Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I'm going to build a proof-of-concept Wrangler pickup using Dinoot fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer parts for the bed and rear wall of the cab. But before I get started on the build, here's the history that led up to this project...

About 6 years ago I built a pickup starting with a 2006 Wrangler. I call it the "Retro Wrangler" because I styled it to be a modern version of the classic Willys pickup:

After finishing the Retro Wrangler, my next project was a CJ pickup, with styling based on the "Gaucho" pickup that was a custom offering by a Jeep dealer in the late 70's.

And then I took the leftover back halves of the two Jeep tubs from those projects and made a Jeep-tub trailer:

Building that trailer involved a significant amount of fabrication work, and I kept thinking there had to be a better way for the average DIY-er to build a trailer to match his Jeep, so I ended up designing and building a fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit.

The fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer was licensed by a company and is now sold under the Dinoot name (www.dinoot.com).

As part of the design project for the trailer tub kit, I also planned that the tub kit could be used as a pickup bed, and the tub end panel could be used as the back wall of a Jeep tub cut to pickup cab length.

So enough of the history...

In this thread I'll be showing how the Dinoot parts work for a Wrangler pickup bed and also for the rear wall of the cab. And since the key dimensions for the tub conversion to a pickup tub are the same across the TJ, YJ and CJ-7 Jeeps, with just some detail differences the modifications I'll describe in this thread can be applied to any of the three models of Jeep.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've done a bunch of pickup concept drawings over the past couple of years using the Dinoot parts, here are two.

One concept I named the Rustler, it starts with a TJ, uses a 6'6" Dinoot Extended trailer tub kit as the bed, a Dinoot trailer tub end panel for the back of the cab, and a CJ front end conversion kit (another of my fiberglass projects).

And this one is similar, it's also based on a TJ, but uses my Jeepster Commando front end conversion kit for the TJ:

Of course you could build one with a stock TJ front end too :).

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Sub'd; and a solid vote for the Commando front end!

(howdy Jeff) :wave:

Hoss

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sub'd; and a solid vote for the Commando front end!

(howdy Jeff) :wave:

Hoss
I'm pretty sure the Commando kit will be my favorite too, but I've got at least 4 different sets of front end "sheet metal" to test fit and see how they look. ("sheet metal" is in quotes because some of them are actually fiberglass).

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Signing up for the show.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff, you are an incredible craftsman with ideas that are as impressive as your skills. With that being said.....Do you ever rest?
Thank you.

I'll rest next week while I'm driving to Colorado to do some off-roading :).

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some of the parts I've got on hand for the project.

A complete tub and a half cab hardtop:

A Dinoot Extended fiberglass tub kit, plus an extra Dinoot end panel to serve as the back of the pickup cab tub:

The Dinoot kits come in two lengths - 53" and 6'6", so several different pickup lengths could be possible using unmodified Dinoot parts. The Dinoot parts are also easily modified to whatever length is desired. The kit above is the 6'6" Dinoot Extended.

A frame:

A bunch of different "sheet metal", including a complete TJ front clip and grille, a CJ Grille Kit for the TJ, and a Wrangler Hurst Commando conversion kit:

And several sets of fenders, including my new fiberglass flat fenders:

It'll be fun to mix and match the various parts to see what we can come up with :).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The stuff you pull off is amazing, but one day you should just pick up a camera and walk us through your shop, because it looks pretty amazing, too.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The stuff you pull off is amazing, but one day you should just pick up a camera and walk us through your shop, because it looks pretty amazing, too.
Maybe I'll do that after this project is over, but my workshop is pretty much an average home woodworker shop - the main stationary tools are a table saw, miter saw, drill press, a few sanders. The only "special" things I have that I use for these projects is a WWII-vintage metal cutting band saw, a 180-amp Hobart MIG welder, a decent-capacity compressor, and a metal bending brake that I made myself out of scrap steel. There are a few more things, but those are the main tools I rely on. I've got a decent collection of quality hand tools and quality hand power tools too, almost no Harbor Freight tools :).

When I design projects, for example the Dinoot tub kits and the TrailTop system camper/trailer topper fiberglass parts, I always design them with basic DIY tools in mind, so the average person could assemble them. Sometimes you can't get away from needing to weld something, but other than that my designs are usually aimed at a DIY audience.

And sometimes a project is a good reason to buy a tool - I bought the welder and learned to weld so I could build the Retro Wrangler. I got my sewing machine and learned to sew so I could make the TrailTop tilt-up camper prototype. Both tools cost far less than it would have cost me to have the work done professionally ;).

1 - 20 of 238 Posts