Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WK 2010 3.7 Laredo Quadra-Trac I - Front Lift 4 inch - Going with Nitro Gear Axle Shafts ?

561 10
Hi,
with the Bilstein B8 5100 (lowest setting) and OME 2990, now I have on the front almost 4 inch lift.
Normally I should expect Bilstein +0.75'' as well as OME + 2''. So finally all in all it should be come up to 2.75'.
However, as far as I have red somewhere else, the lift information at OME is related to the V8 engine. The V6 is lighter and so for now it come up to around 4''.

JBK upper control arms (front) are already installed. Adjustable sway bar links (front and rear), steering upgrade, control arms and track-bar (rear) are already ordered.

The mechanics on site (living in Lima/Peru) tell me that the angles of the Axel-Shaft are OK and I do not need a diff drop kit or nitro gear axle shafts (see photo).

How do you see this (please check photos) ? Do you have any kind of recommendations ?

Thanks & best
Horst

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
The v6 petrol / gas may be lighter but I put two inch spacers on my 06 Uk 3.0crd diesel GC and it was just over 4 inches . The driveshaft angle was extreme so I removed them.
Reading up online a few owners report getting double what they intend to get due to the independent front suspension working angles.
I tried to chop down a two inch spacer and shorten it to an inch but then you get issues with not being able to fit them to the strut due to the nuts not fitting in the gap you are left with, hindsight could maybe have welded them to mount.
Your driveshaft angle seems to look ok to me , mine was extreme in that if I jacked up vehicle the drive shaft bottomed out before even the tyre had left the ground.
Sway bar links I would use stock and cut and weld a threaded section in to get required length , way cheaper option.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The v6 petrol / gas may be lighter but I put two inch spacers on my 06 Uk 3.0crd diesel GC and it was just over 4 inches . The driveshaft angle was extreme so I removed them.
Reading up online a few owners report getting double what they intend to get due to the independent front suspension working angles.
I tried to chop down a two inch spacer and shorten it to an inch but then you get issues with not being able to fit them to the strut due to the nuts not fitting in the gap you are left with, hindsight could maybe have welded them to mount.
Your driveshaft angle seems to look ok to me , mine was extreme in that if I jacked up vehicle the drive shaft bottomed out before even the tyre had left the ground.
Sway bar links I would use stock and cut and weld a threaded section in to get required length , way cheaper option.
Hi,
thanks for your response and your hint.
best
Horst

· Registered
96 Posts
The 5100 struts add preload to whatever springs you place over them.

The amount of lift provided by strut/spring assembly with each setting is a function of the spring rate, if you use a spring that's stiffer than the factory one, then you will get more lift with the same amount of preload. Below are the spring rates.

Factory front spring rate - 400 lb
OME 2990 - 530 lb
OME 2991 - 630 lb

Right now I'm running OME 2990 springs, and the equivalent of something between the 1st and 2nd setting on the Bilstein 5100 struts (using a Jeeperf coilover sleeve). I have the 4.7L engine, and JBA arms. I ended up getting the RCV shafts after getting tired of messing with (mostly driver) shaft changes. The RCV shafts inspire confidence, I haven't had a CV joint or shaft failure. That said it's not like putting them in will result in the CVs being a zero maintenance item. I still have to replace busted boots, use their special grease, etc. It is also my understanding that they are discontinued, at least as a mass market item. RCV does a lot of custom work, so I imagine you might be able to have them custom made.

Whether they are "needed" is somewhat subjective. The OEM CV shafts will wear faster with more lift. Aftermarket replacements will be even worse. You can get a lot of OEM / aftermarket axle shafts for the cost of the RCVs, and maybe even get replacements under warranty. If you don't want to be changing CVs on the trail, then RCVs might be a justified investment. You'll still need to service them, though.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

The amount of lift provided by strut/spring assembly with each setting is a function of the spring rate, if you use a spring that's stiffer than the factory one, then you will get more lift with the same amount of preload. Below are the spring rates.

OME 2990 - 530 lb
OME 2991 - 630 lb

Right now I'm running OME 2990 springs, and the equivalent of something between the 1st and 2nd setting on the Bilstein 5100 struts (using a Jeeperf coilover sleeve). I have the 4.7L engine, and JBA arms. I ended up getting the RCV shafts after getting tired of messing with (mostly driver) shaft changes. The RCV shafts inspire confidence, I haven't had a CV joint or shaft failure. That said it's not like putting them in will result in the CVs being a zero maintenance item. I still have to replace busted boots, use their special grease, etc. It is also my understanding that they are discontinued, at least as a mass market item. RCV does a lot of custom work, so I imagine you might be able to have them custom made.

Whether they are "needed" is somewhat subjective. The OEM CV shafts will wear faster with more lift. Aftermarket replacements will be even worse. You can get a lot of OEM / aftermarket axle shafts for the cost of the RCVs, and maybe even get replacements under warranty. If you don't want to be changing CVs on the trail, then RCVs might be a justified investment. You'll still need to service them, though.
Thanks for your response and explainations.

That's the point. The RCV are discontinued. And it seems that the Nitro Gears are also discontinued, some seller offered me the cv shafts with a waiting time of 2 month, I agreed but finally they didn't proceed the process. If you know some seller, please inform me :)

First I went with the Bilsteins at max. height and the stock springs. That was ok, but after installing the winch and the iron bumper, the front was going down about a bit more than one inch.

Meanwhile I ordered from Jeeperf the "Bilstein 5100 Coilover Conversion Kit" Bilstein 5100 Coilover Conversion Kit | JeePerf
My plan is to take down the Bilstein factory minimum lift height of 0.75'' down to 0.25'' or 0'', to make the drive softer and also to set the angles of the cv axle shafts in a bit better condition.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

OME 2990 - 530 lb
OME 2991 - 630 lb

I also tried to get directly in touch with Nitro Gear, they diddn't answered :(

But yeah, thanks for your hint. I will check RCV, maybe there will be a possibility. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating to get real good after market items for the WK. Even the King shocks are discontinued.

What is your current lift front & rear ?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

OME 2990 - 530 lb
OME 2991 - 630 lb

I got today the response from RCV:

Unfortunately, we would not ne able to produce this axle as custom without a large order of 30 or more kits.

Best Regards,
Dillon

RCV Performance Customer Support

RCV Performance Products
1500 11th Avenue
Rockford, IL 61104
Ph: 815.877.7473 | Fx: 815.965.4857
[email protected]

What a pitty: I don't know, but I am really thinking to start a campain to find some idiots like me, to realize this order. I would take 2x sets (so that I would have one as spare part)
What do you think about it ?

· Registered
1,066 Posts
You would pay $4,000+ for CV axles?

· Registered
96 Posts
The next best thing would be to find a company that can make 29 spline chromoly shafts, then combine them with Mopar inner and outer CVs and EMPI boots. I imagine it would be a lot more affordable. The Kendra Schmitt build thread mentions doing exactly this, sourcing the shafts from CVJ Axles in Colorado. He did it in order to get +2" shafts for the MT/LT suspension he fabricated for his wife's WK.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The next best thing would be to find a company that can make 29 spline chromoly shafts, then combine them with Mopar inner and outer CVs and EMPI boots. I imagine it would be a lot more affordable. The Kendra Schmitt build thread mentions doing exactly this, sourcing the shafts from CVJ Axles in Colorado. He did it in order to get +2" shafts for the MT/LT suspension he fabricated for his wife's WK.
thanks. I will think about it and will give you a feedback ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts