Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 464 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
The way data breaches have run out of control combined with the fact that savings accounts and some other investments don't pay enough interest to even approach the rate of inflation and cost of living increases, it almost makes sense to convert all income to hard cash and stash it. Even though I don't have any loans or mortgages and only 4 credit cards from three issuing banks, I enrolled in credit monitoring through Experian. My credit card companies are also pretty good at catching suspicious activity. I mostly worry about someone getting my identity and trying to open new accounts or screw with the title to my house. I check all my accounts frequently for unusual activity through online banking too.

My daughter (in her 20s) has had her debit card compromised twice but has to maintain a checking account for pay deposits. She usually converts the account holdings to cash asap and stashes it like I alluded to above. I'm beginning to think that instead of being slow to learn financial management skills, she may have the right ideas for this stage of her life.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Has anybody had trouble recently renewing their membership? Mine supposedly expired yesterday and I tried for over an hour to renew, but all that happened was I got redirected straight to my PayPal log in page. No credit card option, no directions, no address to use for PayPal. I sent a message to admin through the Contact Us link and still no answer.

Makes me think the recent software changes have screwed something up.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Yeah but I'm not even getting info on where to send it. I have money in Paypal, but no valid address to send payment. And no answers from admin yet.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
would it do me any good to use a synthetic blend oil or something in my engine to clean gunk out of it or is would you guys recommend another type of oil (like high mileage)?

it looked like someone replaced the head gasket on my jeep before, and used some type of stuff in between the gasket and mating surfaces. it (along with some oil that got caught in it) was clogging up some of the holes I the head, and I'm sure in the block too from when they clamped the head back down and access oozed into any open spaces.

I could be wrong about the stuff in between the head gasket and mating surfaces, but it did kind of look like it to me.

I just want to know that whatever oil I put in it (obviously 10w-30 weight) will do well with it and help clean up the inside of my engine as best as can be done if at all possible. I'm not in a situation that would allow me to tear the engine down any further, so that's not really an option for me. just want it to be as clean and well operating as possible with its current state.
I had to catch up on this thread(from page 1180) to make sure I didn't repeat any suggestions. My 89 with a 4.2 started fouling the center two plugs and trying to stumble on light acceleration from that. The oil always looked dirty at changes. I did a little Googling and came up with several testimonials about Marvel Mystery Oil. I had always written it off as snake oil, but tried it after a video about a 350 Chevy with very similar symptoms. After two quick oil changes with a quart of MMO I got all kinds of gunk out of the motor, the plugs quit fouling, and the stumble went away. Now every oil change gets that 6th quart as MMO. Going to try it in my daughters 2000 Cherokee next oil change just to see what crud comes out of the motor.

YMMV, but it appears to work for some problems. It goes in every oil change now. Also add the recommended amount to each tank of gas - figure it can't hurt and the YJ runs better than ever.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Hopefully this video will embed...

Nope. Check out 2000 hp Jeep on Google. Several YouTube videos of this radical YJ showing its stuff at West Georgia Mud Park (WGMP).

Reactions: cKruzer

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I've been lucky so far and only had one card hacked. But skimmers are getting to the point of putting their devices in self checkout registers in stores like Walmart. I won't even use a debit card at anything self service like gas pumps. Credit only because it at least has some protections against fraud.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I thought it was just my computer - I got a Script Failure warning then couldn't log on. Jumped through all the wrong hoops before just clicking on Forgot My Password.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Yeah great now just one more nonsensical password to add to my list of stuff I have to remember thank you!!!!!
I guess I got lucky - the new password they sent me is easy to remember so I guess I'll keep that one for a while rather than try to make one up.

Edit: Oh yeah, passwords got so bad I keep an index card file box with note cards filled out in ink for the websites & forums and the passwords in pencil so I can change them.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
According to the Terms Of Use, Jeep Forum is owned by Vertical Scope. How does AutoGuide fit in the picture? I need to check my other active forums for the parent companies. My email p/w is totally different, thankfully.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Because we don't discuss breaking the law, I will agree wholeheartedly that bullet buttons suck. That's a good looking hole punch you got there. Is that an 18" barrel? Is that a .308?

Tell me more!

ALSO< I've decided to wait a bit on Ol' Blue. Going to try some supplements and manage his pain. Met with the Vet this morning and he wants to try some dietary and other changes. we'll see.
Good luck with Ol' Blue. My Redbone/Catahoula mix is only 7 but suffering some dietary issues that could range from ulcerative colitis to cancer. Been consulting with the vet and adjusting his diet. Some days he's fine and some he acts like he's very near the end. Either way, he's always ready for a Jeep ride.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Sorry, Luuca. When I reach that point with Reggie, his last ride to the vet will be in the Jeep - only vehicle that stands up to his toe nails and the only ride he likes.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
for websites requiring all the characters, etc. Its easier to memorize patterns. Type on your computer [email protected] and you will see what i mean.
Hacker! :D

Weird, but the P/W they reset mine to was only 8 characters long. And easy to remember for a change.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
My last Jeep package contained a front receiver hitch from Q Tech. It was just thrown in a box - which it destroyed the box from the inside out. Somewhere along the line a UPS package handler mistakenly stuck a long skinny package into the long bigger hitch box. So I got somebody's doo dad for hanging more stuff from a closet rod. Couldn't send it back because the label was missing from the box.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Wanting to buy our Jeeps has been almost a daily occurrence lately.
YJ's are classics now. The idiotic square headlight deal is a thing of the past.
Values are rising and will continue.
The comments I hear are
" New jeeps look like plastic Barbie Jeeps"
"They are too big"
"I like old Jeeps better"

Look at the values of a nice CJ7. Big bucks for some.
YJ's are headed in that direction.
I just took a quick look through the local Craigslist, and for sure the asking prices are rising. Hard to tell what the actual selling prices end up being. But since I bought mine in 2010 for $3500, most of the 87-89s now are listed for anywhere from mid $6K to high $8K range.

With mine being titled as a rebuilt CJ7, and being pretty rust free, IF I ever decide to sell (which ain't in the cards any time soon) I could probably throw a CJ front end on it and come out pretty good. Probably do well just selling it in YJ trim giving a buyer the "option" to make it look like a CJ but retaining the improvements made to the YJ underpinnings.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
They did Javelins in red, white, and blue? I remember the rare Hurst Ramblers in that color scheme. A kid on my side of town was lucky enough to get one, then in short order wadded it up beyond recognition. Those were fast. As was the Rambler Rebel "Machine" which I think only came in black.

Speaking of some of the older iron, about 15 years ago I was at the Ford vs Chevy Super Heavy Weight Shootout over in Bradenton. Lots of sub 10 second Impala SSs and Lincoln MKVII LSCs. One guy had a nondescript silver Dodge Ramcharger suv that was cutting consistent 11s ..... with a passenger every pass.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
They ran them in NASCAR and TransAm I think. I dont know if the street legal ones you see painted like that came from the factory or were painted later on.
Thanks for the pic. I never new that about Javelins even though I was into racing back then.

I had to Google the Hurst Ramblers to refresh the memory. 1969 only; AMC 390 V8; about 1590 built.

And I stand corrected after Googling the "Machine". Most of the images were red/white/blue, or regular colors, and just one or two in black. I guess the only one I ever saw/rode in was black.

AMC was ahead of its time back then in a lot of ways. Those cars. Denim interiors in models aimed at the young market. When I was stationed in Miami Beach back around '79-'81 I actually traded in my Porsche 914 (needed expensive work) for an almost new AMC Spirit with the venerable 258 six.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Back to the state of police assistance (or lack there of)....
Friday night late sometime a driver managed to take out a mailbox 3 houses up from me, mine, and one 4 houses down. Mine was so flat I didn't even notice it down until my neighbor asked about it. Mine was as flat as a sheet of paper with about a 10inch wide perfect tire print across it. No damage to the lawns at each house and no vehicle bits on the ground.

So I called the county sheriff's non emergency dispatch number. After getting the basic story they said it was considered a crash in unincorporated county and thus was FHP's job and forwarded me to their dispatch center somewhere else in the state. After explaining many times where my address was located (about 10 minute job), the dispatcher advises me it is a self reporting incident if I need a report to file insurance and where to download the form. I thanked her and headed for Home Depot where I ran into one of my neighbors shopping for his new mailbox.

The sad part is that we have one of the best and most progressive sheriffs that this county has had in years. I guess multiple dead mailboxes don't count any more. At least I'm only out about $35 and some sweat equity.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Hope it doesn't come to evacuation for any of you. But big +1 on always having all the important stuff ready to go. We've had to do a few hurricane evacuations over the years. All birth certificates, SSAN cards, my DD 214s, property deed, vehicle titles, insurance policies and some other stuff lives in a fire safe and probably 30+ years of tax returns and all my service records stay packed in those cardboard file boxes ready to go from attic to car. Makes a quick exit lots easier.

Reactions: Chrisnvegas

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Too bad no one has an aftermarket clutch slave to solve the problem. When I was into Ducatis a few years ago I the stock slave fail on one of my 900s. I found an aftermarket slave with bigger piston plus a double seal for better reliability. It was from a company that has changed names since then, but the owner had parts for fixing anything ever made by Brembo and lots of other hydraulic stuff. The former name was yoyodyneti.com but supposedly the guy is still around under a different company name that I can't remember.

With all the HD aftermarket stuff I'm surprised there isn't a solution already out there.

1 - 20 of 464 Posts