Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ill take better pix as i go from here, so far all i have done is mount it at the hinge.
still need to
mount the latch to gate
brace upper hinge mount inside body, only skin holding for now for measurements and fitment
get it all mounted, working and tire mounted, then remove for paint on brackets and carrier

not liking the grinding i did to the tail light so ill do more to the lower hinge mount and get another tail light from scrap yard so that it will fit unmodified. (took less than 1/4" off the bottom edge of tail light and some grinding on bottom mount for fitment)

so far im really liking the zr2 carrier i got for only $20 with latch and all

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is the best looking WJ tire carrier solution I have seen, the finished pics you added to another thread make it look even better, awesome work man!
thanks man, tried to start my own thread on here but it would not post, honestly if it would have i would have taken the extra time to video and photo the build process more but oh well. there is a possibility ill be doing this again very soon for someone else. best part of that it will come out a bit better than mine did now that the trial and error is over. personally i love this thing, no road noise at all not even on rough roads or wheeling. rock solid, looks good, ez to use, and i get my cargo space back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like this. Any info on what year truck this came from or how your second attempt went?

Did you do any interior bracing on the hinge side?

There are a couple pictures where I can't tell what I'm looking at so maybe you've shown it...
sold that jeep years ago lol. Not long after posting that. Yes i used 1/2" plate on the back side that i shaped to fit the inside of the body. Curves and all. Then drilled and threaded the plate for the bolts. There is no way to hold a nut on the back side with out cutting a lot of interior body work out of the way. So i went with thick enough metal for the back side that it could double as the nut as well. Then used a very good magnet to hold the inside in place while i bolted everything together.

second attempt went great. Used a milling bit in my drill press with the speed as fast as it could go. Made clearance in the lower hinge bracket/mount to clear the unmodified tail light. Just makes getting the tail out out a little tricky (gotta wiggle it just right).

I still see that jeep from time to time in the Houston Tx area. Tire carrier still holding up and working as nice as the day i finished it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.