Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
There are a number of threads that are not tech related but are YJ specific so let's try this area for those.

You know you drive a YJ when ...

What makes your YJ unique?

The problem I'm trying to solve is the top being nothing but stickies; it was up to 12 at one time and on a mid size monitor that's the entire screen.

There might be more clicks if a thread does not have action for a while but if someone posts in one of them, "what did I do to my YJ today" for example it jumps back to the top. On the other hand if a thread falls off the bottom of the page it's not hard to open the link to find it again.

Also, I'm hoping this thread will be a home to some of the stuff that might get shipped off to GD or WGD.

We'll see how it goes for a while and adjust as needed.

thx

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
I like how my thread is considered under the nonsense category.

This is basically Yj non tech. I think there should be an entire section like the XJ guys have without being wrangler general discussion.
Good point, I'll change it. I was not thinking about the actual threads within.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
That's exactly what I had in mind. GD or Wrangler GD is not really correct, since it's YJ specific. We'll get it right and making sense eventually.

Just realized that the two links I put in the first post are lost now that we are on page two. Have to figure something out for that.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
also part of the problem technical discussions sometimes really quickly turn non-technical and vise versa so that adds to the mayhem ... there is no real easy solution IMO
Very true, but at least if the first post is a question or defiante tech it can wander from there.

There was a post the other day from a guy that was just "Hi, just bought a YJ and checking in" I really had to move it to GD but at the risk of discouraging him from participating. I'm hoping this area can be a home for that stuff.

The good news is none of this is a tatoo; it can be changed pretty easy.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
All that happened is 2 threads became one in this new thread. What did it really change? I bet the 2 that were put in the first post on this thread will be ignored as this thread just takes them over.
I think that's probably true. Need a better solution for those, see below.

Well yes, "You know you own a YJ when..." and "What makes your YJ unique?" are general chit chat threads, but the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread is more technical than it is a general chit chat thread. Why let it run amuck down in the non stickied sections of the forum? That's unecessary and it crowds up the forum more because it's a popular forum. Nobody wants that thread being constantly bumped to the top of the non sticky section, because it's going to force threads that need attention down south where they won't get seen. Keeping it sticking is a good idea. The other 2 threads could probably be moved to GD as they are just that, General Discussion threads.

What about all of the build threads then? Perhaps they should be moved to GD too, because 90% of the thread is socialization and discussing what people did to their Jeeps on that particular day.

Or what about threads like the Track Bar delete threads? People talk about what they did that day to improve their suspension all the time, daily.

That is why a thread like "What did you do to your YJ today?" is absolutely perfect to have stickied to the top of this forum in particular because it cuts the crap out of the rest of the forum.
The "what did I do today" thread gets a fair amount of posts so it probably should be put back as its own stickie. Everyone seems to like the idea of a Chat thread so that should probably stay as is then maybe one more container added for the other non-tech posts.

The reality is that the definition of "tech" is pretty loose. Essentially anything that requires a tool of any kind or sandpaper is tech.

The problem with stickies in general is if there are too many then they are no longer special or receive any extra attention. Plus as I mentioned earlier the entire front page was taken up by stickies at one point leaving room for only about 3-4 regular threads before having to go to page 2.

A few of the mod threads like seats, junkyard mods and wheels and tires have only had a post or two in a month but they are valuable enough in my opinion to have grouped at the top of the page in the Mod super thread.

Lets get some more feedback over the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking this for the stickies, in no particular order

Chat thread
YJ Mods
YJOTM
FAQ
RULES
what I did today

Then maybe one more as a container for the non tech stuff that is YJ specific.

Thoughts.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
Any more feed back on the stickies, or are we good? I'm still thinking we need one more as a place to keep the non-tech YJ specific stuff like the links in the very first post of this thread.

Personally I don't see a need for any more posting areas. If it's YJ tech we have the main forum. If it's YJ related chat, we have a place for that. And if I add one more container we have a final place for non tech stuff that is still somehow related to YJs. If something does not fall into one of those then it really needs to be in General Discussion or at least Wrangler General Discussion.

anyone else want to chime in?

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
I sometimes wonder how many jeeps are running parts that were previously installed on my Yj.
I was wondering how many different vehicle parts I have.

Cadillac alternator
TJ Brake booster and master
Nissan tire carrier
Chevy luv bump stops
GMC tow hooks
Jaguar alternator bracket
Chevy throttle body and injectors (howell kit)
Pontiac seats
Astro van air cleaner
freightliner air horn
vw bug horn
GM hei distributor
Ford transmission cooler
Ford Taurus fan
Ford LTD a/c compressor
Ford rear axle
Ford truck air tank
AMC pacer a/c compressor bracket

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
JB - appreciate the thought, and the thread move, if you did that. Didn't want to be in the wrong spot. Minor running/dependibility mod you'd recommend first?
Just make sure it starts, runs and idles well. Job one for any off roading is to be able to get back home.

tune up, fuel filter, all new fluids, belts, hoses, brakes. The usual stuff.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
Hey jbolty I can't pm you for some reason and I don't mean to jack the thread but I just need a link to your tire carrier build I am trying to figure out everything you did and the size of tubes but I have googled and forum searched for 2 hours now lol so if you can help me out that would be awesome! If you can pm me the link! Or just the size off pipe you used coming out of the bumper! Thank you man!
I never did an actual write up, just pictures.

I think the DOM must be 1 1/4, it's a pretty snug fit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/pathfinder-tire-carrier-1528095/

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
My son has one of those, but his uses four big wheels and goes pretty fast. The wheel also fold up into the body withthe push of a button on the remote, and it becomes amphibious and has a second cannon that shoots water it sucks up. Pretty cool toy.
When it's in the wheels down mode, there's room for four beers and you can deliver them with it. Now that's a smart toy!
It shoots airsoft BB's.
My birthday is coming up.

·
Administrator
21,384 Posts
So about 40 pages or so back, there was talk of the Big Bear GTG in May. Did anyone ever start a thread about it?

environ 40 pages ou plus en arrière, il était question de la Big Bear GTG en mai. Quelqu'un at-il démarrer un thread à ce sujet?

cerca de 40 páginas más o menos atrás, se hablaba de la Osa GTG en mayo. ¿Alguien alguna vez se inicia un hilo al respecto?

約40頁左右回來,有傳言大熊GTG在五月。沒有人曾經啟動一個關於它的線程?

khoảng 40 trang hoặc hơn trở lại, có người nói của Big Bear GTG vào tháng Năm. Có ai bao giờ bắt đầu một thread về nó?
Are you talking about forest fest? As I recall that happens about fathers day weekend. Personally have not been to that one; I got a little frightened of it a few years ago when I looked it up and saw that the runs were all sold out weeks before the event. I'm disappointed in myself for only making two trips to Big Bear this year.

As for other events, I would post in the appropriate local section then link them here if you want. There have been a few chat threads added as stickies in some of the states and more can be created if there's a demand.

Northern California was recently split off as its own area and San Diego has enough traffic to have a separate section. Get busy.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts