Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
I'm not an EMP expert nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but wouldn't it be easier to make your garage a Faraday cage?

The National Weather service says a car is a Faraday cage that's why your safer in your car during a lightning storm vs being outside. Maybe that's why some electronics survived in their test.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Uneducated question here: But would having your negative cable disconnected on your battery prevent EMP damage?
It may help, but I don't think it would prevent it. An EMP is a magnetic field and when that runs over wires it creates it's own electric current. That's how a generator works. I'm not an expert either, but how I understand it, it would not stop it altogether.

A wire cage is called a Faraday box and is supposed to block the electromagnetic pulse thus protecting whatever is in it. So like a dog kennel in theory should work. A microwave works awesome, but obviously can't fit a jeep in. :)

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
I have a question that will probably seem some or naive, but it's one of those things that'll bug me unless I ask.

With all of the concerns about rust from salt and various road chemicals in certain regions, do people power wash or clean their undercarriage in these areas? Or is it just too much to keep up with?

Maybe there are downsides that are only known to people in those areas.
I'm from northern Wisconsin and Wisconsin uses way too much salt IMO. We try to keep up on washing the whole vehicle but the problem is usually after a storm, it gets really cold so if you do wash it there are issues like frozen water hoses, doors freeze shut, or windows don't roll down because they're frozen.

Most of the big snow storms are followed with a wrap around cold front from our neighbors to the north. (Thanks Bruin.:)) Another issue is once it is driven in salt that film gets everywhere and you can't wash it out. I had to move in the winter once in January and had to move my boat trailer. No rust before and by spring it was rusting. My new house had a heated garage with a floor drain and I power washed it the minute I got it there. Didn't seen to matter though. The fun of salt.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Im spoiled. We have a propane generac house generator that runs a weekly test all on its own
I'm in the process of adding a natural gas one right now. Just ran the gas line last night, going to run the electric transfer switch this weekend. It really sucked the other day when the power was out and I had a $5,000 whole house generator sitting in the garage but had no water cuz it wasn't hooked up yet. :confused:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
I believe that it is poor total alkalinity and PH levels in the water that cause this but ..... wth... this pool prevents that. It is also a two stage pump and cartridge filter with a mineral activator (I believe that is what it is called) that allows a chlorine level of less than city water. This was included in the package and well worth the shot.
We had one of those Frog mineral/chlorinator units on our last pool. The supplies are a little pricey, but they do work great and make having a pool super easy to keep the water nice. I ended up opening up one of the Chlorine cartridges and filled it with bulk chlorine tablets. Worked good and was way cheaper.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Yes. To be a Lions fan there is one important rule. Alcohol required.
Having been a Packer fan all my life, lived in Green Bay for 50 years, I remember the 70's very well. We have been very fortunate for the past two decades, but the 70's were like the Lions now. Every time they did something good, they messed it up and never were a contender. Unfortunately I was too young to drink back then. 😕

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Some of our frustrations involve your Packers and phantom calls leading to hail marys and what not. JS>

(whispering voice) I truly loved the Brett Farve era of the Packers. shhh.... don't tell anybody I said that.
I liked Brett too. Probably because before him the seasons were bleak. He did break our hearts with a lot of last second interceptions though (Vikings hearts too :ROFLMAO:).

I think the Packers have been on the wrong end of some of those too like the "failed mary". Agreed on bad calls though, too many games are won with or because of bad calls.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Gross. I liked learning trigonometry in welding school, but I still hate algebra. :geek:
I liked all that math, it was Calculus II & Calculus III in college that I didn't care for. Probably not the same anymore. I looked at my son's textbooks when he had those classes and I either forgot a lot (probably the case) or a lot has changed. :unsure:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
My Grandfather was an electrician so I'm pretty good with house electrical, I completely wired my last two houses and just installed a Generac whole house automatic standby generator by myself. I don't have a ton of experience with the car stuff. I'm not afraid of it, just learning as I go with help from you guys. Thanks for that by the way. :)

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
I'm happy we don't have to worry about the fires like you have. I wish you all luck & wellness. We have had some huge fires in Wisconsin, but not in a long time. The same day as the great Chicago fire, there was the Pestigo fire, one of the deadliest wild fires in US history. The wind was so strong the fire jumped the Bay of Green Bay in Lake Michigan which is about 15 miles of water.

The next couple of days will be in the low 60's here with nights in the 40's. Winter is coming, we usually get our first snow in September, nothing that sticks, but snow nonetheless. I like the change of seasons we have here, I don't think I could stand the heat you have there. I am envious of the no salt on the roads though. The only thing I use my yj for in the winter is to plow the driveway, it never sees the road. To much salt...

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Laredo
163 Posts
Got to thinking about putting the driver's seat back into the YJ after the Jeep Hot Yoga fiasco doing the brake lamp switch. Looking for neoprene seat covers; 4WP has a smoking deal if anyone is interested.

4Wheel Parts: Smittybilt neoprene front and rear Seat Covers $104.00

Quadratec: Smittybilt Front Neoprene Seat Covers with FREE Rear Cover for 91-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ $207.00

I just ordered a set for the 93.

Luuca
Those look awesome, but be careful, if you live in California they supposedly cause cancer. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts