Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WJ enthusiasts,
Just replaced my failed electric fuel pump with a new one and I have a constant howl coming from the pump ( just loud enough to keep a gear head from thinking). Has anyone had this same issue? Any fixes?

I appreciate any feed back

Jesaire

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you replace the filter too? Get under there and put your hand on the filter. I have a. 04 4.0. I got a mopar filter due to a long crank as the check valve in the filter failed and it made a horrendous howl immediately after replacement. It superseded to a new part number, which was much cheaper, I wonder why. I warrantied it twice and had the same howl. It got quieter the more throttle I gave it. I assume it’s the pressure regulator in the filter. I tried all kinds of things like securing to the bracket with hose clamps, wrapping it with foam and butyl tape, nothing worked. I worked at the dealer and decided to get with tech support as if it were a customers car and they basically said yea we have been having a rash of these have a nice day. Thanks guys that are supposed to help us figure out problems. I guess it’s too old of a vehicle and not enough filters are being sold for them to remedy this issue. I tried finding a new filter with the old original part number but no luck. Finally I got a duralast and it was quieter and seemed to have gone away as it wore in over the past 5 years, but I still hear it from time to time. Never touching the filter again. And 5 years later I see that it’s still the same part number.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I worked at the dealer and decided to get with tech support as if it were a customers car and they basically said yea we have been having a rash of these have a nice day.
Standard. lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All thanks for the advice . Sorry for the late reply but I drove it in to town stutter in an intersection. I was able to get it off the road but once I recranked her the noise went away. I am am thinking vapor loc or air bubbles. Been working great.

Again Thanks for the feedback

Jesaire55

·
Registered
146 Posts
The issue isn't uncommon. Source of manufacture or where purchased irrelevant. It's no doubt you Filter/pump. A rare case where throwing parts at the problem works. In my case a $15 O'Reilly's special worked where the WIX and Delco failed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts