Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WipeBoy Wiper Kit: Is it worth it?

12547 Views 58 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Boojo35
I need new wiper blades and arms (Springs are shot, arms are tweaked, and rusty)
Should I get the wiperboy kit? How much more travel does it give the wipers?

Would you recommend it?
http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?ACTION=THISPAGE&THISPAGE=psdbi/WB-LMBSC.html&ORDER_ID=1807393902

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
310 Posts
Thanks for getting back with the results. So in your opinion, not really worth it? What about fabbing something similar that would be cheaper? TIA

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No problem sorry it wasn't sooner.
Correct, in my opinion it's not worth it.

Certainly! Cut and weld the motor arm to make longer (.1"-.2" should be about right, really depends on component wear) and shave away the bump stops in the window frame. May work, may cause horrific binding and headaches. I do not know. I don't have time right now to figure it out, they work now, that is all that matters to me.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Fish, to be fair, when people on here modify every aspect of their YJs, the windshield wipers aren't what make a Jeep a Jeep.

Round eye YJs.
Completely different suspensions
Custom fenders, cages, everything else

Just not sure wipers are the hill to defend lol.

On the other hand, the title sounded like a potty training helper device of some sort.

· Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,719 Posts
Wipeboy is still a thing? I figured whoever owned a YJ and was gonna get the kit would have got it by now, and whoever did not get it - wouldn't by now and beyond. And as such, lack of demand would tank them in the YJ market. I'm out of touch.

Yeah, I don't see myself firing up the YJ at this stage and think to myself, "you know, I should really do something about those wipers". Lol

Anyone?

· Premium Member
11,894 Posts
windshield wipers aren't what make a Jeep a Jeep.
The grill, the windshield, the sparse interior, the 1940s mil-look body…the windshield wipers. Classic jeep.
Quintessential design. Spartan interiors.
It’s a jeep thing. A real jeep thing.

those are exactly what makes a jeep a jeep

laydown windshield wipers?!
silly stuff

like mudflaps, electric windows, and angrille eyes- they unjeep the thing and make it a car.
These people worry and fuss over the windshield wipers and then mount a D8-sized high lift jack right in their line of site complete with chrome plating and zombie ‘salt life’ stickers. And their status symbol jack obscuring the speed bumps at the mall doesn't bother their wannabe ego in the slightest?

Two things jeep get me wound up. Saying a jeep is undependable or poorly designed, and ocd windshield wiper worry fixers.

· Registered
7 Posts
The grill, the windshield, the sparse interior, the 1940s mil-look body…the windshield wipers. Classic jeep.

silly stuff

like mudflaps, electric windows, and angrille eyes- they unjeep the thing and make it a car.
These people worry and fuss over the windshield wipers and then mount a D8-sized high lift jack right in their line of site complete with chrome plating and zombie ‘salt life’ stickers. And their status symbol jack obscuring the speed bumps at the mall doesn't bother their wannabe ego in the slightest?

Two things jeep get me wound up. Saying a jeep is undependable or poorly designed, and ocd windshield wiper worry fixers.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Me, I hate the chrome grille that came with my YJ (stock). I will be removing it. Hate the chrome bumperettes and replaced them. Hate the front chrome flat bumper bar and am replacing it. Hate the wipers as my eyes fixate on them when driving, so I will likely replace them. Simple enough, and I'll be making my Jeep more like my Jeep. Love the simplicity of the rig and there's a lot I'm preserving, especially the spartan interior. I don't call other people's opinion's "silly" or call other Jeep lovers "wannabes", as that sort of gatekeeping can scare others away from a life of Jeep fun.

Jeeps are like legos, take em apart and rebuild em how you want.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I don't think it's a bad

silly stuff

Just because you brought up "Salt Life" and I live in FL, lol

Nose Hair Skin Eyebrow Eye

I don't have a Salt Life sticker, and don't know anything about Tom Brady, lol, but it is funny!!

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Me, I hate the chrome grille that came with my YJ (stock). I will be removing it. Hate the chrome bumperettes and replaced them. Hate the front chrome flat bumper bar and am replacing it. Hate the wipers as my eyes fixate on them when driving, so I will likely replace them. Simple enough, and I'll be making my Jeep more like my Jeep. Love the simplicity of the rig and there's a lot I'm preserving, especially the spartan interior. I don't call other people's opinion's "silly" or call other Jeep lovers "wannabes", as that sort of gatekeeping can scare others away from a life of Jeep fun.

Jeeps are like legos, take em apart and rebuild em how you want.
I don't like Chrome, never have, even on my Motorcycles- mostly Rat Rod and Cafe Racer. But before you ditch the chrome, you could sand it with 3M pads with some oil, I used Ballistol. Just a suggestion, from a guy that never really does the "norm", lol.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Gas
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Fixture Vehicle door
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

You can get a brushed SS look. The rear bumper is a cheapy, EAS? Forgot the company's name. And I had a fabricator make a cladding for it. I personally love this look, but again, I'm kinda creative, like the Modern Look, blingy and industrial all at the same time, lol. It isn't for everyone.

I understand the wiper thing, in FL it rains alot, some more vision would be nice, but it also doesn't bother me that much. For $90? Meh, maybe one day I'll get bored and give it a shot, but it doesn't blow my socks off with excitement, lol.

· Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Ok. I love that my wipers park in the "middle" of the windshield
Fish, to be fair, when people on here modify every aspect of their YJs, the windshield wipers aren't what make a Jeep a Jeep.

Round eye YJs.
Completely different suspensions
Custom fenders, cages, everything else

Just not sure wipers are the hill to defend lol.

On the other hand, the title sounded like a potty training helper device of some sort.
I really love this post. Fish himself turned a YJ into a round eye. Yes it is a CJ clip so it is downright respectable in my eyes but yet some guys look at CJ clipping a YJ as blasphemy towards the God of the Wranglers.

I love that my YJ wipers are parked in sight, an obstruction to me as I drive, blah blah blah. What I do hate, it that on a really snowy day where snow gathers on the windshield in ANY kind of vehicle, the amount of snow that gathers on the left side of the windshield, especially down low. This creates a huge blind spot for my 5'5" little butt. It quite honestly is a safety concern.

I love and hate some Jeep mods. Some directions that guys take with them. I will admit it that I hate when somebody takes a Jeep or any other classic that is in really good condition, intact, and original enough to be a piece of history and cuts and mods the hell out of it. If it is really incomplete or worn enough then it is an open canvas IMO. But that is only my opinion.

I really believe that most people draw the line at their own feet. The line in the sand for them is where their own toes stop and are close to teetering over the edge. Anybody on their side and of their opinion are ok. Anybody who even barely crossed the line is not ok. The world is dominated by such folks. People cannot accept somebody with a different vision, taste, or opinion..... Whoa....... I better slow down here because I am starting to sound like I support people who cannot accept what bathroom that they belong in.... you belong in the bathroom that God gave you the parts to be in...... Sorry for the side track. At least it was a side track in my own mind.

Anyways. Folks who mod Jeeps seem to be a part of "the community". You have to admit. The Jeep community is large and powerful. It sucks more money out of pockets and dedication of time than the worst of addictions can. It can wreck a home, a marriage, a bank account. Loving a Jeep is a sickness. We all do not have to be on the same page or we all would have chrome grilles for instance.

I know that I rag on many mods. Especially JK and JL folks. TJs, JKs, and JLs are really still Jeeps. Do they look like a duck? Then they are still a duck? Did the 80s CJ look like a Cj2a? Did the YJ look like a CJ? But yet those two can still seem to be pure in some folks eyes. Even a TJ can still look pure to some. I am sure that some old willies guys think that our YJs ruined the Jeep name.

It really comes down to taste, when you were born, maybe, and what drew you to a Jeep.

I personally love the community of true Jeep people. Sure, I love YJs and older the most. But I am realistic. If technology did not advance in the Wrangler (yes, I do not like JLs for a lot of reasons and do not like some JK things, even TJ things.) but the Jeep wrangler WWII resembling vehicle lives on. It is cool. Tell me another vehicle that still resembles its 1940 body style. I do not think that there is one... The cool thing about that fact is that there is probably no other vehicle community that has had more time to grow and gain members. The silly mods, new bodies, new tech to keep the line alive has only grown the community.

Really. Many other car lines have re introduced a retro vehicle.... All Wranglers, CJs..... they are all retro...... Think about it.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Have had em on my CJ for quite a few yrs. I really like them. Easy install, no mods, no looking around them.

Better line of sight, cleaner look

buying too many parts for too many Jeeps

· Premium Member
11,894 Posts
will admit it that I hate when somebody takes a Jeep or any other classic that is in really good condition, intact, and original enough to be a piece of history and cuts and mods
Like the issue Ferrari had with the fake Miami Vice tv show’s 365 GTS with the wrong wheel openings and missing intricate styling cues- because it wasn’t a good replica of what was Ferrari- the essential elements of ‘Jeep’ include the windshield wipers to such a degree that even ‘toys’ like hot wheels often included an etching to suggest the wipers….. it’s like if harley started making tall pansy-butt in-line 4-cylinder cruisers!
And fixating on the wipers is mental; you can choose what to see. How often does a driver panic over a phone pole, sign on the side of the road, or a 4500-series delivery truck in front of you in traffic? The wipers are a non-issue that only bothers people who think the quirky stuff in old vehicles, camps, houses are ‘defects’ to be corrected. And ever sit in a race car? The window net, windshield brace, roll cage, helmet and hand restraints, and bodywork are all vision obstructions yet drivers operate the cars at high speeds with extreme precision along with other cars running so close you could hand other drivers a soda. Airline pilots have very little situational vision, and a million truckers every day drive and back their vehicles in tight spaces with tiny mirrors and little straight rearward view.

Lay down windshield wipers on a jeep are a solution looking for dollars in profit imho.
The silly mods, new bodies, new tech to keep the line alive has only grown the community.
True. But my ornery side all in good fun mostly just can’t stand impractical mods on a jeep which is arguably the most banal, utilitarian, and simply serviceable vehicle on the market, simpler even than those $20k can am trail rigs, and more versatile. So chrome grills, mudflaps and flat windshield wipers along with $500 paint jobs on hi-lift jacks are pretty fair targets 😂😲🫢 Besides, isn’t a name like ‘wipe boy’ considered racist these days? At the very least it gives visions of a kid with diarrhea at summer camp.

· Registered
19,077 Posts
It does give you more travel. It clears the entire windshield top to bottom.
Thanks for showing up 12 years late to try and correct me but NO it does not provide more travel other than going further down as I stated 12 years ago. Unless you have wiper blades that are cam activated and get longer throughout the arc then it is impossible for it to clear "the entire windshield". They still travel the same distance in the upward direction, but they come to rest at the bottom vs 1/4 - 1/3 of the way to the bottom like I said in my post from 12 years ago.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Thanks for showing up 12 years late to try and correct me but NO it does not provide more travel other than going further down as I stated 12 years ago. Unless you have wiper blades that are cam activated and get longer throughout the arc then it is impossible for it to clear "the entire windshield". They still travel the same distance in the upward direction, but they come to rest at the bottom vs 1/4 - 1/3 of the way to the bottom like I said in my post from 12 years ago.
"The internet is forever...." comes to mind, 😆

· Premium Member
11,894 Posts
provide more travel other than going further down as I stated 12 years ago
Is there a statistic on the percent of wipeboy customers that have a fire extinguisher or own an oil filter wench?
And there’s still the issue these days of calling anyone “boy” isn’t there? Aunt Jemima is off the shelf now because of that and she’s so depressed about it she even deleted her online dating profile.

· Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Lay down windshield wipers on a jeep are a solution looking for dollars in profit imho.
There is nothing wrong with an idea that can make a profit. That is what the free enterprise system is all about.

I love seeing my wipers in the middle of the glass. Just like I love the old school truck and bus wipers that hung down from the top of the windshield. Cool and nostalgic stuff.

I really would like my wipers to clear the left side of the windshield closer to the pillar on a really nasty and snowy days though. There is no defroster in the world that can fix that problem. It has to be the wipers. It is only a wish though. I love my YJs and deal with it. It is just one of those quirks of owning one.

Yes. Wipe boy is a bad name. Why pick on the kid with diarrhea? Unless he drank a few 40oz malt liquors, some red wine, and backed it up with some Taco Bell, he probably was innocent on his path to having the Hershey squirts.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts