I’d bookmarked it- where someone CJ’d a gladiator nose. I meant to get back to it but I lost track of the thing. I wasn’t sure if it was a photoshop or for real.
Retro Modified vehicles are very interesting to me and add that nostalgia to it that we all love.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Bruin, they are the lower cabinets for the house that we are finally going to put on the market. We have owned two homes for 8 or 9 years. The plan was for both of us to relocate within the first year or two. For me it worked out. Her job took her down a different path then we thought it would and her ability to transfer within her company to the Grand Rapids office did not happen until this past year. It was all worth it. She loves her job and it kept her closer to her parents who are getting quite old and dads health is not so great. She also in the meantime was promoted to the Administrator position in the GR office. It really worked out well.

When I started building the new cabinets I built the uppers first. I started this project a long time ago knowing the kitchen would be one of the last things we did so I was in no hurry. The face frames and doors are all Maple. Due to covid the price of lumber skyrocketed and I did not feel it was worth spending that amount of money on wood on painted cabinets for a house that we are not staying in. The lower cabinet faceframes are Birch ply and the doors for those are made out of some pine that I got for free and was just laying around waiting to be used. In the end they look the same and thanks to this trick I found they hold screws well and will be just as serviceable as if they were Maple. They are still way nicer than some of the box store crap. There is no stapled together laminated particle board in my cabinets. LOL. I use a lot of birch, maple or oak ply for certain things and use pocket hole joinery at times. This trick just upped my game.

Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Premium Member
9,783 Posts
I spent a lot of time wheeling in VT . Each spring I take a class at the local Comm Coll for mental health in the dark time.
Interesting viewpoint. I’ve been wanting to take the Certified TIG class at VTech and want to this winter but I hadn’t considered this ancillary benefit. Thanks.

Certified should let me do some pressurized gas and a couple other things to fill out my ‘fallback’ resume reportorial if the current economic trends alter my current employment security or pay. Both of which seem to be slanting to dubious lately.

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
I've been flat on my back with covid all week. fever, sweating, chills, coughing. just now starting to feel human again. I'll get the YJOTM stuff updated as soon as I can.

worst part is coffee tastes like wet garbage. pretty much everything else tastes like either nothing or salt

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I've been flat on my back with covid all week. fever, sweating, chills, coughing. just now starting to feel human again. I'll get the YJOTM stuff updated as soon as I can.

worst part is coffee tastes like wet garbage. pretty much everything else tastes like either nothing or salt
I have been sick for the last couple of weeks also. Hoping you are feeling better. I tested negative for covid...... but who knows..... The crappy thing is that I called my boss last Monday morning to let him know that I was running late but am on the road and on my way to work but had really taken a bad turn over the weekend. I did tell him that I wanted to go to the walk in clinic at some point and time that day. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia enough times to know that when stuff starts getting out of control in the chest that it is time to not be a stubborn man and actually go see the doctor. My boss/owner said "Do not come in to work" and then proceeded to not pay me for New Years Day because I did not report for work the day after a holiday. We have discussed this issue and he does not see where his statement to me to not report to work while I am driving in is not the same as me not reporting. He is willing to pay me but there is a but at the end of it. The but is me basically screwing him over and asking for something that I really do not deserve. I took him telling me to not come in at face value and did not understand that there would be repercussions. The really honest and not a liar part of me has a hard time with accepting the pay knowing that I am in his eyes screwing him over. This is why tool boxes have wheels on them and I did give the zerks a little squirt of grease before I left work today. JS.

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts
I have been sick for the last couple of weeks also. Hoping you are feeling better. I tested negative for covid...... but who knows..... The crappy thing is that I called my boss last Monday morning to let him know that I was running late but am on the road and on my way to work but had really taken a bad turn over the weekend. I did tell him that I wanted to go to the walk in clinic at some point and time that day. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia enough times to know that when stuff starts getting out of control in the chest that it is time to not be a stubborn man and actually go see the doctor. My boss/owner said "Do not come in to work" and then proceeded to not pay me for New Years Day because I did not report for work the day after a holiday. We have discussed this issue and he does not see where his statement to me to not report to work while I am driving in is not the same as me not reporting. He is willing to pay me but there is a but at the end of it. The but is me basically screwing him over and asking for something that I really do not deserve. I took him telling me to not come in at face value and did not understand that there would be repercussions. The really honest and not a liar part of me has a hard time with accepting the pay knowing that I am in his eyes screwing him over. This is why tool boxes have wheels on them and I did give the zerks a little squirt of grease before I left work today. JS.
I haven't been able to work since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. While having fun wheeling and camping in Utah (with a group of guys from work) I lifted something not even heavy and "TWANG" went the rotator cuff like a broken guitar spring. I felt it down by my bicep. Sonofabich it hurt like a mofocker! I might be able to go back at the end of this month.
I haven't missed a paycheck and will make 5 figures more with AFLAC.
That's why I offered to get you in here working for the city. It pays 6 figures with free insurance and an old fashioned pension. You got pissed at me and I was only trying to be nice.
Anyway, if you need any rust free parts or even a rust free musclecar roller (I recently found a 69' Cougar, rust free) let me know. I will be passing by the midwest in a couple months and have an empty truck.
That goes for everyone east of the rockies. You have till spring to get free Chris shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I haven't been able to work since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. While having fun wheeling and camping in Utah (with a group of guys from work) I lifted something not even heavy and "TWANG" went the rotator cuff like a broken guitar spring. I felt it down by my bicep. Sonofabich it hurt like a mofocker! I might be able to go back at the end of this month.
I haven't missed a paycheck and will make 5 figures more with AFLAC.
That's why I offered to get you in here working for the city. It pays 6 figures with free insurance and an old fashioned pension. You got pissed at me and I was only trying to be nice.
Anyway, if you need any rust free parts or even a rust free musclecar roller (I recently found a 69' Cougar, rust free) let me know. I will be passing by the midwest in a couple months and have an empty truck.
That goes for everyone east of the rockies. You have till spring to get free Chris shipping.
No Chris, I have never gotten pissed at you, not one time. Especially over you trying to help me make income. However, I do not want to move thousands of miles and nor does my wife. We love where we live, what it offers, our income vs cost of living, etc.... Our family and friends are still within reach. I cannot start a new career and end up being vested into a pension, I am 59 years old in February. Do not assume that I have never made 6 digits and had good benefits. My dealership career was not shabby at all. Research what Supervisors for a top 5 defense company in the world makes while working in a warzone.... When the warzone was at its peak. I did that for 3 1/2 years also and there is a big freaking tax benefit for doing so. It makes no sense financially for us to move across the country. BTW. Afghanistan made me know for sure that I am a 4 season guy and hate, I repeat hate your wretched summer heat. I like my snow, I love my autumn, I despise your summers. I can dress warmer to enjoy my colder climate, you need artificial means to deal with your summers. I can comfortably dress to go outside in Michigan to hunt, fish, whatever in any season. Nothing can make a person, or specifically me enjoy being outside for much of your year.

Yes, rust free parts are always welcome. I am surprised that we have not taken this a step further and we have discussed it. Let me work on the Cougar roller. We have done a very smooth transition in the past and know for sure that we can do it again.

I am honestly butt hurt that you thought I was ever pissed at you. Wow. I really really appreciate you, Chris. You are a good dude. I am blessed to have met you.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Was just channel checking and stopped on the Mecum Auction going on in Kissimmee, FL right now. 1990 YJ just sold for $17,000. Had a hard top and 35s on nice wheels. Nice paint job. But OMG! $17K?

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts
I wouldn't take less then 20,000 for mine. They are becoming collectors. The reason I would charge so much is number one it's nice, number two it's a real Jurassic Park Jeep. A 1992 Sahara with all the Sahara stuff still intact.

Here's an article about Jeep YJ values.
Here's another article from Haggerty:
"
Is it finally the YJ Jeep Wrangler’s time to shine?"

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I have been following the value of the YJ for a few years. Especially unmolested ones. Also the value of CJs of any vintage that are unmolested and or restored or even molested a decent amount but really clean. Clean vehicles are worth money and the older they get the more valuable they become. Part of it is maybe due to where the buyer is from. Sure, a guy in SoCal or AZ for instance may drive by and see a neglected YJ sitting in somebodies' yard that can be had for a bargain.

To find that same Jeep in the salt belt is a miracle. Your best bet is to luck into finding one from the SW or southern states but a lot of work and expense is involved to verify that you are not getting screwed, and getting the vehicle reliably shipped across the country or going a getting it yourself. I believe that it costs more money than people really think until they do it or consider doing it. It costs time also.

So the lazy way is to rely on auctions and Jackson Barret and others have made the car guy cars unaffordable to the car guys. Vintage Muscle cars cost stupid money these days, some folks are still looking for affordable ways to own something older so you look for the next and upcoming thing. Old Broncos and Scouts are very valuable. The YJ is the next natural progression into this. Face it. The newest YJ on the road qualifies for an antique license plate. At least it does in my state.

Reactions: Tophog1
30041 - 30060 of 30330 Posts