Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nailing down some mods I'd like to do when I tear down to do rust repair and paint.

Any reason to not shave the drip rail?

Passenger side is already mangled from a tree so I figure it's an extra inch per side of clearance.

Anyone done this and if so how'd it go?

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,281 Posts
IIRC the drip rail down the side is where the 2 halves are spot welded together, if you cut them off, your windshield would come apart on the vertical seams.

·
Premium Member
10,852 Posts
Ah, vertical drip rail. Copy!

Yes, that has the spot welds for the two halves of the frame.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I figured they'd have to be welded as usually drip rails are a seam spot.

I've got two windshield frames so I guess if it doesn't work out I'm not completely SOL.

There are still spot welds along the top and bottom so it wouldn't actually fall apart but I wouldn't just cut it and leave it. It would get welded up and metal finished before paint.

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,281 Posts
Still trying to figure out the wheeling with a windshield on.... guess that is why my wheeler has pre 74 winshield frame and hinges. Just lift off the windshield, hard to hit a tree with it if it is back in the truck at the trailhead.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Still trying to figure out the wheeling with a windshield on.... guess that is why my wheeler has pre 74 winshield frame and hinges. Just lift off the windshield, hard to hit a tree with it if it is back in the truck at the trailhead.
i usually drive the cj to the trailhead, rather than trailer it, due to proximity of trails to my residence. i also prefer not to get poked/smacked in the face by the branches and brush overhanging the roads while wheeling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts