Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm not trying to be an *** but do we need cb's? I can poke my head out window and yell.

In all the trail rides I've done, never used my portable cb. I got tired of the wires and magnetic base. I thre the dam thing away.

I imagine some use all these gadgets but I say majority buy stuff to fit the image of a jeeper.......shovel, hilift, winch and the ultimate useless gadget. , the snorkel!
Did you just call a winch useless? I'm kinda wondering what kind of wheeling it is you're doing where you don't need a cb or a winch...

·
Registered
855 Posts
No I did not. Go back and read again. I did not group things with an adjective. The adjective was placed right before snorkel.

There was once a time that I wheeled the nastiest places but good spotters and the xj ensured I did not need a winch.

I now have a ZJ and winch. Used it once... To pull a tree stump.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No I did not. Go back and read again. I did not group things with an adjective. The adjective was placed right before snorkel.

There was once a time that I wheeled the nastiest places but good spotters and the xj ensured I did not need a winch.

I now have a ZJ and winch. Used it once... To pull a tree stump.
I think you should try harder stuff then :laugh:

Sent from somewhere besides my computer

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not trying to be an *** but do we need cb's? I can poke my head out window and yell.

In all the trail rides I've done, never used my portable cb. I got tired of the wires and magnetic base. I thre the dam thing away.

I imagine some use all these gadgets but I say majority buy stuff to fit the image of a jeeper.......shovel, hilift, winch and the ultimate useless gadget. , the snorkel!
We do not all wheel in the same terrain. Take a snorkel, for example. The air intake on a 4.0L XJ/MJ is extremely vulnerable to water ingestion. Hydrolocked engines are not uncommon in areas where you wheel in water often. Although there are numerous ways to correct this issue a snorkel is surely one of them. I do not have a snorkel on my MJ but I did re-route the air intake into the cowl. A hi-lift style jack is invaluable to change the tire while off-road on a lifted vehicle with a flexy suspension. Sure a floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood so that it will lift you high enough works but the hilift is much easier to carry & deploy than carting a 75# jack with you. How often do you wheel in very dense woods where a few turns means you cannot see anyone else? Yelling may work if you have a bunch of spectators but if I am getting it done inside a running & wheeling Jeep and I can hear your screaming you are too close to me. :laugh: If you don't get stuck you are not trying. That may not apply in dry wide open spaces where the rocks provide plenty of traction but throw some real mud-not mud bogging depth but mud that is everywhere- into the mix get more of a challenge. Then throw in the aforementioned trees that prevent anyone from coming around you or maybe even getting in a position to strap you out. Maybe you will change your thinking about that winch... besides there are also a lot more stumps from bigger trees that may need attention around here...:D

Off-roading is not a one-size-fits-all proposition in this huge country of ours.:tea:

My cheap trick? Beadle Straps. They are re-usable zip-tie like things. The are beaded every 1/4 inch or so and they slip through a hole in the end. I use a pair as a cheap way to hold up my disconnects.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are a ton of threads even here on JF. Search "cowl snorkel" or you can wade through a "snorkel" search to find them a well. Here is one example:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-xj-cowl-hummer-snorkel-build-how-1008105/

If you want a more finished look without a bunch of fab you can get a kit from Spectre. They have them for both Renix & HO models. The will run about $150 shipped. They put the intake into the cowl. You can then run a snorkel up off it or not depending on your preference.

RENIX
http://www.jegs.com/...arentProductId=

HO
http://www.jegs.com/...arentProductId=

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
This thread is great! I'll add one that I did this weekend. The top of my steering wheel was cracking and dry so I wrapped it in 50 ft of paracord.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this and have a couple of questions about the mods on page 2 of this thread about the oil catch can with the little filter. what if you didn't use an oil catch can and just used the filter to vent out air and not run it to the airbox again? also with your system do you need the little filter (what is it doing) and could you just use the catch can with no filter in this case? can anyone help me out here I'm interested but these are my questions.

Thanks!

·
3,356 Posts
As it breathes the filter will keep dirt out of the engine. It goes into the airbox for emissions reasons to burn the blow by gasses.

Ron

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this and have a couple of questions about the mods on page 2 of this thread about the oil catch can with the little filter. what if you didn't use an oil catch can and just used the filter to vent out air and not run it to the airbox again? also with your system do you need the little filter (what is it doing) and could you just use the catch can with no filter in this case? can anyone help me out here I'm interested but these are my questions.

Thanks!
hey just wondering if you realize the last post on this thread was from 2014?

401 - 420 of 422 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.