Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1214 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Ya well I am 49.... A fee years ago I was saying I was still young enough to benefit from a ton of experience. Recently however, I have been surprised to find difficulty in obtaining jobs because the hiring people are 30 and think I am obsolete. But they need a calculator to layout a stairway or rafter and think their shiny yellow 4-foot level is what you use to install a door.... I laugh inside when I watch them "adjust" a piece of sheathing with an expensive cabinet chisel LOL

But then again I don't have to make as much money as they do because an awful lot of stuff on my boat and in my heep /didn't/ come from a catalog.

My point is I knew 'this' would happen someday but I thought I was ten years away from it!

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Chrisnvegas said:
A month ago a neighbor asked for money on facebook to help with burial expenses for a relative of theirs. (I don't do facebook, my wife does) I gave them 250 This weekend they brought home a new car and their old car was only a couple years old...
That would make me nuts!

calvynandhobbs said:
I was taught that you should set aside 6 months worth of bills into an account and never touch it. It is the rainy day fund if I lost my job tomorrow I could survive for several months at my same style of living while searching for a new one. I've never had to use it and am grateful of that. My wife and I both have direct deposits out of our paychecks go to our own hobby funds. I call mine my Jeep fund. I don't spend money on the YJ that doesn't come from this fund and it is considered extra play money.
This is lost on today..... Even the Feds think the can just spend with no consequences. Of course that's not their own money either

The_Goob said:
True. My new strategy is selling junkyard parts on ebay and using the proceeds to buy crap for the jeep(instead of the bank account). It helps.
That is how I am supposed to be funding my project jeep (selling parts) but that has been compromised by paying the bills a few times too many.

Anyway the savings plan for 6 months is the only sound method of taking care of oneself-- I know plenty about being broke but I ain't ever been on welfare.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Randonexplosion said:
That's awesome, congrats man! So I went spring over today...... On a sweet '82 Rockwood popup camper that I picked up from an employee for $250. It's in darn good shape for how old it is, I'm looking forward to fixing it up and getting it up in the mountains. I may get a bumper with a receiver for the Jeep to pull it with, but I don't know if I want to screw with running a trailer plug on the Jeep. Man, that 33 year old hardware took some coaxing to remove, luckily it was reusable.
The plug-and-play connector is pretty cheap. I had to modify one withe the directions from the forum cuz mine's and 89 but the Delphi connectors were cheap and worked great. In short: it's not too bad to put a 4-way flat connector on.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
AZdEvilYJ said:
What if you took a receiver hitch and welded it between the frame where the gas tank sat and cut a square hole under the tailgate in the valance above the bumper and poked the square receiver through enough to get a pin in from the outside. Almost completely hidden and dont lose clearance or departure. Id have to take a look at what it exactly looks like under there but i bet there's room for something of that sort.
I like that. The "factory" hitches basically bolt to the rear frame above the spring shackles and through the rear crossmember so welding something to the rear crossmember a.k.a. bumper shouldn't pose a problem. 1-1/4" receiver is all you'd need for that camper anyway. Spare might be the only thing in the way. Or not?

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Awesome said:
I can tell you that Swag bumper won't last long towing a decently heavy trailer. I speak from experience when I say that if the receiver isn't reinforced, it will wobble out and you will get a really loose fitting that will eventually break. Single-wall receivers are a bad idea if you're towing anything heavier than your grandmother.
Probably not an issue.....

I get flak from friends about my 1-1/4" receiver on the heep. But think about it: a wrangler's towing capacity isn't that much to tow anything decently heavy anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Awesome said:
I have towed 1500lbs up a mountain and down a dirt logging road. I've towed close to 2000lbs of wood. Now that I have massive front brakes and rear disks, I could probably tow 3000lbs without too much hassle. :D Besides, it's not about how much weight you tow, it's about how often you do it, and how far you go.
Your setup is fine. For 3000 but then you still have the short wheelbase and light weight of the jeep. It brings the "margin" closer.

An 1-1/4" receiver is rated enough to tow 3500# but that's also in my experience where you start wanting trailer brakes pretty bad.

Between my boat (1200#) a friend's boat (same) and my utility work trailer (up to 3000# +/-) I have tens of thousands of miles on 1-1/4" receivers. One travelled between three different vehicles as they replaced their priors. No failures of any kind over the last...20? years. Including the one I made myself for my BMW 318 (rip).

He'll be fine with that camper.

But 3000lbs feels like too much behind a YJ. Dump run scales have confirmed I've pulled it but it does wag the dog IMHO.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
AmmitOsiris said:
It was parked at a friends place, and some of his buddies I don't associate with decided to wreck it. They jumped on top of it, hit it with their trucks. And etc. Shot it with their shotguns and rifles. .... I was pissed. sent from my phone because I'm not turtley enough for the turtle club.
umm. first thought: immature. second thought: what???!!! what for??? third thought: apparently these guys aren't very secure in their masculinity if they have to do that to compensate... Unless you knocked up one of their daughters then I guess I could see that.

That sucks!

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Mambo_Dave said:
I'm just catching up here - mind if we revisit the trailer towing worthiness of YJ's?...is its connection to the YJ itself - it doesn't seem to matter how strong a bumper has to be when the bumper, itself, is connected to the thin gauge steel of the rear cross-member by a bunch of small bolts...
Bingo! We have a winner!

Being that I can weld pretty well it wouldn't take me much to make a very ruggedness tow hitch and triangulated tie ins- enough to make the springs the weak point (like they aren't already). Among other things. Then when you consider weight of the YJ, available (stock) power, etc. etc. it makes me wonder why on earth anyone would ever want. To. Worry. About. Towing. Capacity. beyond what 5/16" or 3/8" grade eight bolts can put up with!

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
True -was just showing the concept.

My frame is plated with 1/8" and welded to the frame shackle bushing and the rear "crossmember" so I feel adequately tied in. If that breaks I would imagine that the more serious problem that caused the break a split second before would probably have been life threatening! But for normal use.....ya; it's fine.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Anticanman said:
I posted in the electrical forum a few days ago and didn't get any responses so I'll leave this here for a bit to see what answers you all come up with. • Can I run a 4 ohm speaker as an external cb speaker powered only by the cb output itself? • Could I daisy chain two speakers if their RMS rating is around 25 watts? (Parallel, not series) • The 3.5 mm Jack has many adapted plugs that can be inserted into it. I'm just going to get an old headphone plug and extend the wires. Which is the positive and which is the negative so I have it wired correctly? Cb is a cobra 21 gtl
1). Yes. Single 4 ohm speaker will be fine. If CB output is rated 4 ohm, no worries. If CB is rated 8 ohms, high volumes will possibly cause power distortion and/or overheating of the,onboard amp.

2). Ohm's Law: W=V*A or Watts=Volts times Amps. So a parallel arrangement will make two 8 ohm speakers be 4 ohms, while a series arrangement would make two 8 ohm speakers 16 ohms.

Simply using a multitester to check static ohms is not accurate, however, as the static reading for say, an 8 ohm rated speaker will often be 6 ohms or whatever. Go by the rating on the speaker. (I have an old set of solid wood KLH speakers with 8 ohm JBL woofers and 4 ohm enclosed midrange/tweeters. Each box reads at six ohms, while the original drivers were rated the same but ohmed out at 8.3 ohms)

Answer: don't run them parallel- not enough resistance. That will mathematically be 2ohm load which is closer to a dead short as seen by the amp...

3). As mike stated L-R-G is normal. (Actually L. R. negative)

If the switch you are using is a "center off" switch what you are planning on doing will work without creating a bad voltage hiccup between the two circuits. If you wire the sound bar speakers to be series or parallel, you should create this arrangement /behind/ the switch(es) so that you don't mess up the stereo imaging- or worse: burn out the stereo amp.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
calvynandhobbs said:
I plan to mount my CB overhead by welding a couple tabs to the cage. I'm hoping that with it being that close to my head I won't need any additional speakers and can rely on the CB volume by itself.
Often CB speakers are on the bottom of the unit. So this is good. But keep it away from overhead enough it can't be a game changer in a roll over. Your head is somewhat valuable.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
boduke5051 said:
I've considered an overhead unit like that when I put my radio's in the Jeep. One thing I've been concerned with though: I'm afraid that mic cord swinging around up there would drive me nuts! Also, in the past, I've wheeled rough enough terrain to bounce the mic out of the mounting clip on the dash, that was kind of a momentary annoyance and distraction even when the radio itself was low and the mic wound up bouncing around down by my feet at the peddles. I'd REALLY hate to have it swing over and whack me in the side of the head at the wrong moment, lol! Did you have any of these problems when you had yours overhead before?
I love overhead CB radios but agree on the swinging cable issue being something I would hate. Thought about hanging the cord on several self-retractor cables.

A while back someone posted http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-...id=1428689716&sr=8-1&keywords=Remote+cb+radio and I like that for the hidden simplicity of it.

White Audio equipment Answering machine Telephone Technology

Plus it has a purchaseable separately "AC701" or somesuch which is only like $25 and has provision for an external speaker. This same gizmo allows the CB to be used in as many vehicles as you purchase the gizmo itself. That is intriguing.

I think that would be a good all-around solution.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Mambo_Dave said:
I used to fly fish up in PA. Also done it in Tennessee with good results. I came down here, got poorer and poorer, and basically don't do anything outdoors anymore - can't afford it.
fly fishing for bass is nearly free if you've got the equipment. Same with fishing the salt... Either way, fishing is fractional compared to the cost of a therapist or a psychologist. :) it's like regular oil changes for your mind!
You're gonna be alive 'til you die so you might as well live while you're alive...

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
mike134 said:
That can definitely be true. I heard some guy was arguing with an anti-hunter a few weeks ago saying "some people need to hunt so they can afford to feed their families, the bullet only costs 30 cents". What a crock of ****. Tramping around in the woods for 8 hours a day (for 18 days on average according to Michigan's game reports) looking for deer is in no way cheaper than getting a job and buying bulk beef. You get about 60 lbs of meat out of a deer, that's about $250 worth of beef. If its your hobby, then it isn't a terribly expensive way to spend your time, but it certainly is never a money saver. Better off with a second 'hobby job' (or first job in this guy's case). Also, 18 days sounds like a lot of hunting to catch a deer. I'm not really hunter, what do you guys actually see in your regions?
Not being mean or a jerk, but WHY do drive an old used jeep when an old used Toyota uses less gas? Because life without adventure and choice is boring.
And I fish to recharge so I can live, work, and be mentally fit. I drive the jeep so that I need to fish LOL. Just kidding :D

1 - 20 of 1214 Posts