Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

wingless' '79 CJ-5

1528 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  wingless
This '79 CJ-5 was recently purchased by me. I am very excited to have this fine vehicle available to enjoy.

It has the 304 V8, a three speed manual transmission, 15" wagon wheels and Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 31X10.5R15LT tires.

How much is this vehicle lifted? What method(s) / part(s) were used to lift the vehicle? Are there dimensional measurements I can make on this vehicle that will aid in better understanding this lift question? My initial forum search did not reveal the answer to these questions.

Please advise if anything jumps out that needs attention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,685 Posts
Looks like an older 2 1/2" lift. Military wrap 2nd leaf, so not stock springs. Don't see anything that jumps out as being wrong from those pictures. Looks very stock under the hood with the pulse air system still intact.

Edit: radiator looks a little tilted, may check up on the mounts.

· Registered
3,418 Posts
Looks really nice!

Mantle Piece or Daily Driver?

As a rule, don't go snatching folks out of a bind with the trailer hitch,

it's not as beefy as one might think!

I'd keep it as is.

----JEEPFELLER

· Premium Member
9,710 Posts
Looks stock height.

The front springs from the factory had an arch of 5 3/4". It is measured from a line between the centre of the spring eyes down to the top of the leaf next to the centre bolt. This is at rest on the workbench, so when you install them the spring compresses. How much it compresses depends on the spring strength and the load.

As a guide if the imaginary line is in line with the top of the axle tube, it is not lifted. This is how your looks

Reactions: wingless

· Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,432 Posts
That is the only thing I see as well. Otherwise, it is a very good looking stock Renegade CJ-5.
Might want to put a piece of black screen in front of the dash speaker so you don't see the washed out speaker.
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Gas Magenta

Motor vehicle Font Gas Audio equipment Electronic instrument

· Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for all the great info and feedback.

@wallytoo, yes this was purchased from Bring a Trailer. It was loaded into an enclosed trailer for shipment from CA to FL.

@Fourtrail, yes the spring end appearance does look like those 2½" lift Military Wrap springs. Thanks for the tilted radiator observation.

@JEEPFELLER, this is my "toy" for popping around and for playing w/ wrench turning. VERY retro for me, a CJ-5 was my first vehicle, but not as nice as this one.

@BagusJeep, when performing that measurement, can that be performed w/ the axles / wheels dangling while the Jeep is suspended on jack stands, or only applicable for a detached spring?

@keith460, the radio / speakers will initially remain as-is, but I'm thinking of changing the dash panel to this Rugged Ridge panel painted in the same Ensign Blue paint, but gaining a second speaker grill, on the driver's side. (It would also lose the existing extra drill holes in the top center of the dash.) If / when I go that route I'm leaning towards something like this RetroSound Hermosa stereo with something like these Kicker 47KSC504 5¼" speakers.

@btbufford, the addition of an under dash A/C by me has been considered for this southern FL vehicle.

So far my biggest disappointment has been the unavailability of the soft top in blue, so I ordered this Bestop Super Top in tan.

The around town tires / wheels will be these Michelin Defender LTX M/S 31X10.5R15LT tires on these white Cragar Series 310 Nomad wheels w/ chrome center caps, once all the parts arrive. The tires arrive today, but the wheels will take two months...

These Jeep Heritage Levi seats in blue look amazing, except for the price.

· Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Those springs look like the stock 2 stage design used on 76-78 models. . I'm pretty sure that 79 and later models they went away from the 2 stage design. Yet you say that its a 79 model. Maybe an early 79. If it was a 2-1/2" lift, there would be more clearance between the tires (31x10.50"s) and the stock style fender flares. Thats a nice looking CJ-5. Keep it stock looking.

· Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful Jeep. Is that a OEM paint color?? The under hood pic looks much lighter. Regardless……stunning Jeep
Thanks so much.

Yes, this Ensign Blue was a standard 1979 color. Yes, the paint and decals have recently been freshened, hence the difference to the engine area.

· Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again, that really is a nice CJ-5. I would have never parted with it. I had a good offer for mine very recently and I turned it down and yours is nicer than mine.(y)
This vehicle included a folded stack of registration documents, dated back to when the Jeep was new, all to the same original owner. (I hope he is okay..)

This is also waaay nicer than my first vehicle, a new CJ-5 that I started driving in '74.

· Premium Member
14,964 Posts
I knew I had a photo of my old jeep somewhere.

I've often regretted selling this one.

Photo from around 1993.
Cross-posted here:

· Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good eye.

The radiator was installed w/ mismatched holes on the right and left.

It was replaced using the same holes. The fan blades JUST barely touched the shroud. The bolts were loosened and the shroud was manually biased away from the blade and the bolts tightened again, now regaining clearance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts