Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member on the forum for awhile now and decided it was time to do my part an add to all the great write ups. I searched the forum for a how to on switching out the YJ column for an XJ tilt column. Everything I found was short an didn't have many pictures. So I decided I would take some pictures of the process and do a short write up. I hope this can help someone else. If there happens to be another write up like this one that I missed, sorry and I guess there will be two now. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way I pulled the column from a 94 XJ so I would assume 91-95 XJ Steering columns are the same.

Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

The above picture is what my steering wheel looked like before the swap. The PO said someone tried to steal the jeep and broke into the column to try to do it. I recently bought a XJ for parts to fuel inject my YJ for $225. I wasn't going to do the fuel injection swap, but thanks to CEvans87 and his build thread full of info I thought I would give it a go. Sorry, for the rabbit trail, let's get back on topic.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Steering wheel Steering part

First step of course is to unhook your battery. You will be be unhooking 5 electrical connections under your dash so you can remove the steering wheel. After that go ahead and remove the trim panel from around your steering wheel. Very easy to do, only need a Phillips head screwdriver.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Rim Automotive exterior

Your next step will be to take out the pinch bolt at the top of your steering shaft.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Gas Rim

There will be 4 bolts that need to be removed on the firewall. The YJ bracket pinches the steering column and holds it to wall. In the picture you can see two of the bolts. There are also two nuts that hold the bottom part of the bracket to the firewall that need to be removed. I didn't need to remove the top bracket at all.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Fixture

Further up the steering column you will see two bolts, one on each side that need to come out. The bolt I am talking about is the one to the far left.

Gas Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine

And to the far right in this picture. Once these bolts are removed the steering wheel will come lose and pull out. I had to tug on it a few times to get it to come up, but it will come.

Window Wood Picture frame Interior design Curtain

Once the column is out and you sit it beside the XJ column you will only notice one difference. The XJ column has a flange on the end that hold the column to the firewall. Just use a grinder and a hammer to get the flange off.

Saw Wood Gas Drill Helmet

With the flange removed. Took about 5 min if that to get it off. I used some rust oleum paint to paint the end of the shaft to avoid any rust forming.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Another difference is in the bracket on the column. The picture above shows the XJ bracket on the left an the YJ bracket on the right. I didn't notice this at first and had to take the wheel back out when I went to install it because the XJ bracket is just a little shorter as seen in the picture. So swap those brackets out before trying to install the column! To put everything back together do the above in reverse.

Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle Steering part

The finished project! Wasn't to hard to do either. Also, the XJ column comes out the same way the YJ column does. It took most of the day to do this because my little princess was "helping" me.

Smile Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

I hope this can help someone. If you have any questions shoot me a message. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dude your shifter nob is so cool, where can I get one? ... LOL ... good right up, I have the tilt wheel in my garage saving it for when I get working on the interior ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shifter nob was on the jeep when i got, so I can't tell ya where it came from. Sorry. Thanks for the positive feedback.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The shifter nob was on the jeep when i got, so I can't tell ya where it came from. Sorry. Thanks for the positive feedback.
I meant the picture with your daughter's head through the hole :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the write up! This is good news to know. I have had mine out once before to overhaul it with no luck it's shot out. looks like I'll be looking at the xj's when I hit the pull a parts in atlanta Saturday. Did all the electrical connections match up? did you have delay wipers? Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrmark i was just about to change my response, I was looking back through the pictures and realized what you were talking about. LOL. She's cute but she talks a lot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lespaul all the connections plugged right in. I did get the intermittent control box from the XJ hooked up but I am pretty sure the box is bad. Only the high and low settings worked. Next trip to the salvage yard and I will grab another one to try out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great write-up man! I might look into doing this since my column seems to be pretty hammered and I haven't found anybody selling parts. I replaced the lower column bearing a few days ago and the shaft that goes through it was still sloppy in the new bearing, so this might be the trick to get decently tight steering without buying a $300+ new column. Thanks man!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did this mod today and the only thing I could add is that, if the XJ has intermittant wipers, when you disconnect the wiring from right underneath the column, take the black box too (it's the controller for the wipers). The other thing is, is if you pull the steering from an automatic to go into a standard, you have to tie up the neutral safety switch so you can lock the key (I used a red hot screwdriverto make a slot in the plastic of the steering wheel and used a ziptie to hold it in the park/neutral position). Other than that, it took under an hour and to buy the new key tumbler for me is $72, so the $45 steering column was a better option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that you posted this quite some time ago, however I just recently picked up an 89 YJ with some column issues and in searching for a replacement am finding them to be pricey. So in looking for alternatives I came across your post and I wanted to say thank you for sharing such a well written, and informative topic.

·
Administrator
21,196 Posts
I know that you posted this quite some time ago, however I just recently picked up an 89 YJ with some column issues and in searching for a replacement am finding them to be pricey. So in looking for alternatives I came across your post and I wanted to say thank you for sharing such a well written, and informative topic.
Column from Gen 1 chevy S-10 or same era Jimmy is a direct bolt in swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jbolty;41400291 Column from Gen 1 chevy S-10 or same era Jimmy is a direct bolt in swap.[/QUOTE said:
Thank you, that's what I have been finding out as well, looks like I'll be looking for one of those instead of an original YJ column, those are some insane prices, but I suppose it's all what you're willing to pay. 🤷
I'm just wondering if the stock YJ steering wheel will work on the S10 column? That's something I have not been able to find out even with the assistance of good ol Mr Google.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Glad you resurrected this post and thanks Mr Boltyy sir for adding a possible donor vehicle. This mod will be in the line up on my YJ build up. I want intermittent wipers, my last YJ had them as well as tilt. I already scored an intermittent box at the JY and bought a new multifunction lever but its a cheap piece of crap. I thought I was buying OEM but ended up with one from the "Help" part section.

So many ideas for mods, so little time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts