Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new guy here. Wanted to see if any WJ owners have used the heim joint rear upper control arm from Rusty's Off Road. I have a 99WJ with 4in lift. Thanks for any info out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at that one also. it still has the rubber bushings on each side but still might be better than the factory set up with the center ball joint. I was curious if anyone had used the all heim joint set up.
I took a closer look at the Iron Rock and see its not rubber bushings. So, do you have this on your jeep and if so how long. Just did an out of state move and had to listen the clunking for a 1000 miles. Bushing are shot and thought I might to a upgrade on the setup. I'm not settled in to the new place yet so just checking into this when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I was running a no name one that was a disaster. I swapped to a Rough Country Aarm and after six months I remain impressed. 4” lift here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I looked at that one also. it still has the rubber bushings on each side but still might be better than the factory set up with the center ball joint. I was curious if anyone had used the all heim joint set up.
Yes, but if you look closer you will see the option to upgrade to Flex Joints.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If your concern is ride quality heims are not the way to go. I don't have the IRO kit I eventually go 4link in the rear when I do my axle swap. Are you trying to put heims in the upper mount that attaches to the body?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bushings and ball joint are needing replaced, I seen a aftermarket heim joint replacement arm and was curious if this was an improvement over factory setup or if was creating other problems (which I've encountered in the past). I have lots of years in old school jeeps with stacked leaf springs for ride quality to be an issue.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the IRO rear upper A arm with Heim joints as well as the rest of my control arms from IRO. All have Heim joints. Ride quality is great, however, the ride noise is much greater than stock as you will be eliminating a lot of sound isolating rubber in your suspension. I have been running this configuration for 4 years plus and have had no suspension issues. Off road performance and flex is quite good.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Heim style joints are great for articulation but not for the street. If you go that route, get Marine grade red grease and grease them often like I do on my rock crawler that is four linked front and rear.
A kit with poly bushings would be the thing to get. Grease those good before you put them in and tighten the bolts as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts