Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone in my family love dogs. But when we go over to my brothers house, my four year old little girl gets scared out of her mind. My brother has a 260 pound English mastiff, the dog is really sweet. But for some reason my little girl doesn’t want to be anywhere near the dog. From day one, she has just been terrified of the dog, she was really hesitant to meet the dog the first time, she did it. But then I noticed that she was afraid.

why is this? We have a border collie at home and they get along and play together just fine. When my brothers dog starts barking or stands up, or just walks near her, my daughter will run to me wanting to be picked up. She doesn’t even want to be in the same room as the dog, even when I’m holding her In my arms, she doesn’t want me to go anywhere near him.

of course I respect my daughter and I make sure she feels safe. But why is she like this?

My brothers dog has done nothing wrong. Why is she acting so scared of him? Like I said we have a border collie at home and they play together. Is she just pretending to be scared for attention? Because I know she loves dogs. What’s up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well lets think about this logically, she is 4 years old and the dog is 260lbs, she sees how big the GIANT 4 legged monster is and how much it drools. Also she probably thinks that thing can swallow her in one bite. That would be my guess, you have to get her to start giving the dog treats, make sure she commands the dog to either sit or lay before giving the dog the treat. Let her see she is in charge of the dog and the situation, once she starts seeing the dog listens to her simple commands she will change he mind about it most likely.

·
Registered
11,401 Posts
well its much like anything in life you never seen a big dog and how well it handles children. Big dogs have big teeth, big dog bark.

Long ago we raised a wolf hybrid that loved kids any kids, 130lbs and 27 inches at the withers, long legs. She grew up with ours Kids. from like 4 weeks old. played with kids on a baseball team too. she was amazing with kids. think she thought they were hers. She had issue with dogs she did not know or care too if they got aggressive or if anyone tried to punish a kid she did not like that too.. She never barked too, not her way. She watched, if she got mad the teeth would show like alien. If it was serious I seen her take down a few dogs that rushed her. She hunted our property with a beagle<. weirdest sight you ever seen. The beagle would flush a rabbit out, Maya would some how know where to wait for the ambush. Rabbit would be running from the beagle right into a intercepting maya. Like a wolf pack beagle. She died at almost 14 years.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Lets change the logic a little bit here. Lets say you go out to a strange farm and ask the farmer for permission to pick berries in his pasture. He says sure why not, and tells you there is a big 2000 pound bull in there but he is freindly. Well human nature tells you that bulls are mean and since they weight 10X what you do you will naturally be afraid when you see him coming toward you. Now imagine that little girl being approached by a monstrous dog. My problem isnt with kids. My problem is with the parents freaking out. When we go camping I get groups of kids that all rush my dog to pet him. Its quite comical to see the faces of their parents as we stand there letting each kid take their turn.

Plant Dog Plant community Carnivore Working animal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts