Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WK rear lift 3.5'' | with FOX 985-24-184 rear shocks Wrangler JL ?

265 11
Hi,
does rear shocks of Wrangler JL fits in a 3.5'' or 4'' lifted Grand Cherokee WK ?

E.g. the FOX 985-24-184
According to the specs sheet, compressed & extened length should be fit for a lifted WK.
  • Product Compressed Length: 17.35
  • Product Extended Length: 28.95
  • Product Travel: 11.60
Not shure about the mounts. Both are eyelet-mounts, but maybe with too much size difference. Or maybe it will fit with some modifications.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hi,
does rear shocks of Wrangler JL fits in a 3.5'' or 4'' lifted Grand Cherokee WK ?

E.g. the FOX 985-24-184
According to the specs sheet, compressed & extened length should be fit for a lifted WK.
  • Product Compressed Length: 17.35
  • Product Extended Length: 28.95
  • Product Travel: 11.60
Not shure about the mounts. Both are eyelet-mounts, but maybe with too much size difference. Or maybe it will fit with some modifications.
Currently I'm runningt the WK with the Bilstein 33-225807 (Bilstein B8 5100) and OME 2992 and this fit perfectly. But just for an 2'' lift.

For an 3 or 4'' lift I need longer shocks. There are some guys they are running the Bilsteins from a Ford F-150 without any kind of issues.

But if there is a possibility I want to get those FOX 985-24-184 from the Wrangler JL. The compression and extension sizes are perfect, just need to know if the Eyelets have the same diameter as the above mentioned Bilsteins.

· Registered
96 Posts
I'm using Bilstein 33-186009 (Bilstein B8 5100 for F150) and SuperLift 4" rear springs. Those Bilstein shocks are 16.69" collapsed and 27.11" extended.

The Fox shocks you posted look to be in the right ballpark, but like you said, you might need to do something clever with spacers or brackets.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm using Bilstein 33-186009 (Bilstein B8 5100 for F150) and SuperLift 4" rear springs. Those Bilstein shocks are 16.69" collapsed and 27.11" extended.

The Fox shocks you posted look to be in the right ballpark, but like you said, you might need to do something clever with spacers or brackets.
for the rear lift (planing to go to 3.5**) I already ordered
Also I want to order the Tom Woods driver shafts for front and rear with double cardan, Product Result

But right now I am still not really sure, which shock I should choose
  • ICON 87705CP - very expensive, but they are in stock at my dealer in Lima/Peru
  • FOX 985-24-184 - Not shure about the fitting of the Eyelets.
  • Bilstein 33-186009 (B8 5100) I know that they have a very good price match for what you get and are good for much more than 50.000 miles
My rear axle needs definitiv a higher lift, see photos

Attachments

· Registered
1,066 Posts
I would assume that is a JK bumper.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

What kind of SuperLift 4" rear springs did you exactly took ?

And can you please share your front and rear size from center of wheel to underside of fender flare ?

thanks & best

· Registered
1,066 Posts
nope :)

it's custom sized for my Jeep, it's unique, hand crafted made in Lima/Peru. I have specified to them that design.

Bumpers 4x4 Carabayllo, 15318 Lima, Peru. They are on Facebook. They are doing great custom works.
I was meaning the front bumper. It doesn't meet the contours of the grill or lights as I would hope for a custom made bumper.

· Registered
96 Posts
What @Kolak said. I bought them from someone who bought the lift before it was discontinued, and had plans to use a 6" spring. I helped them find a set of 6" JBA coils, so we traded unicorns.

They provide about the same lift as my previous setup, which was OME HD with a spacer, right around 23" hub to fender in the rear. I keep my front at 22.5", if you go higher the 5100's will top out excessively and you won't be able to get your camber in range. To get to 22.5" my preload is somewhere between the first and second setting (using the coilover sleeve).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was meaning the front bumper. It doesn't meet the contours of the grill or lights as I would hope for a custom made bumper.
same with the front bumper. They are also custom hand made at Bumpers 4x4 in Lima/Peru. I have also specified that design. I got some videos from Bumpers 4x4, where they filmed their work on it.

Furthermore the roof rack and the skidplate are custom made by them.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What @Kolak said. I bought them from someone who bought the lift before it was discontinued, and had plans to use a 6" spring. I helped them find a set of 6" JBA coils, so we traded unicorns.

They provide about the same lift as my previous setup, which was OME HD with a spacer, right around 23" hub to fender in the rear. I keep my front at 22.5", if you go higher the 5100's will top out excessively and you won't be able to get your camber in range. To get to 22.5" my preload is somewhere between the first and second setting (using the coilover sleeve).
I'm also at 22,5'' at front axle. Maybe I will go down to 22'' with the same JeePerfs coilovers sleeves.

It was not an easy desicion for me, but finally I ordered at my dealer in Lima the Bilstein 25-255003 (B8 5160 Ford F-150 2009-2013) for the rear.
They have the same mount and eyelet like the Bilstein 33-225807 (B8 5100 Jepp WK 2005-2010). But they are longer and with remote reservoir.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts