Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the "best mod" thread, lets do one with mods that we regretted later!

The one mod I regretted the most was when I was running a shackle lift. It gave me a little extra height, but I suffered when it came to my approach/departure angle...

Dan

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
2" shackle lift. It was on for about a day.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Rear tube bumper...

this was the last picture with it still attached, it came off being tugged from a high center in a frozen snowbank... 2 minutes later :rolleyes: pic from a few years ago

·
Registered
136 Posts
I regret buying new all terrains instead of a mud tire, could use the mud tire more than I thought.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
When I first bought my jeep it had 31" tire from the pervious owner. I wanted to get a little more lift to take it off road. So, I bought some 6.5" eye-to-eye shackles. It killed my caster and made my jeep wander on the highway. Even bought a 3.5" lift kit and kept those stupid things. Then, I went SOA and still kept those stupid things, until I ripped the shackle mounts apart on the trail. Final got rid of those rock hangers by going shackle reversal with tiny front leaf mount and the shackle through the frame.

Mine other regret is not getting a HP44 with a pass. side drop. Instead I put in a low pinion waggy front D44 with a driver side drop.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Done by PO but it was lift shackles in front.

Seems to be a common thread here...

·
Registered
432 Posts
2 10 inch subs and an amp. Took only a month to get stolen

·
Registered
106 Posts
Only regret i have thus far is BFG AT's. They are great a great all around tire for on road and offroad. However, on slippery hill climbs and slippery rocks, they just don't get the job done.

Even though the jeep is my DD, my next set of tires with be a MT.

·
Electric Chair Operator
14,709 Posts
Worse mod EVER was regearing & locking a D35C. :brickwall: My wife at the time (now exwife :banana: :D ) didn't want me to spend the extra $ to swap out the rear axle & put something more suitable in it.

Why did I listen to her?? Because at the time she had 1/2 the $ & all the beaver! :rofl: ;) :D

Since then, that POS rear axle left my Jeep & an 8.8 was installed. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jesse-James said:
Windshield frame mounted light bar, wheeled with it one time and hit every tree branch in the park. Plus it whistles like hell with no top on going down the road.

For Sale, light bar almost new fresh black powder coat.:laugh:
relly how much i know thats:OffTopic: just curious

my worst was a the po had a cd changer in it so sombody slashed the window to get the damn thing and it took me hours to get the radio working again its a pain to work under that dash

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dana 35 axle with 4.10's that I bought for$80 bucks. I wanted 4.10's, well anyways I've been stuck in 2wd for a long time and it's driving me completely crazy. AHHHH I need to go mudding. BTW I'm trying to regear my front axle and it's a total ***** without a bearing puller and a press.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
yarosig said:
Dana 35 axle with 4.10's that I bought for$80 bucks. I wanted 4.10's, well anyways I've been stuck in 2wd for a long time and it's driving me completely crazy. AHHHH I need to go mudding. BTW I'm trying to regear my front axle and it's a total ***** without a bearing puller and a press.
No help on getting the bearings off, but I read on JU of some guy that uses a deep fryer with gear oil or some such in it to heat up the bearings so they'll slip on.

Biggest regret I have for mine is the 15x10 rims, wish I woulda gone for 8" wide rims aesthetically. I recently did a 4.0 swap that completely breathed new life into my jeep, I absolutely love it. It makes the effort/money that was put into the previous mc2100/hei setup kind of a waste but it was also a necessary evolutionary learning step I guess - I wasn't ready to jump straight from the carter to an engine swap at the time.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I haven't done many mods to mine yet, and I don't have much of a horror story.

Worst mod so far: Removing the license plate carrier, and putting the plate directly on the tub, bent around the side of the jeep a bit. I got pulled over for it, and told that I could be fined $400 or so for it, so I bent it back and put the carrier back on. :)

I was lucky the cop was in a good mood, he let me off with a warning.

edit: I know this is YJ thread, but I found it interesting, so I had to post. :)

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
2" Shackle lift. and wasteing my money on buying and installing a Rough Country lift kit. thankfully I have ditched both of those mods long ago. I still think the Rough Country lift was the single worst mod I ever did

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.