Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
runtime error = 0
3,166 Posts
There are a number of threads that are not tech related but are YJ specific so let's try this area for those.

You know you drive a YJ when ...

What makes your YJ unique?

The problem I'm trying to solve is the top being nothing but stickies; it was up to 12 at one time and on a mid size monitor that's the entire screen.

There might be more clicks if a thread does not have action for a while but if someone posts in one of them, "what did I do to my YJ today" for example it jumps back to the top. On the other hand if a thread falls off the bottom of the page it's not hard to open the link to find it again.

Also, I'm hoping this thread will be a home to some of the stuff that might get shipped off to GD or WGD.

We'll see how it goes for a while and adjust as needed.

thx
Thanks. The sheer volume of non tech posts is what drove me away for the last year. I spent more time telling people their post was not YJ tech specific than actually answering questions. I am cautiously optimistic that YJ tech might actually be YJ tech now.

·
runtime error = 0
3,166 Posts
I think the lines need to be redefined as to what is tech and what isn't. The question was where to buy something which is technically non tech along with asking how much the jeep is worth. But it could be construed as tech and I would answer it.

I really think we need another section along with /f12/ like a /f121/ directory where we can have dedicated Yj non tech where we get answers from Yj folks and not mixups from the tj crowd. Educated as they may be, they're not driving the same vehicle. I don't post about their jeeps value and expect them to not post about mine. If they were local it would be a toss up though.
It is not well regulated now I doubt a new section would change that. Besides there are other areas of this forum for non tech or general tech. It should be self regulated by members. Mods can't do it all with as many posts as this place gets. It's not the mods fault people post in the wrong section. Its a full time job telling people they are off topic. A forum is its members. Stop answering the non tech and when you see non tech let the OP know. just my opinion on how to slow it down.

·
runtime error = 0
3,166 Posts
Maybe I just need to adapt to it, but I currently do not see any feasible nor practical reasoning for forcing me to click more times just to find a thread that I and the rest of the YJ community like having quick access to.
Actually I think the thread "What did you do to your YJ today?" should be a sticky because technically it's a technical thread, but just a place for everyone to put their daily tweaks or changes they've done, rather than making a new thread for everything they've did (which is fine, as long as it's a writeup, how-to, or something along those lines, where the process of carrying out the modification might not be clear to people). It's nice having that thread at the top of the forum because it's in an easy to access and convenient place so we don't have to go dig for it.

Threads like "You know you own a YJ when..." or "What makes your YJ unique?" aren't really technical threads, but they do have to deal with the YJ model specifically, so I think it's great that we can have a simple thread such as this for quick access to them. Keeps the top of the board clean and organized and hides the chatter, but still lets us access those threads easily.
The threads you reference are general chat threads. They are not technical. Any questions asked there that are technical would get more attention as their own posts. In my opinion the way you look at the forum is why we are having trouble with so much non tech. YJ tech is not an area to socialize and discuss that someone did today. You want to socialize. I don't mean this as anything negative against you only as a good example of why its hard to regulate. You either draw a line in that sand or you let things run amuck. There is nothing wrong with structure.

and stickies are the devil. Keep as few as possible.

·
runtime error = 0
3,166 Posts
Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.

Thoughts.
the chat thread covers the non tech stuff. No reason for a 7th sticky.

·
runtime error = 0
3,166 Posts
JF is malfunctioning something terrible for me. There are multiple versions of the same threads. I can see the YJOTM on pages 1 and on page 2.... both have different last posts.

It won't let me reply, sometimes.

A few links have kicked me around.

Anyone else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts