Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Jeep end of August 2021 - picked it up for $4700 (that's with tax tags and title, everything), I feel like we got a pretty good deal.

1993 YJ w/ 4.0 L
5 speed Manual

225k miles - engine sounds great and the clutch feels great

minimal rust - nothing I can't take care of pretty easily

Someone started a SOA conversion with a Ford 8.8, but did not finish it. Rear shocks not installed and no lower mounts. The parking brake was just gone. Rear breaks need to be reworked.

The interior looks 30 years old and we are going to give it some love.

This is what it looked like when we first got it.

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tear Down

We started to disassemble most of the interior and the entire rear end. We were looking for major things that needed to be fixed and rust that needed to be repaired. We made a list.

The further we went, the more we decided to do..........isn't that how it always goes? :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some frame repair

ended up dropping the gas tank also because we had to do some "hot work" on the rear frame driver side. The entire shackle mount was almost rusted out. I cut the whole corner out, ordered a piece from Rust Busters, and used it to fabricate the entire rear corner with a shock mount. I think it came out pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some body work

removed the crappy "rock guards" that someone had riveted onto the sides of the Jeep only to find a nice big hole filled with some kind of foam and it went through the corner of the floor board also. That's not going to fly.

Repaired that.......

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear Axle

So we were happy to have a Ford 8.8 (4.10 ratio), but whoever put it in did not finish the job. We wanted to remove the axle to finish the work. Inspect inside the pumpkin, replace the fluids, rebuild the disc brakes and the entire parking brake which was just apparently removed. We also had to weld on new lower shock mounts because apparently the previous owner didn't think rear shocks were needed........lol.

Oh..........and my dad showed up to help us, he visited from out of state for a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raptor liner the interior

Now that the wheels were all back on we could roll it out of the garage and prep the interior for a full Raptor Liner black coating.

We didn't have to do much to the front. We did however replace all the bushings and shackles on all 4 leaf springs. We used boomerang shackles w/ grease zerk fittings. We did the shocks all the way around also. We do have a heavy-duty steering box on the way, but we will install that later on and also do some more engine work with it.

anyway........here are the interior Raptor Liner pictures. We also decided to do the Front grill..........I think it looks pretty awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BLUE Raptor liner the exterior

And now for the Exterior. We prepped and did the entire exterior in Raptor Liner Blue.

Big Blue is now BLUE..........really blue, LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winch, Fenders, interior re-assembly

Now that the painting is done we could start installing new parts and reassembling the interior. We reworked almost every dash component; cleaned and painted all the moldings and replaced all the hardware. New glass and LED bulbs on all the gauges. New security glove box and center console. New stereo and speakers with center speaker box. New shifter plate and boots with custom knobs. New Best Top black denim adjustable front seats and matching rear seats. New seat belts front and back (blue ones). New steering wheel and turn signal control lever.

New Badlands winch and Bushwacker Fenders.

This part was fun.......I love installing new stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waiting on parts

So we ordered a completely new windshield frame and glass assembly because the old one was rusting on the inside pretty bad. We are currently waiting on the Glass. We cannot finish several things until we get the glass and can install the entire windshield frame. Once this comes in we will be able to continue with the roll bar, bikini top, Lightbar, and other goodies.

We are also still waiting on the heavy-duty steering box. When this comes in we plan on doing it along with replacing the radiator, steering pump and hoses, motor fan and clutch, along with the water pump, and housing. Almost all the engine hoses, spark plugs and wires, coil, and distributer will all be replaced.

Until then, here are some final pic of installing the rock sliders/side steps and polishing up the rims to make it look pretty for the final reveal...............before we get her all muddy! :grin2:

I will post more as soon as we get more done!

Attachments

·
Registered YJ User
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final pictures

We finally got the windshield glass and installed some other last items. I know the Jeep will probably never be "done", but for now we are calling it done. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
NICE!!! Love the bluen raptor liner...I just finished mine in all black, inside and out. The stuff will last forever if applied right and you cant beat the price for a full paint job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts