Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
961 - 970 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #961 ·
I'd been sick for 3 days last week so I didn't get anything done to the Jeep. Think/Hope it was just the flu but who knows anymore these days. Finally started to feel better on Friday so I was in the garage bright and early Saturday (not really didn't get out there until 11AM) and decided it was time to tackle the cage braces for the windshield area. I'd always been a little leery about installing them due to line of sight stuff and them getting into my viewing area. But after seeing some of the rigs that didn't have them and how the bars bent I finally decided I'd install them.

And like with EVERYTHING I do to this rig I did one thing and now have 5 more things to do. I'd made a bracket for my GPS years ago and really like where it was but if I'd tried to install the braces with it there they would REALLY be in my line of sight.

So I did what had to be done and I cut that bracket off.... DANG NAB it sucked.

Measured and found the center of the bar and then played with the braces for a bit.

Played with them and did a little grinding and then got them where I was happy.

I tried to NOT have to take the overhead console off but I couldn't get a good shot at the back side of the tubing. And yes I gobbered them welds some but I think they'll hold.

Bottom of drivers side

Passenger side

And from the front.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
Then I worked on the reinforcement ring for the rear hitch. Had to grind down the welds some and then notch the ring to fit.

I'll get it welded on here in a day or two. I need to remove the rear bumper for paint so I can do the welding them as it'll be easier.

I also received some parts for the rear axle and a PLAN I have working in my brain.

Also received the brake line so I can bend new lines for the rear axle. Not sure yet what I'm doing with the front axle as far as brake lines and such.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
Then on Monday mother nature thru a fit and decided that the joke was on us. It might be spring but the snow isn't done yet.

After I'd gotten done with the V brace I pulled the bases off my seats as they had some rusted areas and wanted to get them bead blasted and painted prior to putting them back into the Jeep. So I got them cleaned up today.

Then wiped them down and got them ready for paint.

Then flipped them over and painted the other side.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
The past 2 weeks have been slow for Jeep work. First I had some appointments I had to go to and then I got the flu or something. I was cleaning the garage up and moving things around so that I could get my Harley out of the garage and I lost my balance and fell against my plasma cutter.

First step was to get the front axle out of the way.

Then there is just nothing sexier in the world than a engine on a cherry picker.

Man it looks so bare.

And then set the engine onto the engine stand.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
I was actually able to open up my doors to the garage which was nice.

And then because a lot of people had posted good things about them I decided to get one of the Stahlbus drain plug kits.

Max torque is 18 ft lb

So I went with 17 ft lb as I always seem to go over just a bit.

Should make it easier to change the oil now.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #967 ·
Next was to remove the drivetrain.

Getting those cables disconnected again was a PITA let me tell you. Glad it isn't something I have to do often.

My transmission jack has decided it doesn't want to go high enough to be able to reach the STaK's t-case so I had to use my old one that mounts to my floor jack. Looks like I'll have to get a new transmission jack.

And then the transmission came out no problem using the transmission jack.

Now that everything is out of the way some of the final welding I've got to do on the frame is things like the trackbar bracket.

And this brace for the shock tower.

And the steering tower

I'm sure there are other little things I've got to finish but it's coming along. Once this welding is done I can tackle the painting of the frame so I can start putting everything back together.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 ·
Well I guess I need to catch you all up some.

These had been on back order for I don't know how long and while another one would have worked I just liked this design. TMR carries some really nice stuff so a shout out to them.

It's a double shear clamp for the hyd assist cyl and IMO is pretty cool.

OK back to work....

Since my STaK's has been sitting for 10 years I decided I should change the oil in it. But DANG NAB the stuff coming out of it looked great.

And then back to melting metal together.
Added the tie in on the passenger shock mount.

And did the final weld on the steering tower brace.

Then burned in the trackbar bracket on the frame.

Did the final welds on the Savvy midarm brackets. The strap I'd used to support the transmission had always been in the way.

And then the tab for the lower heim joint for the steering rod.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
Next was to cut a slot in the tops of the shock towers for the hose to the remote reservoirs can fit thru.

Both sides done.

Next was figuring out how I was going to mount the fuel filter bracket as it was just slightly larger than the width of the frame.

So I took a piece of flat stock and drilled holes in it.

The upper hole was going to be above the frame so I welded a nut to the back side flat stock and upper hole.

Then I marked the frame & drilled and then tapped the hole.

And since I was running custom lines I needed a return line from the fuel pressure regulator so I needed a bracket for the bulkhead fitting.

And then test fitted the fuel filter bracket.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
I had these work lights that took halogen bulbs and half the time they NEVER worked so I finally broke down and replaced them with LED lights. Can't wait to try them out. And BTW the green work light was the only light I had the last time I'd built the Jeep.

Dang Nab man handling these axles around are a royal PITA let me tell you. But I got them both removed and moved out of the way so I can finish the work on the frame and then paint it.

It looks so empty under there now.

Then my daughter took me out to dinner and then I got home UPS had dropped of my Amazon order. Way back in 2007 STaK's offered a sight tube similar to what the Atlas has. But the fittings they'd used were not up to the tasking of my calibrated arm and I'd over tightened one. And of course it BROKE. So I'd forgotten about it but since I was messing around with t-case I'd decided I'd try the idea again. The fill & drain holes are 1/2" NPT so I ordered some push fittings in steel this time.

Can't wait to get it reinstalled and filled so I can see how it works.

961 - 970 of 970 Posts