Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
30021 - 30040 of 30332 Posts

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
Did they remove the Classic View of the forums? I can't even function on these new fangled layouts
Don't try to find the old stuff, just learn the new stuff. For colors there is only dark mode and light mode.

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
Did they remove the Classic View of the forums? I can't even function on these new fangled layouts
it's a total new software package. Personally I think it's ugly but the tradeoff seems to be that it's much faster and more responsive. We'll get used to it eventually

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
But.... but.... but...... you are a computer guy... It takes a second to figure it out but it isnt that bad.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
The CFP playoffs being on New Years Eve is the worst idea ever. How am I supposed to have a Happy New Year after the Dawgs destroyed my Wolverines. Had they played the game tomorrow I would have at least enjoyed 2022 for a few hours.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,312 Posts
Is it me, or did we lose many of our community members here since the platform changeover?

I knew and could see there was some significant absenteeism in 2021... but considering the lunacy going on in real life, I understood it as a direct correlation... but, even then there was still appearances - albeit seldom.

It seems now, after what - about a month of this new platform roll out? The 'pop-ins' do not even occur any longer.

Of course, real life is getting ever more burdensome and December is traditionally a a busy time of year for all... so I will see what's what in January.

Just posting an observation.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Is it me, or did we lose many of our community members here since the platform changeover?

I knew and could see there was some significant absenteeism in 2021... but considering the lunacy going on in real life, I understood it as a direct correlation... but, even then there was still appearances - albeit seldom.

It seems now, after what - about a month of this new platform roll out? The 'pop-ins' do not even occur any longer.

Of course, real life is getting ever more burdensome and December is traditionally a a busy time of year for all... so I will see what's what in January.

Just posting an observation.
First off. I gave you a like. I know that they keep track of those here. You deserve them. I know that I am supposed to give you likes. You made that clear. LOL. (not searching for an emoji to replace LOL)

The new format is really different and I am still trying to find some of the "comparisons" or new names for the same old things. It is really not that complicated, PMs are conversations, Following or alerts gets you to what used to be control panel, my account, IIRC. it is better in many ways but yet I admit it is lacking in some others.

Yes, people have disappeared IMO also. I hope that they all find their way back as I felt that the good old F/12 has had a core of people that just are good ol boys that have fun together and many are friends outside of the net, many have made friendships on the net, and as far as the latter is concerned..... We are not of the opposite sex so we most likely are likely to be as good or better of friends in person. I know that many of you have been on the YJ forum longer than me but seriously. Being a mechanic for a living and joining a forum and actually saying it can be the kiss of death. We are thieves in some peoples eyes. There is a place called a Stealership. On and on. I am not totally defending everybody in my industry but I know that I have a vast amount of knowledge and a willingness to share. I have integrity when I go to work everyday and I never rip somebody off or take advantage of somebody because of their race, sex, or anything else.

Being a career long mechanic does not make me know all. Not by a long shot. There is no mechanic that knows all. I am closer than most. I really have some of the credentials to prove it. I have said it before.... I have learned a ton about these Jeeps from you guys. You guys blaze new trails all the time. When you get into customization and purpose built offroad things be it rock crawlers, hill climbers, mudders, and dune rides (which is the craze near me because we have killer dunes) you are outside the box of what I have made a very long and mostly satisfying Carrer doing.

You guys are helping me to build my midlife crisis vehicle, and hopefully in return I help you with the hard core theory and diagnosis.

Honestly though. I felt that more folks were just members of the F/12 and stuck with it because of each other and the comradery and just upholding each other to push forward through tough and discouraging times through a build or even just owning one of these damn things. I really thought that a lot of the core group either loved each other or the damn POSs we bust our knuckles on.

Seriously though. I thought it was more of our comradery and useful tech info in a very friendly format that even strived to help newbies and be welcoming to them rather than be donkey dongs to them as many other forums are.

It is kinda weird though. The color of the screen, a few differences, etc. have seemed to deter some folks from participating any further.

I never expected this thing to break down @shaggyjim. He is somebody I want to meet in person and a great contributor to the forum. His generosity towards me personally is overwhelming. I am puzzled to how he gave up so quickly because he found his way back in after they changed the locks. (doing the upgrade)

As far as them changing the locks. Umm..... there were some mentions of the fact that it was going to happen but not boldly enough IMO. As much as I frequent the forum I half assed stumbled into what was going to happen and username and password info needed to be tight before the upgrade (downgrade in many peoples opinions). I am sure that a lot of folks are out there in limbo not knowing wtf happened and maybe having a hard time recovering their account.

Reactions: bruinjeeper

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,312 Posts
Think I'm just gonna buy a Gladiator.

Apparently it makes this site easier to navigate, although I am getting the hang of it...

there are annoying absences of proper shortcuts, but I think that is more due to the changing of URL suffixes. No idea why that was necessary.

But... we'll live.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I had made this transition earlier in the year on my motorcycle and car forums, since they are on this format already. It was inevitable. I do appreciate the dark mode, easier on my eyes since I already look at a computer screen all day. I know it isn't easy for everyone. I do hope people start migrating back, this is a solid community and has helped me throughout my YJ build, struggles, concerns, and education.

The loss of /f12 to the URL is disheartening, i will ensure i keep my decal safe on my Jeep.

Think I'm just gonna buy a Gladiator.
UMMMM???? Did i miss something, New year and all, still a bit fuzzy. I did watch what Nate on DirtLifestyle did with his Gladiator in the snow and it does look like fun. And it can do "truck" things.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
It is kinda weird though. The color of the screen, a few differences, etc. have seemed to deter some folks from participating any further.
It's just harder to view the forum now than it was with the classic view I used before. Navigation is worse. More clicks to get to the same pages. The posts with adds mixed between replies so it looks like I've reached the end of the thread when I haven't. I seem to have lost the ability to search through my previously attached pics unless I'm in the post where they were originally attached (hard to keep track after so many years).

That sums up the issues I've had with the change. I'll admit, I don't check the site as often since the update.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
It's just harder to view the forum now than it was with the classic view I used before. Navigation is worse. More clicks to get to the same pages. The posts with adds mixed between replies so it looks like I've reached the end of the thread when I haven't.
Just focus on the content, same shows, just a different TV with a different remote. You only mentioned your personal negatives, but I for one have been here a lot more since it's so much faster. The waiting used to be the worst of every site I visit, every site. As for ads, it's like every other site of this type, go Premuim and they go away.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Just focus on the content, same shows, just a different TV with a different remote. You only mentioned your personal negatives, but I for one have been here a lot more since it's so much faster. The waiting used to be the worst of every site I visit, every site. As for ads, it's like every other site of this type, go Premuim and they go away.
took a little while to get used to it, but now it seems fine.

Probably would have been helpful if they a few days warning.. with a help page.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
The help page was/is there - it's just named Community Feedback; New Software Is Live. Wasn't the most obvious title to look for, but the Admins did a very good job answering questions and posting how-to instructions to deal with the new features.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
The help page was/is there - it's just named Community Feedback; New Software Is Live. Wasn't the most obvious title to look for, but the Admins did a very good job answering questions and posting how-to instructions to deal with the new features.
Yes, it was there but I didn't know about it right away. Again, I'm not complaining, it fell into place once I fooled with it for a while.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,312 Posts
UMMMM???? Did i miss something, New year and all, still a bit fuzzy. I did watch what Nate on DirtLifestyle did with his Gladiator in the snow and it does look like fun. And it can do "truck" things.

It would basically be to haul my actual jeep in style lol (tow package would be added). I wouldn't be decking it out, except for wheels/tires, and the obligatory multi coloured LED lights that synchronize to the music i'm listening to for the undercarriage and inside the grill (right here i would have normally inputted the :teehee: emoji... that's one thing i wont get over with this new platform... really am never going to get over missing the old emoji package)

We'll see how the chips fall.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
It would basically be to haul my actual jeep in style lol (tow package would be added). I wouldn't be decking it out, except for wheels/tires, and the obligatory multi coloured LED lights that synchronize to the music i'm listening to for the undercarriage and inside the grill (right here i would have normally inputted the :teehee: emoji... that's one thing i wont get over with this new platform... really am never going to get over missing the old emoji package)

We'll see how the chips fall.
Come on dude. We know that you would have angry eyes and halos.

30021 - 30040 of 30332 Posts