Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
19,066 Posts
It's not going to give you any more "travel" except to the new down position. If you already need arms etc. probably worth the money, just to have the wipers rest lower, not worth the money.

· Registered
37 Posts
I need new wiper blades and arms (Springs are shot, arms are tweaked, and rusty)
Should I get the wiperboy kit? How much more travel does it give the wipers?

Would you recommend it?
http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?ACTION=THISPAGE&THISPAGE=psdbi/WB-LMBSC.html&ORDER_ID=1807393902

Personally, I;ve been thinking about this kit for a while now. Just dont know if its worth the $$

Fall is here and winter is coming and out here in Vancouver our wipers get alot of mileage. Last winter I tried a product (from a cousin who owns a glass shop) called 'AquaPel'. Very easy to apply, its a high performance, longer lasting (6-8 months) version of RainX water repellant and it works amazing. Water beads off clear, visibility is amazing from a sprinkle to a torrential downpour (w/o using wipers!)

Anytime i have the jeep over 50km/hr and its raining i don't need my wipers... so it would really be cool to get them outta my line of sight!

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the PNW too an I completely understand the need for good wipers. I just ordered them, specifying I want an extra long motor arm. Hopefully I get complete window coverage with laydown wipers! :D worth a shot considering new wiper arms were going to be ~$40+wipers
Aquapel sounds awesome! I've had terrible luck with rain-x on my YJ (while great experiance with cars?), maybe aquapel is what I need. I'm certainly up for anything at this point.
I currently have wipers that chatter and smear across the window with non-exsistant rain-x that was just applied.

· RIP one good jeeper
21,304 Posts
I looked at this kit too. It seems great! New arms, blades and repositioning them all lower. There's one problem, how would you know if your arms were in need of replacing if you couldn't inspect them while driving?

I like when my passengers tell me to put my wipers down, then I reminded one of the time his wiper motor broke on his sedan in a downpour. Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee
Been there done that. And yes, I returned the squeegee too... after a 200 mile roadtrip in the rain. I had my passenger hanging out the window to clean the windshield on a volkswagen convertable. It was probably a pretty funny sight.

· Registered
507 Posts
i put it on my 92 8 years ago. at that time all they sold you was the arm that goes on the motor and you had to shorten the right wiper arm about an inch or so. i ran into the owner in a parking lot in so. cal and he gave me his card. the up travel is the same just the down travel goes all the way down. next to lifting my jeep 3 inches the best thing i ever did was get this. no more driving around with the wipers parked at the 1 o'clock position.

· Registered
5,037 Posts
Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee
I just pennied up $4 and got one from autozone:2thumbsup: I get a lot of laughs on the trail when I stop at creeks to wet it, even more when I use it on the road for the inside of the windshield. I'm thinking about trying to make some manual wipers for the inside of the windshield next summer.

bhartwell59: Just putting on TJ arms wouldn't work, you'd need a new wiper motor arm also. I don't know if the TJ and YJ arms are interchangeable.

· Registered
14,484 Posts
It's not going to give you any more "travel" except to the new down position. If you already need arms etc. probably worth the money, just to have the wipers rest lower, not worth the money.
I agree with this. If you drive your jeep daily then it might be worth it. I only drive mine to wheel and cruise around town, but mainly wheel. So to me it wouldn't be worth the money unless I needed to replace the whole assembly.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To everyone claiming it won't give more travel. Then please explain why they include a new longer motor arm?
To the guy that said there is only more down travel, more travel is more travel how you use it determines where the wiper goes.
I look forward to getting the kit and testing it out. There will be pictures and hard evidence of how much window coverage is improved.

It doesn't bother me to have the wipers park on the window, but I can imagine it will be great to not have them there, just like flipping the mirror around or taking off the upper part of the half doors.

· RIP one good jeeper
21,304 Posts
The longer arm just gives it more room at the "rest" position which keeps the wiper arms off the windshield. The only way to get a longer stroke is to change out the motor with one with a longer radius or change the geometric relationship of fulcrum to leverage point. I personally don't believe that this kit addresses that issue.

· Registered
14,320 Posts
To everyone claiming it won't give more travel. Then please explain why they include a new longer motor arm?
To the guy that said there is only more down travel, more travel is more travel how you use it determines where the wiper goes.
I look forward to getting the kit and testing it out. There will be pictures and hard evidence of how much window coverage is improved.

It doesn't bother me to have the wipers park on the window, but I can imagine it will be great to not have them there, just like flipping the mirror around or taking off the upper part of the half doors.
I'd really appreciate those pics. Thanks for that :cheers2:

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
19,066 Posts

There has to be a longer arm because the wipers now stop lower.

How exactly do you think having the wipers park lower allows you to "determine where the wiper goes"? That doesn't even make sense, the wiper will go 4 inches lower than it does now.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The current wipers have approx. 90 degrees of motion. From \ to / ish
With a longer arm on the motor, effectively increasing the arch the arm travels. This will increase the distance the draglink travels, the wipers will now move in a greater arch of approx. 135 degrees. From _ to /
I could make my wipers lay down incredibly easily. remove wiper install at bottom of window. Problem is the wipers will only move from here _ to | which is not enough to provide vision directly in front of the driver.
By obtaining that extra 45 degrees of motion, or travel, you are now clearing more of the windows visual obstruction.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this concept without further visuals. (Sorry if my other post was a little unclear, I was in a hurry on my phone.)

Whatever, if this kit doesn't do what it calms or what I hope. I will tweak it to do what i desire from it and will document for others to duplicate.

· Registered
19,066 Posts
Jesus man did you even bother to read what you wrote? That's EXACTLY what I told you to begin with, the only place you'll gain ANY coverage is from the current parked position to the flat down position. There will be NO increase in "coverage" other than the lower 4" of the windshield. I suppose if you're about 4'2" tall that would be a huge increase in coverage. It's your money spend it on what you want, but don't come off with such an attitude when YOU asked for opinions.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I had a feeling we were arguing semantics. Re-reading it now I see what you meant. I read it before as if you claimed it only moved the wipers parked location. I do not feel I had an attitude, sorry if that is how you felt but I was simply questioning your statement and proposing what I believed the system did. I appreciate your opinions and everyone who has posted in this thread.

Now back on track. I agree it is not a wise use of money if all you want is your wipers to park flat. Considering I needed new equipment, might be worth it I don't know yet.
What I do know from driving in heavy mountain snow last year is the triangle that is left by the current wiper system is annoying. IMHO I hope this addresses that issue.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remembered this thread and finally got around to compiling a video.
The kit does lower the wipers some, but this is counter acted by making the passenger wiper smaller.

Overall it was a huge improvement from my old wipers, but if you are buying it just to move the wipers lower don't bother. I'm not even sure if it is possible wwithout extensive window frame mods.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts