Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 GC Hemi Limited w 140K mi., 6-7 month ago had full drivetrain fluid change at 135K, along with 16 new plugs, all done at the local Stealer, mostly so it would show in the maintenance history report, but also they were actually the best price quote on everything, go figure. Runs like it should, which is to say fairly beastly at 12 mpg city/16.7 mpg highway. (Trailer Pack- 3:73 RA gear). Always been dry underneath, except when trans cooler lines rotted and were replaced$. I visit Fam 6 hrs away and at my age I've learned to wait for a "Front Door" instead of leading the pack, and sure enough there's always some madman out there in a hurry LOL. Well hell, seems 80 MPH is easy average, but when I catch a lunatic running above 90, I like to let the Hemi "Breath a Little" while watching my guages and monitoring tire pressures. Keeps me alert too, and well I just like to Represent the Brand if you know what I mean. (BTW, BIL reminds me that tire speed ratings become important with duration). It's definitely 2 hands on the wheel kind of stuff, but I digress.. So after my latest run, I hear exhaust sounds, and checking the 3 month new muffler, find seam blown out, which shop says backfire related, and courtesy replaced under warranty (There IS a God lol). But I never heard a backfire of such magnitude, or any at all. Full disclosure: If Metallica or even Blake Shelton "Gods Country", etc comes on the radio, well the OEM "6 Boston Acoustic Speakers" get played at pain level, so there's that. Again, I digress... While underneath, I see wetness where the axle exits the transfer case (driver side), with a drip showing. Question becomes, could these 2 issues be speed related, specifically the trans issue, maybe from heat build up there, as mentioned in other threads on this forum? Also, how do I know fluid level in the transfer case? Forgive my ignorance here, is it common with, and shows on the tranny dipstick? I feel a trip to the Stealer coming on to address this, but maybe it'll just go away? Now I am ROFL.. thanks for reading- H

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok never mind. I guess I asked too many questions at once. Just thought someone might give opinion on leaks developing after fluid changes, etc. etc. I guess it’s off to the Stealer

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,017 Posts
You asked your questions in the wrong location, this is a generic drivetrain forum, you would have had much better luck to post in the WK (Grand Cherokee) specific forum since your questions were specific to a certain model.

WK Sub Forum

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't/didn't think QT2 QD2 and Hemi were exclusive to GC or WK but maybe I'm wrong. Generic drive train guys don't necessarily look in the WK forum, dunno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts