Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved from AZ to Spokane and this whole snow/winter driving thing is new to me. Looking for suggestions on what tires are good for this area/climate. I have a 97 Wrangler with pretty new Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's (31x10.5x15) and they are horrible in the current conditions at best. Even in 4WD I am slidding all over the place to to extent that I dont feel safe driving it. The guy at Discount recommended the Goodyear Duratracs. I also have a 2007 JKU but its only RWD (yes, I know but it's my wifes grocery hauler). I pulled off the Mickey Thompson Mud Terrains and put on the Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are performing really well. I would prefer a non dedicated snow tire on the TJ plus the Blizaks don't really come in anything close to my currrent size. the forums say good things about the ATZ's but I'm not sure what kind of snow those guys are driving in. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I also have a 97 TJ.

Wranglers aren't the best in slippery conditions due to the short wheelbase to begin with.

In Colorado I ran studded Duratracs on the Wranger in winter but to be honest I avoid driving the Jeep in slippery conditions. I drive my F150 instead, with sandbags in the bed and Blizzak snow tires.

Bilizzaks are imo the best snow tire going.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drive about 70 miles a day to Spokane to work, and sorry if folks don't like it....I'm no city kid, and I don't rely on "big brother" to dig me out....what I mean is that I quite often leave for work BEFORE the plow trucks, and BEFORE they put the de-icer on the highways.

I know folks today have come to rely HEAVILY on both of those when going to work, I remember the days before that stuff.

I run studs, and they make a major difference.
I've driven without them, and slip and slide all over the place.
I have aggressive snow tires also, and have been driving this distance for close to 30 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.