Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
That's well into the no fun zone...

On the bright side, at least it was a larger suv. Although if it "were" a jeep suv, you would have just broken something off to get out and made a "custom mod" for a lucky customer. Free upgrade!

·
Registered
800 Posts
AGM batteries prefer low and slow charging. Lead acid prefer a stronger charge to a certain point before they go into "float charge" mode. You might need more solar. And probably a better controller. Mppt controller would be better than a pwm. I'm not an expert, but I have done a lot of research for a future project. Ymmv

Photon or Wraith?
Wraith. I like it enough that I bought two.
For a moment I thought you guys were going sci fi on us.

Star trek - photon torpedoes

Stargate Atlantis - wraith (bad guys)

·
Registered
800 Posts
makes sense the batteries I had before were something like 40 amp max output but it took them weeks to discharge. whole different game now with lead batteries.
Great info Fish. One thing that should be mentioned. DO NOT discharge any lead acid battery below 50%. It will lose it's capacity and longevity quicker than you would think. Lithium batteries you can discharge way down. Downside of lithium is that you can damage them if you charge them while too hot or cold. And the cost.

·
Registered
800 Posts
This got me curious so I checked into it. To expand on the information a little, this post from Mean Max might give you a little more insight.

Explorer 8.8 Axle codes

43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Specs:
Code Capacity Ratio
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73
L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential
Code Ratio
41 3.27
43 3.08
42 3.45
44 3.73
45 3.55
47 4.10
72 3.08C
74 3.45C
82 3.08C
84 3.45C
85 3.55C
86 3.73C
87 4.10C
89 (1992-1998) 4.10C
89 (1999-2001) 4.56C
91 3.27C
92 3.08C
95 3.55C
96 3.73C
97 4.10C
F4 3.45L
F5 3.55L
F6 3.73L
F7 4.10L
K6 4.10L
D2 3.45
D4 3.73L
D7 4.10
R5 3.55L
R6 3.73L
R7 4.10L

Max

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/ford-8-8-identification-227000/

·
Registered
800 Posts
couple trips ago the front brakes started squealing on my RV so replaced the pads yesterday, And some other stuff.
Wow. I'm glad you caught that before it caught you.

BTW, did you ever replace that ashtray? I know it was years ago, but I only read about it weeks ago. And since you live in the same area as my daughter, I have since often thought about bringing you one when I go to see her. Just because lol

·
Registered
800 Posts
The guy that posted that did it as a modular setup. The top could come off with the walls still on, or all of it together. The top also fit directly without the side panels. There was also a photo mockup of him adding a pop-up on top of it. It was pretty intricate, but very functional.

I am not a fabrication kind of guy (yet), but it seems that you are.

Boojo35, you have a PM

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would suggest a toy/car hauler with a front living area, but I don't think there is anyone here that has a YJ that would fit. Maybe bring an extra set of small tires to fit in, change out when you've offloaded at your destination.

Or maybe something simple and small like this guy...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yesterday I was in Trona and Ridgecrest. Wow, Trona is destroyed and almost a ghost town from the Ridgecrest earthquake.
Virtually all the stores and gas stations are damaged and boarded up.
I spent a number of years in Ridgecrest. Trona was destroyed and like that long before the quake. That town has been in an advanced state of decay since the 90s at least. Most of the buildings you mention were boarded up back then also. A squirrel fart might have done whatever new damage is there. MY friend up there used to refurb houses and needed a little help on a couple in trona. They were in the worst condition I have ever seen a house on many levels. There have been a lot of chemicals in the air in Trona. From the Borax operation to the gold mine. The air is literally toxic at times, although I have heard they are shutting it down. The two best things about Trona are the Pinnacles, and driving away from it.

If you are into ghost towns, Randsburg is about 30 minutes south on the 395. They call themselves the "living ghost town", and it's true. Old west type buildings and overall very quiet.

Olancha is really nice looking It's south of lone pine and not very large. We stayed at the little hotel there years ago to get away from Ridgecrest lol. With a little hiking, there was a small waterfall and area that was very peaceful.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Trona smelled like sulfur yesterday. The wind was blowing so it was dusty too. I could see the earthquake damage though. The road was still damaged, buildings were literally broken in half or tilted. The Dollar store was totalled and won't reopen. It was like the final nail in Trona's coffin.
I'm looking for easy eastern access into Sequoia National Forest.
It has always smelled like that. One thing of note for that region. There are a lot of dry lake beds in the general area. When the wind kicks up you get dust from Owens Lake. This stuff is not good for your lungs, whether you have asthma or not. So if the wind is really kicking up strong, close your windows. Also, long term Trona is a serious health risk. I'll leave it at that.

Now if you go north from Ridgecrest a while you'll see a turnoff for Kennedy Meadows. Gorgeous place. If you were to continue on that road, you end up at Sequoia from the east. I never went that far, so I can't tell you how easy or difficult that road is. But it's one of the few ways in from that side.

Since you're exploring the area, to the west of Ridgecrest you can catch the 14 South. I remember people camping and riding off road motorcycles in that area. Not sure if there is an 4x4 wheeling allowed, but it might be worth a check. I once saw the greatest lightning show I have ever seen there driving through when two storms collided. When I say ever, even special effects haven't come close in movies. It was mind blowing.

I hope some of this helps

·
Registered
800 Posts
Actually only the framing of the lid on top and the four corner posts (the white parts in the photo you posted) are fiberglass, the rest is ordinary 1/4" plywood.

Finished:

The lid before finishing; the framing around the edge is fiberglass, the center panel is 1/4" plywood.

The fiberglass frame:

The same lid and canvas on the same trailer but without the camper shell:

Fiberglass framing components and a teardrop top made from them:

You can do something like this. I happened to be looking up camp ideas for the YJ and stumbled upon this. Top is fiberglass.
I'm happy to see the popup worked as intended. That is great craftsmanship.

Not sure how hard it is to learn that sort of fiberglass work, but that is a great setup

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok. So in the last hour or so I have been through hundreds of pages and 3 separate project threads by jscherb. This isn't school. I was wrong.

This is more akin to multiple advanced doctorate degrees that spans a range that I'm still uncertain of at this point. Impressive isn't the right word.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My first thought when seeing that picture was " with some reinforcement and proper tie down points, you could just crawl your Jeep on top and strap it in..."

I think I have watched too many Moab videos recently...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Saw this add. Is this even possible. Or scam?
Scam. Offer up has a very specific car scam setup. They use various vehicles that people like and they are usually priced at $1200, $1400, and sometimes 2000/2200. They post the same exact pictures in various areas with different usernames. Almost always the accounts are newer and only have 1-3 stars. It's mostly phishing for emails. Most of the time they want you to email them. If your don't, they will work on finding a way to get your email address.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts