Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cherokee Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield wipers rarely ever work properly in the delay position. Instead of working on a delay as they should, they work at the same speed as the slow position. In the slow and fast positions, they do exactly as they're supposed to. The main problem I have is that when I turn them off, they don't return to the stop position. They will remain exactly where they were when I turn them off. Not sure if related, but my rear wiper works fine and returns to the stop position. I think I just need to replace the relay but could this be another problem?

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,474 Posts
I think I recall that there is a park switch on or in the wiper motor that you can adjust.

Otherwise, I would suspect the wiper switch assembly.

Product Rectangle Schematic Slope Font

·
Registered
28 Posts
The same happened on my 88 XJ. Turns out the connector was loose. A bit of a long thin multi-wire connector low along the steering column. I believe I was able to get to it from under the dash. Might be an easy thing to check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not worked on my Jeep wiper motor (yet) but if it is anything like other wiper motors on older cars I have worked on there could be an other problem too:

Inside the little gearbox mounted on the e-motor you will typically also find some contacts sliding over a ring. Over the years dirt and crap accumulates, have at what I found on my 1986 Alfa Spider Wiper motor assembly.

again, not sure if this is similar to the Jeep,set up? Would be interesting to hear?

Jeroen

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
I have not worked on my Jeep wiper motor (yet) but if it is anything like other wiper motors on older cars I have worked on there could be an other problem too:

Inside the little gearbox mounted on the e-motor you will typically also find some contacts sliding over a ring. Over the years dirt and crap accumulates, have at what I found on my 1986 Alfa Spider Wiper motor assembly.

again, not sure if this is similar to the Jeep,set up? Would be interesting to hear?

Jeroen

Another Alfa owner?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another Alfa owner?
Yes, I have had my 1986 Alfa Spider since 1995. Also own a 1982 Mercedes W123 and a 2002 Jaguar XJR. And of course, since about 8 weeks a 1998 Jeep Cherokee.
also own some boring modern tin, not worth mentioning. Although it still needs my attention. Tomorrow I am changing out the AC condensor on my wife’s 2015 Ford Fiesta

Jeroen

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
At first this sounds like two separate issues. The intermittant and the park issue. CJ7 is correct there is a "park" switch near the motor. This is an "open seeking switch" This switch is in parallel with the wiper switch on the stalk. It provides power whenever the stalk is activated. When the stalk switch moves to "off" the park switch continues to provide power until the motor reaches a certain point then opens, stopping the cycle. According to CJ7s print, it appears to be part of the motor assembly. Depending upon how it failed, it could possibly cause erratic of the intermittant feature. Personally, I like Ocams Razor scenarios

1 - 8 of 8 Posts