Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a TJ at a wrecking yard that was totaled by the insurance Co, but is still road worthy so the wrecking yard is selling it with a salvage title. It’s blue, but has been rattle canned flat black the black paint is in ruff shape. It looks like it’s in decent shape and I think I could use it as a project jeep. The ignition switch needs to be replaced , but it starts with a screwdriver. They say it runs good and seems to drive good up and down the isles in the yard. They say I can drive it around the yard if I decide I want to buy it. I’m curious about what you all think about it. It must have a lift on it because it has 33” tires on it now. Here’s some pics of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
In you state what are the restrictions on a salvage tittle?

Your comfort and skill level mechianical?
Tools, SCANNER, jack etc, a shop to work in.
Comfort skill level electrical?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure about the restrictions in Nevada on a salvage title.

I’m comfortable wrenching on my own vehicles. My first vehicle was a ‘63 Willys CJ-5. I rebuilt the motor, replaced the stock brakes with drum brakes from a wagoner when they were only full sized. Changed the clutch. When the wiring harness fried I sat in the living room with a chiltons manual, several rolls of wire and some electrical tape and made a new harness.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To buy the salvage titles jeep, replace the ignition switch and put a new top on it I would be up to 8k. I saw a TJ on Craigslist that's a base sport, like the salvaged one, that needs new seat covers and a rear seat. It's listed for $9,800. That makes the the salvage titles one over priced and not worth the effort.

I did see one Craigslist for $25k that has my interest. It's a 2003 tomb raider edition rubicon with 66k original miles. It's #138 of 1000 made.
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/truckee-jeep-wrangler-rubicon/7372309950.html

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Good God, $8k for a salvage title 24 year old TJ? WTF?

Those others aren't a good price either. I get that this is the state of the market today - it's what happens government shuts down production and prints money - but now is not the time to be shopping for cars. Can't do anything about the printed money, but supply will come back. There are a lot of new cars sitting in holding lots waiting for chips while dealerships are empty. It is wreaking havoc on the price of all vehicles, new and used.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good God, $8k for a salvage title 24 year old TJ? WTF?

Those others aren't a good price either. I get that this is the state of the market today - it's what happens government shuts down production and prints money - but now is not the time to be shopping for cars. Can't do anything about the printed money, but supply will come back. There are a lot of new cars sitting in holding lots waiting for chips while dealerships are empty. It is wreaking havoc on the price of all vehicles, new and used.
If that one was $2k I would probably get it, but the more I think about it I'll just wait until something better comes along. I'm not in a hurry to buy so the waiting game is on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Late to the party, but no visible damage and has a salvage title?

It went in the water. Run away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.